Shoutout To Those With The Shitty Jobs

Tagger

Yesterday night saw the start of the latest Von Axelberry saga where he was sent down to play in the VHLM. The problem in that situation though was that the contract he was offered by his GM that he accepted was $4M, $1M more than the allowed $3M players have to be at to play in the VHLM. Funnily enough, the top post of the send down kicking off the thread had the Bears GM saying he didn't know why he had been called up, something that the financier was absolutely right to do! So I'm making this thread as a shoutout to the guys who do the shitty jobs.

@Street x Lite for running the contracts. Luckily this job doesn't see that much action during a certain part of the season, but having done this job myself in another league, the bits that you do have to do suck and you have to constantly be on your toes, especially when bone-idle GMs decide to go "Oh, just give him the minimum". Like, for fucks sake man, there's literally a link in the top post that takes you to the place where the salary rules are!

@Corco @Kendrick @Pablo for updating (if there's one other I'm missing I apologize!). This is going to likely get ten times shittier than usual thanks to the updated update scale. Updating their own players is something that even the veterans of the scene mess up every now and again, luckily we've got these gents to sort it out.

There are more (the simmers, the sim updater, motherfucking @Will, @DollarAndADream putting up with several months of zero grading), but I'm over my word limit, so fuck you, but actually thank you!

• Senior Admin
6 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

@Corco @Kendrick @Pablo for updating (if there's one other I'm missing I apologize!). This is going to likely get ten times shittier than usual thanks to the updated update scale. Updating their own players is something that even the veterans of the scene mess up every now and again, luckily we've got these gents to sort it out.

@Velevra our quiet but deadly (and also very much reliable) sim updater! 

6 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

@Street x Lite for running the contracts. Luckily this job doesn't see that much action during a certain part of the season, but having done this job myself in another league, the bits that you do have to do suck and you have to constantly be on your toes, especially when bone-idle GMs decide to go "Oh, just give him the minimum". Like, for fucks sake man, there's literally a link in the top post that takes you to the place where the salary rules are!

Yeah, this is one of those jobs that really sucks more than it looks like it does. I learned that the hard way that one season when I tried to quickly do finances in the off-season with all my other shit going on..failed epic-ly :P thanks Street! 

3 minutes ago, STZ said:

At least he's not slingin quarter chickens at the local chalet

yo what's up with the new quarter chick flavours? i'm definitely ordering at least one of the new flavours this week. @Jericho I need recommendations from my server.

5 minutes ago, Higgins said:

yo what's up with the new quarter chick flavours? i'm definitely ordering at least one of the new flavours this week. @Jericho I need recommendations from my server.

Sriracha lime and peri peri are both kind of spicy, butter chicken tastes like Indian cuisine and Baja bbq is the one to take if you don't want either of those. You get two sides with each meal and a bag of chalet chips too.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Sriracha lime and peri peri are both kind of spicy, butter chicken tastes like Indian cuisine and Baja bbq is the one to take if you don't want either of those. You get two sides with each meal and a bag of chalet chips too.

deal of the century right here folks. i almost feel like i should leave you a tip.

1 minute ago, Higgins said:

People eat this shit? Really? I mean I know, Kyle works their he's told me he has these things called customers. But I was always suspect about that. I've been like twice in my life and it's legit the most lame ass generic tasting pseudo "real dinner" experience their is. 

Like this shit is tiered in terms of quality of food and ingredients, the amount of time spent on the experience, the cost of course, and even how much variety they have or how deep their alcohol menu is. 

Fast Food is obviously the lowest tier. Sure that has become tiered itself, because you have chains like Fat Burger, Five Guys and the like trying to class up the fast food experience with real ingredients, but the reality is you still are paying for something that isn't as fresh or quality as even the grocery store experience in most cases. Up from that is Swiss Chalet essentially. It's just barely above fast food. Other notable chains fit into that bill too, such as East Side Mario's for example. Things that rely more heavily on gimmicks than the actual quality of their food of the "atmosphere experience." I'd venture to say a big reason why these chains do so well is because most casuals are afraid to experiment, they are comfortable with traditional experiences, these places cater way more to family types too. Not only because the prices are cheaper but because the atmosphere is less dominated by alcohol in general. It's less sports bar focused. Up from this tier is my eating experience regularly when I eat out. Places that cost just a bit more, but they have craft beers, they have sports on the TV, they often serve more pub style food but even they have menu's with quality meals that can run you a price. A lot more of these are out there, in fact I'd argue this tier right here absolutely dominates the entire market share. Mostly because as the statistics show, less marriages at early ages, which means often less kids, and more fittingly more people who choose to drink. Often these places segregate a lounge and a restaurant, and still offer just below "The Keg" or fancy places style of food. I eat at these places often because the price isn't so bad that it's impossible to deal with and of course as an avid beer drinker I've pretty much become ingrained in the "drink local beer" movement that has spread across the globe. It's not even an anti corporation policy either, I just think this idea that we are all supporting each other as a community in times when job certainty is at an all time low, that it's good for the industry. Plus I actually can taste the differences in quality beer, and trying new things in that regard is an enjoyable experience. 

