Comprehensive Mock VHL Expansion Draft

eaglesfan036

If I am @Victor, I see 3 different reasons to select a player in the expansion draft. I am doing this based on the assumption that it's very unlikely Moscow wins a cup in their first few seasons. Also, for the sake of my sanity, I am going to assume everyone remains with their current teams, and no one becomes a free agent. I am also going to pretend I am every team's GM and protect 7 players

1) They are a young player with potential to help the team's long term success

2) They are an old player with a lot of tpe who I can swing for draft picks or other assets

3) A team trades me draft picks in exchange for not pilfering one of their good players and taking an inactive scrub instead.

Calgary Wranglers

Protect: Wahl, Diljodh, Zajaczkowski, Revchenko, Gebauer, Baxter, Canmore, Saint

Available: Vihjalmsson (S60, 294 tpe) and Karl Von Moltke (S62, 266 tpe) +3rd round pick for having no active available

Both available players are inactives under 300 tpe, so clearly Calgary doesn't have much to offer an expansion team. I would take Von Moltke even though he has less tpe because he is two years younger, and I actually like his build as a pass-first well-rounded player. Victor could keep him as a depth player for a few seasons, or traded him for an ok draft pick at the deadline for a team looking for cheap depth player. 

Quebec City Meute / Vancouver

Protect: Nathan N, Iseult, Palo, Harding, Weyed, Davis, Louth, Gate

Available: Mulligan (S62, 460 tpe), Fitzgerald (S63, 244 tpe)

Quebec will have a difficult decision t o make in either protecting Gate, who is a not really active defesemen with 605 tpe, or Mulligan, who is active but I personally think has a horrible player build (most of his tpe is in hitting and discipline) if your goal is to win games. Quebec is losing some defensemen to retirement, so I have them protecting Gate. This gives Moscow their first active player, and he is young enough that perhaps he stays with Moscow his whole career. He is also young enough to be of a good amount of value in a trade. 

HC Davos Dynamo

Protect: Madden, Davison, Jerwa, Jokinen, Randoms, Svoboda, Dahlberg, Warren

Available: Connor McDavid (S64, 194 tpe), Dan Baille (S64, 236 tpe), Dimiro JR (S58, 151 tpe), Gonzalez (S63, 257 tpe)

Of this group, Gonzalez used to be active but now appears inactive, and Dimiro is an inactive scrub. Baille and McDavid are actually very similar players from the same draft class who both do welfare a a little more, but aren't huge earners. Baille looks like he does a little bit more to earn tpe, so I have Moscow taking him.

Helsinki Titans

Protect: Pepper, Crosby, Wilson, Slipher, Charm, Borwinn, Odinsson, Bailey

Available: Scrub prospects, Nano (S62, 348 tpe), Montgomery (S62, 459 tpe), Boucher (S63, 258 tpe), 

Helsinki will have a difficult decision to make in who to protect, as they have to let some pretty solid players become available. If this is who Moscow has to chose from, I would select Montgomery. All three players are pretty similar in being welfare-ish tpe earners who do a little more, so in that case I'm taking the person with the most guaranteed tpe so far in Montgomery.

New York Americans (Booooo!)

Protect: Materezo, Kingfisher, Sullivan, McWolf, Zabby, King, Ylonen, Wilinsky

Available: Edvin (S64, 136 tpe), Parker (S64, 206 tpe), Hitz (S64, 160 tpe)

New York also has a kind of difficult decision in who to protect, as outside of Materezo their prospects are decent but not franchise players, so I am protecting my guaranteed tpe over potential. All three of these guys are similar in being semi-active welfare guys, and Hitz is making a goon, so I would go with @Eparker24

Seattle Bears

I'm going to save myself some writing and you some reading. I would be shocked if Evgeni Komarov (S64, 218 tpe) does not join Moscow, as he has stated his desire to be their enforcer. @Gooningitup will get his wish.

Riga Reign

Protect: Kriketers, Glade, Kastelic, Crimson, Peace, Cast, Twinger, Preencarnacion

Available: Scrub prospects, Blake (S64, 277 tpe), Gary (S64, 215 tpe), Vanderhuuge (S64, 165 tpe), Moose (S64, 110 tpe), Nguyen (S62, 325 tpe), Pajari (S61, 440 tpe), Shan (S63, 346 tpe), Dabarno (S63, 215 tpe)

Holy wow, how did Riga get so many players, was the rest of the league trying? While it will be difficult for Riga to figure out who to protect, they can easily afford to lose one of these guys. Of all these guys, if I am Riga I am taking Shan because he has the right combination of current tpe, youth, and growth potential compared to everyone else on this list. @Kisshan

Toronto Legion

Protect: Rift, Carison, Tzuyu, Ironside, Arroyo, Lawson, Trepanier, Lebrunette

Available: Bronstein (S61, 279 tpe), Ball (S58, 222 tpe), Warlock (S58, 346 tpe)

Of these three, Bronstein is the only one who is maybe active, as he has updated and done some stuff recently. Combined with being younger and having a decent amount of tpe, and he is the pick here. @troy

Moscow's Expansion Draft:

LW - Karl von Moltke (S62, 266 tpe) + 3rd round pick @alecbama

LW - Konstantin Mulligan (S62, 467 tpe) @Pandar

LW - Dan Baille (S64, 236 tpe) @wcats

C - Dan Montgomery (S62, 461 tpe) @BarzalGoat

D - Eric Parker (S64, 206 tpe) @Eparker24 

D - Evgeni Komarov (S64, 218 tpe) @Gooningitup

RW - Kisshan Shan (S63, 364 tpe) @Kisshan

D - Lew Bronstein (S61, 280 tpe) @troy

So let me know what you guys think. Am I crazy in these predictions? GMs, are my protection lists looking pretty accurate, or is there someone I missed who you think I will protect. I personally think I will have a pretty good success rate here, as I am a genius and Victor is almost as smart as me. I don't think any of these guys are pending free agents but if they are let me know. Also, based on this methinks Moscow would need to get themselves a goalie, which it appears shouldn't be a huge problem as we have tons of goalies in the VHL.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, BarzalGoat said:

Re-uniting me and @Pandar on another crap time.... plz no

I wasn't that bad of a teammate :lol: 

On 1/30/2019 at 5:54 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

I personally think has a horrible player build (most of his tpe is in hitting and discipline) if your goal is to win games.

Oh, I've always been straight with people that he's not supposed to be a points machine... He's literally the only STHS player (I'm up to 6 skaters, iirc) I've ever put points into checking on, wanted to try something new.

2 minutes ago, Pandar said:

I wasn't that bad of a teammate :lol: 

Oh, I've always been straight with people that he's not supposed to be a points machine... He's literally the only STHS player (I'm up to 6 skaters, iirc) I've ever put points into checking on, wanted to try something new.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, some people like you and @Gooningitup like more unique builds, it's just probably not the most conductive towards winning

1 minute ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, some people like you and @Gooningitup like more unique builds, it's just probably not the most conductive towards winning

I mean Pavel, Sergei, and Vlad all were very good players ;). Evgeni is probably first time ive gone all in on my name though haha

On 1/30/2019 at 5:54 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

as outside of Materezo their prospects are decent but not franchise players

Are you saying I am a franchise player :Gritty: I am flattered

On 2/5/2019 at 12:53 PM, Victor said:

Better than continuing to suffer in Helsinki though.

Chat that ? my friend, you see your picture, I see the full picture :)