2017 NHL Playoffs Discussion

Higgins

If the Caps don't win the Cup this year I'm going to riot. Like seriously, how many more years do they have a shot at it? More importantly will they ever have a shot where on paper they are as good as right now? I'd like to think that we should sweep or beat Toronto in 5. Caps have every edge over the Leafs. So we'll see how things shake out as Thursday begins. But I know I'll be nervous every game until this Caps team shows me a reason to be confident in the playoffs. 

The real question I think is out west. First time seeing McDavid in the playoffs, lots of question marks about who I think the favorite is to come out of the West honestly. 

55 minutes ago, Devise said:

If the Caps don't win the Cup this year I'm going to riot. Like seriously, how many more years do they have a shot at it? More importantly will they ever have a shot where on paper they are as good as right now? I'd like to think that we should sweep or beat Toronto in 5. Caps have every edge over the Leafs. So we'll see how things shake out as Thursday begins. But I know I'll be nervous every game until this Caps team shows me a reason to be confident in the playoffs. 

The real question I think is out west. First time seeing McDavid in the playoffs, lots of question marks about who I think the favorite is to come out of the West honestly. 

The playoffs is a different animal so seeing McDavid will be interesting considering this is where all those hacks and hacks can effectively be considered "legal" because the NHL's playoffs are different from their regular season.

8 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

The playoffs is a different animal so seeing McDavid will be interesting considering this is where all those hacks and hacks can effectively be considered "legal" because the NHL's playoffs are different from their regular season.

That is very true. The officiating situation will again be interesting to watch, but I think you are probably correct in that regard. They always let more battles go in the playoffs and I don't know if Edmonton has enough overall size and grit to last. Even against the Sharks I think betting on the Oilers to win that series is tough. With the exception of Montreal and maybe Ottawa it could be a very fast playoffs for a lot of the Canadian teams. It's a great year for all of them to make it, but most of them are so young and inexperienced that it may just be coaches hoping bigger tougher teams educate their younger clubs on what it takes to win in the post season. But I mean in a 7 round series, a lot can happen haha. 

im cheering for the Caps first and foremost. I want Ovechkin to win the cup. he deserves it. then San Jose because Big Joe and Marleau need a cup.

then Montreal because my dads fav team, then Toronto because Matthews is amazing then Edmonton because McDavid is fucking McDavid. 

5 hours ago, Devise said:

That is very true. The officiating situation will again be interesting to watch, but I think you are probably correct in that regard. They always let more battles go in the playoffs and I don't know if Edmonton has enough overall size and grit to last. Even against the Sharks I think betting on the Oilers to win that series is tough. With the exception of Montreal and maybe Ottawa it could be a very fast playoffs for a lot of the Canadian teams. It's a great year for all of them to make it, but most of them are so young and inexperienced that it may just be coaches hoping bigger tougher teams educate their younger clubs on what it takes to win in the post season. But I mean in a 7 round series, a lot can happen haha. 

Yeah the Sharks are battle tested, bigger and a much grittier team so I don't see Edmonton withstanding the abuse.

Top 2 centers for SJ have been out with injuries at the end of the season, Thornton and Couture, but they are skating so they are probably good to go for game 1 but who knows a what %.

11 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Top 2 centers for SJ have been out with injuries at the end of the season, Thornton and Couture, but they are skating so they are probably good to go for game 1 but who knows a what %.

I'd take Couture at 95% sans everyone but McDavid and probably even over when you factor in playoffs. I don't see many Canadian teams sans Montreal coming out of the first round.

2 minutes ago, Devise said:

I'd take Couture at 95% sans everyone but McDavid and probably even over when you factor in playoffs. I don't see many Canadian teams sans Montreal coming out of the first round.

Montreal if Price steals it. Otherwise NY all day.

I got (it was randomly picked) St.Louis in a playoff pool so I'm gonna cheer for them. I am a Tarasenko fan and i've never really hated them so theres that. Chicago has gotta keep the streak up of winning every second year and I think they got a solid shot at it.

I never look past Joe Pavelski. Pavelski is known as a playoff warrior and often time I think people overlook him. This is a guy who is largely a second line player with 79 points in 105 playoff games. Pavelski is in that playoff warrior group that includes Patrick  Eaves, Dan Cleary, Troy Brouwer and to a lesser extent in the past Dave Bolland.

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I never look past Joe Pavelski. Pavelski is known as a playoff warrior and often time I think people overlook him. This is a guy who is largely a second line player with 79 points in 105 playoff games. Pavelski is in that playoff warrior group that includes Patrick  Eaves, Dan Cleary, Troy Brouwer and to a lesser extent in the past Dave Bolland.

Justin Williams is in that group as well.

3 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Pavelski - Thornton - Karlsson or Lebanc is a great 1st line

Sharks have very good depth. That 2nd line has some pretty sweet chemistry now with the two danes.

Hansen - Hertl - Boedker