LR's at the bottom?

hedgehog337

Was that a good idea?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're like interested to have a better member retention, right? So before I'll go to sleep, I will tag newer members here cause their opinion is important:

Maybe I forgot some. If so, I'm sorry then.

ok thank you and bye

@Beaviss@murguy @Spade18 @Exlaxchronicles @Sullvino @Confusion @jvd @Beerfridge @Kmarko

I don't really care where it's located, I know how to navigate the forum. My team's (Ottawa Lynx) locker room gets a bit of use, we talk about lines, how we're preforming, where we plan on putting the TPE for our next updates, etc. 

I like having the sub-forum only available to my team-mates and I.

44 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Hate on them as much as you want, but they're good sites to recruit long-term members from.

It's the hate for the LR at the top move. Just rather dickish if you ask me. Everyone is following the SHL. Soon we will move to the money system. Give it time. It's inevitable.

2 minutes ago, KGR said:

It's the hate for the LR at the top move. Just rather dickish if you ask me. Everyone is following the SHL. Soon we will move to the money system. Give it time. It's inevitable.

I don't think this move is really following the SHL. It's been at the top for awhile now. It's at the top for all the other ones. Familiarity is a good thing when you want to recreate people from affiliates.

17 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I don't think this move is really following the SHL. It's been at the top for awhile now. It's at the top for all the other ones. Familiarity is a good thing when you want to recreate people from affiliates.

They did it first. All other sites were like "how shall we be like the SHL today?"

4 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I personally am a fan of it being at the top I feel it could be forgotten at the bottom. Locker room activity should be a high priority for activity overall and I think that could suffer at the bottom.

While it's cool to some for them to be at the top, this makes people have to explore the whole site rather than just see what is posted in the LR and that is all. People literally are missing half of the board because of it.

2 hours ago, Devise said:

Could you elaborate? Mentioned in this article you were one of the more notable members in favor of it on time. You still seem passionate about it. I'd like to hear what it is about them being on the top that works so well for you? Is it just that you guys only visit that area, or that is the first area you like to go to and it's just a convenience thing? 

With Project Two, multiple members were in the same locker rooms, as such the rivalry aspect faded. This led to more LR being inactive with very few postings. I just don't know when we have important things that it's useful for people to see, especially when actual changes to player builds or whatever get made. As I said in the announcement thread, I'm absolutely open to removing them back, as it was me who moved them. I just wanted to see how many members were for it, and if so, why so strongly. 

How would it be the first thing we like to go to? That's assuming. My LR isn't super active. It's just nice to have team things up at the top. LR's are a pretty important aspect of the VHL. This isn't the SHL where there's a good amount of board activity and large amount of members... 

How often do we have good amounts of activity anywhere else other than maybe the LR's?

3 hours ago, KGR said:

While it's cool to some for them to be at the top, this makes people have to explore the whole site rather than just see what is posted in the LR and that is all. People literally are missing half of the board because of it.

It doesn't make people do anything though. If it's at the bottom, people will just go to the bottom if they want their LR. You can still avoid the rest of the site all you want if someone is one of those type of people.

5 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

It doesn't make people do anything though. If it's at the bottom, people will just go to the bottom if they want their LR. You can still avoid the rest of the site all you want if someone is one of those type of people.

But the LR's at the bottom makes you have to scroll down there. Which in turn you see the site. Being at the top is like "hey come check me out." Half the time I really don't even care what goes on in the LR. Once in awhile I pop in by myself but mainly I just don't care.

18 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

To be fair, we came first and our LRs were always at the bottom, so it's THEM being different! Also SHLs LRs were originally like, in the middle of the forum, within a subforum, it was retarded. I don't know when they moved them to the top. Likely before we did since that was fairly recently, but still.

You do make a fair point about it being comfortable for foreign members though. I prefer LRs at the bottom because that's where Area 51 is, and that's where important subforums are. Back when I was more active, LRs at the bottom was ideal because I'm a save the best for last kind of guy. So I'd work my way down the main forum, tab open interesting topics, then finally arrive at the bottom to see what the fuck Area 51 wanted and to visit my bros in the LR. And IMO LRs at the top encourages people just to check the LR and leave. I think people who make an argument like, "Oh, I'd totally forget about the LR at the bottom" is kind of a scrub.

That said, LR position REALLY isn't a big deal. Anyone who thinks it adversely affects league health is up their own ass. Ditto for chat, for that matter.

If LRs at the top encourages people to check the LR then leave, then LRs at the bottom encourage people to check out some of the site and then leave, ignoring the LR. :P I guess that latter is better for site activity though, but either way it's bad. If you have newer guys or anyone really on your team and nobody posts in the LR, it looks bad for the team. Same goes for less posts on the site.

But yeah, I agree. I don't really think it impacts anything at all. People that aren't checking LRs, I think it'll be the same whether it's at the top or the bottom, and same goes for checking the site.

For SHL, I basically just check my LR, update, and that's it. It has nothing to do with the LR location. If it was at the bottom, I'd be ignoring the rest of the site still and scrolling to the bottom. <_<

• Commissioner

I was always against moving them to the top and I'm against moving them back to the top. Obviously it's a much more heated debate than was expected though.

IMO the first thing people should see in the forum is the most important stuff, simple as that. League Office, announcements, create a player. These are easily the most important forums and should be as high as possible. Combine that with the fact that all the other hidden forums are at the bottom and it just makes more sense. New members don't immediately have locker rooms anyway so it isn't like they'll see a difference when they first join. Once they actually get into a locker room I'm sure it won't be too confusing to scroll down, it never was for the majority of our lifespan. We shouldn't do something just because other sites have it a certain way.