And then you start entering the higher tier stuff. From "basically at affordable" to just a bit pricey with chains like The Keg. All the way to your fancy ass fancy hundreds of dollars a meal places which you are basically getting treated to professional chefs at that point. I've eaten at every experience. The Swiss Chalet experience is one hundred percent the tier I visit the least. It has nothing that is appealing. With the fast food tier you get the benefit of something very convenient, plus even if the quality is low, it very much has that candy bar or soda pop appeal of it just tastes good, especially when your craving it. And while the super high end stuff is expensive, it obviously has large appeal. When Chris Kyle and I went to the fancy restaurant at the CN Tower that spins, the quality of the meal and the overall experience is can't be beat. Places like that are very much often clear examples of paying for a lot and at least getting something that isn't just a meal. The tier I eat at often obviously has lots of appeals, because of the rise of hipster culture these places offer just enough variety at decent prices, but they still offer an experience to boot. Sure in most cases you have to be into the sport experience. But I see tons of these places leaning into other things. We recently went to a local sports bar here called Roosters that offers live music several times a week with local artists. I've seen several places also do the "drink and paint" thing that caters to a wider variety. Essentially these places stay connected enough to culture that they don't end up feeling like just some chain with a sales gimmick. They feel community driven. Chalet too me and chains like it feel like a thing of the past. The audience they have is obviously dwindling. I'd say more and more christian families show up to places like that than some of the other experiences I"m talking about for example. And it just feels like a relic as I said. Something everyone did in the 70's 80's and 90's because those things were very much some of the only dinner eat out experiences you get. 

@Devise with the huge lecture of a response to @Higgins small comment. :lol:

But yeah, the grading situation sucks. We used to get guys applying to be graders all the time, but now we don't. It's super easy TPE, so I don't really get it. Especially now with reviewing instead of grading....you can get 2 TPE in like 20 minutes or less. All you have to do is check the word count, make sure it's VHL related, and then leave some kind of comment about whatever they wrote. EZ PZ

There was a time when I would be grading everything to make sure nothing went by ungraded, but that's impossible now unless I spend hours per week on it. Not worth it. I still check things here and there of course and do my job, but it's gotten a little reckless.

1 minute ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

whoops 

It's not all on you. You were consistently great for a long time, along with ADwyer.

Although, it seemed like once the both of you stopped being active, which seemed to be at exactly the same time, things just went downhill and never rose back up. Seemed like you guys stopped being super active once the FIGA Awards were gotten rid of.

18 minutes ago, Devise said:

People eat this shit? Really? I mean I know, Kyle works their he's told me he has these things called customers. But I was always suspect about that. I've been like twice in my life and it's legit the most lame ass generic tasting pseudo "real dinner" experience their is. 

Like this shit is tiered in terms of quality of food and ingredients, the amount of time spent on the experience, the cost of course, and even how much variety they have or how deep their alcohol menu is. 

Fast Food is obviously the lowest tier. Sure that has become tiered itself, because you have chains like Fat Burger, Five Guys and the like trying to class up the fast food experience with real ingredients, but the reality is you still are paying for something that isn't as fresh or quality as even the grocery store experience in most cases. Up from that is Swiss Chalet essentially. It's just barely above fast food. Other notable chains fit into that bill too, such as East Side Mario's for example. Things that rely more heavily on gimmicks than the actual quality of their food of the "atmosphere experience." I'd venture to say a big reason why these chains do so well is because most casuals are afraid to experiment, they are comfortable with traditional experiences, these places cater way more to family types too. Not only because the prices are cheaper but because the atmosphere is less dominated by alcohol in general. It's less sports bar focused. Up from this tier is my eating experience regularly when I eat out. Places that cost just a bit more, but they have craft beers, they have sports on the TV, they often serve more pub style food but even they have menu's with quality meals that can run you a price. A lot more of these are out there, in fact I'd argue this tier right here absolutely dominates the entire market share. Mostly because as the statistics show, less marriages at early ages, which means often less kids, and more fittingly more people who choose to drink. Often these places segregate a lounge and a restaurant, and still offer just below "The Keg" or fancy places style of food. I eat at these places often because the price isn't so bad that it's impossible to deal with and of course as an avid beer drinker I've pretty much become ingrained in the "drink local beer" movement that has spread across the globe. It's not even an anti corporation policy either, I just think this idea that we are all supporting each other as a community in times when job certainty is at an all time low, that it's good for the industry. Plus I actually can taste the differences in quality beer, and trying new things in that regard is an enjoyable experience. 

