Portal Update 1.4 + S59 Award Predictions

Will

• Senior Admin

I've updated the portal this morning:

- added a VHLM landing page that I'm still working on

- improvements to the homepage for the new magazine format

- reworked various functions for the update tool, depreciation tool, and TPA calculations to fit with the new update scale

NOTE: If you're getting any weird results from the depreciation or update tools, you may have to clear your browser cache to make it use the new update scale. 

S59 Award Predictions

I'm also adding a larger new feature - Award Predictions will be done through the Portal this season for easier tracking and counting. While this may seem a bit overkill for something as simple as predictions (it probably is), this is a first for me in terms of really working with our own database and assigning objects to users so this is a basic start and hope to work more user-functionality into the site in the future for things like updating and the depreciation tool. 

You will need to create a Portal account to submit predictions, but doing so is easy and fast, there is no verification e-mail. Use your exact forum username so we can match you with your predictions. 

You can then submit predictions but clicking on 'Predictions' under the little user icon on the right side of the nav bar, or by clicking this link:

http://vhlportal.com/tools/predictions (will redirect you to the login page if you aren't logged in)

After you submit, you can edit your predictions at any time before the season starts by clicking on either of the same links as above. 

I will also post a list on the forum to confirm who submitted predictions before they close. 

:cheers: 

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

So just and FYI you have no goalies to be able to vote for or rookies lol i could finish my predictions @Will

Ahh shit I thought I enabled goalies :P 

one moment....

• Senior Admin
4 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

So just and FYI you have no goalies to be able to vote for or rookies lol i could finish my predictions @Will

Okay sorry about that, I thought I had loaded in the goalies. Should be good now.

There might be some Rookies missing atm but they will be added to the sim as I confirm they're playing in the VHL. 

• Senior Admin
Just now, Quik said:

@Will I think the update nerfed the index archive

Yeah, it did  :P  Actually it's been like that for a few days, surprised nobody noticed it. 

I had to reset the archive database after I screwed up creating the Prediction one, I have a backup I'm hoping i can load :lol:

1 minute ago, Will said:

Yeah, it did  :P  Actually it's been like that for a few days, surprised nobody noticed it. 

I had to reset the archive database after I screwed up creating the Prediction one, I have a backup I'm hoping i can load :lol:

Haha, I noticed it Saturday, but figured you were pushing unnecessary updates through, which I guess I wasn't wrong :P

• Senior Admin
6 minutes ago, Quik said:

Haha, I noticed it Saturday, but figured you were pushing unnecessary updates through, which I guess I wasn't wrong :P

On the bright side, that was easier than expected, its fixed :shades:

• Senior Admin
9 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Sadly it looks like they went the route of the SBA. The worst version

Also, what about the new awards @Will?

I mean, making it so you couldn't copy predictions had nothing to do with the intentions of this, its an unintended consequence but there's nothing stopping people from sharing their predictions in their LR's or even in public. 

I can add the new awards, I wasn't sure if there was a final decision on that for this season or not 

1 minute ago, Will said:

I mean, making it so you couldn't copy predictions had nothing to do with the intentions of this, its an unintended consequence but there's nothing stopping people from sharing their predictions in their LR's or even in public. 

I can add the new awards, I wasn't sure if there was a final decision on that for this season or not 

Makes sense, I hate change. @emidas knows that haha. I bust his balls too much as well

I think it's a resounding yes on the awards i think

18 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Makes sense, I hate change. @emidas knows that haha. I bust his balls too much as well

I think it's a resounding yes on the awards i think

Were those not for S60? I don't recall anything being finalized for S59...?

• Senior Admin

@STZ @Quik 

Just a heads up as you two submitted some already, I just changed it with the award changes Kendrick mentioned. My bad, didn't think we were doing them this season. 

As you will see: 

Top Leader + Top Sportsmanlike are no more 

Top Defenseman split into Top Offensive D and Top Defensive D 

Added another goalie award for Top GAA  

A more formal announcement on that should be up at some point. 

Anyway I didn't have to reset your whole predictions but just make sure you go and put some in for those new awards. 

SB stat is irrelevant considering weak team's D will block a to nof shots, no matter their defensive skills

So what, it will be the D with the most hits ? Again, not quite sure its accurate 

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, boubabi said:

SB stat is irrelevant considering weak team's D will block a to nof shots, no matter their defensive skills

So what, it will be the D with the most hits ? Again, not quite sure its accurate 

You wanted those awards gone, they are gone; deal with the replacements.

Just now, Beketov said:

You wanted those awards gone, they are gone; deal with the replacements.

What a weak respond

Removing irrelevant awards like most sportsmanship and top leader doesnt mean adding another irrelevant award to compensates. There's no stats to use to determine whats make a good defensive D. Other than hits, shots block and +/- is mostly based on general team performance.

It would be great to have that award, however, its just not possible with what we have to work with

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, boubabi said:

What a weak respond

Removing irrelevant awards like most sportsmanship and top leader doesnt mean adding another irrelevant award to compensates. There's no stats to use to determine whats make a good defensive D. Other than hits, shots block and +/- is mostly based on general team performance.

It would be great to have that award, however, its just not possible with what we have to work with

What we have to work with is hopefully changing; Will is testing new versions of the software to see if they can generate decent results.

As it stood goalies and defenseman only had 1 award each that was only theirs while forwards realistically had 4 (technically a defenseman could have most points, assists, etc but it won’t happen). This gives defensemen and goalies both something else to strive for while also dealing with the bickering every season about whether points or hits are more important.

That enough of an answer for you? I hope so because it’s all you’re getting. We have our reasons, I have explained them; move on.