Evgeni Chekhov Retires

Beketov

• Commissioner

It's 6am here which means it's technically deadline day. I'm officially retiring Chekhov; and just one everyone learned to spell his name.

This might come as a surprise to some but it likely shouldn't. I know it won't for my teammates as I told them about it months ago. I haven't been enjoying my time as a goalie for awhile now and its time for a change.

I never wound up breaking out of shadows with Chekhov but that's just the game sometimes I guess. I came in at an awkward time and could just never break out, it happens. When I created Chekhov I went out to prove that I could still create an active player and thanks to everyone in Cologne I believe I did that, at least until the last month of work based hell.

I want to thank everyone in Cologne for believing in me, often when I didn't believe in myself. You guys gave me reason to keep pushing to improve even though I didn't believe it would help. We never got to the finals but I enjoyed every day of my time in Cologne. Absolutely amazing locker room so thank you.

Second player of mine to never win a cup. Hopefully I can break back into that territory next time.

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner

Well then. Disappointed that he didn't live up to expectations but still a very good player. All the best with the next guy!

I believe I beat my personal expectations, and that's better for me.

I came in at a time where I was not only starting for a building franchise but also behind at least 4 other elite goaltenders. For me to meet expectations was unlikely to ever occur. 

I just wanted to make sure that I could bring in a player that I could be proud of: an active one. I believe I did that for the most part.

• Commissioner

Guess that settles any goaltending controversy.

Good career.

There was never a controversy. Cologne drafted Olynick intentionally because of this. We always had a plan. I trust him to do great things. Just as long as he doesn't go and break all my team records at once.

Thank you.

No goalie trade market kinda sucks.

This. Chekhov's retirement is the only direct relation I can think of that stems from the GM's recreating as goalies.

A good career for a player that I always thought went under the radar. I love the class you showed with us and the positive influence you were in the Lockerroom for your entire career, then again I'm not surprised.

This. Chekhov's retirement is the only direct relation I can think of that stems from the GM's recreating as goalies.

A good career for a player that I always thought went under the radar. I love the class you showed with us and the positive influence you were in the Lockerroom for your entire career, then again I'm not surprised.

That's indeed a pretty sad development imho. I was willing to trade Chekhov for virtually nothing to give him a chance to win in his last season, but nobody was even remotely interested. For a goalie of his caliber who is known as a good LR guy as real this really sucked...

That's indeed a pretty sad development imho. I was willing to trade Chekhov for virtually nothing to give him a chance to win in his last season, but nobody was even remotely interested. For a goalie of his caliber who is known as a good LR guy as real this really sucked...

If cap wasn't an issue, I'm sure some playoff teams would have been willing to let Chekhov ride along as a backup/spot starter, but the cap lost trading for him would be of better use to get players for other areas of need.

If cap wasn't an issue, I'm sure some playoff teams would have been willing to let Chekhov ride along as a backup/spot starter, but the cap lost trading for him would be of better use to get players for other areas of need.

Trading him to be a backup is somewhat of an insult. I know what you are saying but to trade him to any team to be a backup (outside of Que, Tor, possibly Davos) is somewhat idiotic. He is a better goaltender than that to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on a stellar career Beketov. It was an honour to play in front of you with my time in Cologne. This is truly a sad moment