2017 NHL Playoffs Discussion

Higgins

5 hours ago, gregreg said:

Ovi isn't much better 

Ovi goes looking for hits yes. However, Kadri has crossed the line on more than one occasion. At least stand up for yourself after, but he doesn't he turns his back.

59 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Ovi goes looking for hits yes. However, Kadri has crossed the line on more than one occasion. At least stand up for yourself after, but he doesn't he turns his back.

Ovi speard at least two guys last night. And Kadri isn't going to fight anyone, shouldn't have to. Kadri is a guy I'm glad is on my team.

You guys bitch too much in here 

7 minutes ago, gregreg said:

Ovi speard at least two guys last night. And Kadri isn't going to fight anyone, shouldn't have to. Kadri is a guy I'm glad is on my team.

You guys bitch too much in here 

Ovi speared Kadri in the ribs once, that's all I've seen. Kadri isn't going to fight anyone, no. You're right he isn't, but he should have to if you look at the history of cheap shots he has delivered. Sedin, Chariot and now this. Of course you are glad he is, because if he did this hit on Matthews on another team you'd be crying wolf.

I get the bias but Kadri turtles away from confrontation all the time. Great skill player, but someone is going to go knock him out one day because he is a coward. Then in the post-game media scrums he always tries to act innocent. Toronto is glad that "they know people" in the league office otherwise this guy would see some suspensions come his way.

We used to have a guy like that named Cam Janssen. The only difference is he would fight if he needed to, but often times his hits were absolutely late and he was head hunting. I hated him because it paints a bad picture. If Kadri wants to continue doing this I actually feel bad for the rest of his teammates because guys like Matthews, Marner and Nylander are going to be targeted and then you Leaf fans will cry bloody murder because of it.

Ovie isn't perfect and he sells penalties. But in almost every situation he was called for diving there is still an original penalty on the play. Aka there was a penalty and Ovie sold it more.

There was no way he dove and played hurt on the knee on knee. I mean if you have any grasp of physics you can clearly see Kadri hits him directly on the knee. Meanwhile later Ovie gives Kadri the weakest slash of all time and Kadri flat out delay reactions dives. Like his dive was embarrassing.

29 minutes ago, gregreg said:

This is why I don't try and "discuss" hockey online. Smh at both of you

The saddest shit I've seen in a long time

For what? I think we are trying to be as unbiased as possible. What are we saying that is smh worthy? That Kadri dove? Here let's show some evidence just to make this easy.

hipcheck.jpg

You can clearly see despite it being a hip check attempt, Kadri was reckless, led with his knee and as you see the piont of contact right there Kadri's knee he is leaning in with CLEARLY hits the knee of Ovechkin. Like as clear as day. Ovechkin didn't "jump" over him he was one leg and he flipped over top because otherwise it was a well timed hip check. Had Kadri's knee not made contact with Ovechkins knee there is nothing wrong with this hit. 

Here is the play in full motion.

Ovechkin tried to move his other leg out of the way and in doing so Kadri was able to low bridge him on the one leg he had on the ice. While I don't think it should of been a five minute major (even if he was permanently injured) because it wasn't that dangerous of a play to warrant that type of penalty. But it did deserve two minutes for clipping. Hip checks are less used because the NHL has rules against going knee on knee. The onus is on Kadri to make sure if he's leading with his knee like that to avoid clipping his opponent too far below the waist. He didn't, and the right call was made. A two minute penalty (for tripping, it should of been clipping but whatever). 

Meanwhile

How in the world is that not a dive? Neither Niskanen or Ovechkin slashed Kadri hard enough to warrant a penalty, especially in the playoffs. And even if they had of, even if it was the worlds most deadliest slash, Kadri didn't react till WELL after he was hit. Niskanen hits him on the side of the leg after Ovechkin gives him a light bump and Kadri acts as if his leg was just ripped out from under him and flops down. 

Either way I don't see bias in these arguments. I have flat out said Ovechkin sells calls, I'm not denying he does. But in most instances he's selling a real call too hard as I mentioned. In this instance with Kadri, there is nothing to sell there. Even if you want to claim Ovechkin pretended to be more hurt on the knee on knee than he actually was fine, sure whatever. He still reacted on the play without flopping around about it. Kadri jumped from his other leg and fell. It's a textbook dive. 

Edited by Devise

When I first saw the Kadri thing, I thought he dove for sure. So did the announcers. It took me watching it over a couple times before I actually realized it was the other player that took a whack at him. Kind'a bizarre how it happened. It might still have been a dive, but a lot less of one than I thought.

6 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Well it sucks seeing NYR advance because its the same damn team going on. Was kind of happy CHI got bounced.

i didnt pick Chicago to make it past St.Louis anyway. so it didnt mess up my pool that much but Montreal losing fucked it up pretty bad and if San Jose loses there goes that lol I have San Jose / St.Louis conference final with Montreal / Washington in the other side. 

2016 was the year for the Sharks to finally win, and they came so close. Unfortunately the window is probably closing here, at least with both Marleau and Thronton as part of the team.

*sad emoji*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...