And then you start entering the higher tier stuff. From "basically at affordable" to just a bit pricey with chains like The Keg. All the way to your fancy ass fancy hundreds of dollars a meal places which you are basically getting treated to professional chefs at that point. I've eaten at every experience. The Swiss Chalet experience is one hundred percent the tier I visit the least. It has nothing that is appealing. With the fast food tier you get the benefit of something very convenient, plus even if the quality is low, it very much has that candy bar or soda pop appeal of it just tastes good, especially when your craving it. And while the super high end stuff is expensive, it obviously has large appeal. When Chris Kyle and I went to the fancy restaurant at the CN Tower that spins, the quality of the meal and the overall experience is can't be beat. Places like that are very much often clear examples of paying for a lot and at least getting something that isn't just a meal. The tier I eat at often obviously has lots of appeals, because of the rise of hipster culture these places offer just enough variety at decent prices, but they still offer an experience to boot. Sure in most cases you have to be into the sport experience. But I see tons of these places leaning into other things. We recently went to a local sports bar here called Roosters that offers live music several times a week with local artists. I've seen several places also do the "drink and paint" thing that caters to a wider variety. Essentially these places stay connected enough to culture that they don't end up feeling like just some chain with a sales gimmick. They feel community driven. Chalet too me and chains like it feel like a thing of the past. The audience they have is obviously dwindling. I'd say more and more christian families show up to places like that than some of the other experiences I"m talking about for example. And it just feels like a relic as I said. Something everyone did in the 70's 80's and 90's because those things were very much some of the only dinner eat out experiences you get. 

2FsMqyo.gif

i'mma still get me some chicken tho

1 minute ago, DollarAndADream said:

It's not all on you. You were consistently great for a long time, along with ADwyer.

Although, it seemed like once the both of you stopped being active, which seemed to be at exactly the same time, things just went downhill and never rose back up. Seemed like you guys stopped being super active once the FIGA Awards were gotten rid of.

Pretty sure the FIGA timing was pure coincidence. I will get back to grading soon though. or I'll try anyway. 

1 minute ago, DollarAndADream said:

I'm in Canada and I don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

It's called Swiss Chalet. It's a "Factory Quality" Dinner Experience. :P 

1 minute ago, Devise said:

It's called Swiss Chalet. It's a "Factory Quality" Dinner Experience. :P 

Oh, I've been there like once in my life. Never really connected with me, I guess. :lol:

I read Chalet, but I didn't think Swiss Chalet was that big, lol. It certainly isn't with anyone I know.

swiss-chalet.jpg

That is the quality of food at Swiss Chalet. Look at that pathetic shit. It even looks depressed to exist, how in the hell am I supposed to feel eating it? Like sure, if it's the only place open you get a nice strong beer and swallow that shit down. But that compared to this place I went too the other day called Roosters, which price wise is almost just as cheap as Chalet. (It's probably maybe a few dollars more per meal)

amazing-food.jpg

That is right. Look at that real ingredient thing. Even the veggies on that burger look better than the whole stupid Chalet salad. Whats more? You can make your burger how you want it at this place, they have a burger bar/buffet with all fresh local ingredients. And for lunch if you get there you get a pint of beer, a burger bar, and a slice of home grown pizza for only $20. Like fuck me. 

I digress. People can eat up what they want to eat up. :P 

20 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

@Devise with the huge lecture of a response to @Higgins small comment. :lol:

But yeah, the grading situation sucks. We used to get guys applying to be graders all the time, but now we don't. It's super easy TPE, so I don't really get it. Especially now with reviewing instead of grading....you can get 2 TPE in like 20 minutes or less. All you have to do is check the word count, make sure it's VHL related, and then leave some kind of comment about whatever they wrote. EZ PZ

There was a time when I would be grading everything to make sure nothing went by ungraded, but that's impossible now unless I spend hours per week on it. Not worth it. I still check things here and there of course and do my job, but it's gotten a little reckless.

Don't worry I'll get on top of it. Bank a crap load of TPE too.