ECN's "VHL Now!" 12th Edition "NA, Palo, Flowers and Starload"

FrostBeard

1469396357_ECN-Copy.jpg.d818861e2bd1600e67548c2943147c9b.jpg

ECN's "VHL Now!" 12th Edition 

"NA, Palo, Flowers and Starload"

After taking 2 week break from providing ECN content, we are back again with our 12th edition of VHL Now! This week we will be looking at both leaders in standing and at best players in the league this season. As always, if you have any suggestions on how to improve our content, be sure to write! 

Vancouver vs Seattle – who will take the crown?

It is quite clear that this season has been a true roller-coaster because teams like Toronto who were amazing last season and were clearly considered a playoff team this season is out of a playoff spot and will be battling against NY for the chance at making playoffs. For us at ECN, the most intriguing part of NA Conference standing is a fight between Seattle and Vancouver. Two west coast teams separated by only 2.5h drive have been close all season long. Bears have been putting up a truly dominant defensive showing this season – with goals against down at 71 in 31 games played they are tied with HC Davos as the best defensive team in VHL. On the other side, we have Vancouver, currently sitting as the second best team offensively just 2 goals behind Helsinki. There are still quite a few games to go, but we at ECN predict that both Vancouver and Seattle will be neck in neck fighting for that number 1 spot in NA!

Rauno Palo “Lord of the Wolfpack”

What a season he is having! 51 points in 31 games played, one of the best +/- ratings in the league and 23 goals that puts him in second place in that category. With him having 5 point lead over the second best forward in VHL this season it should be quite obvious that Rauno Palo is a true front-runner for being the best forward in VHL and has the best chance at winning regular season MVP. IT should be noted that if the season will continue to progress on the same pace, we could see Rauno Palo breaking his last season numbers by a small margin. It does seem that Rauno Palo is making a strong case for himself for a future HoF induction.

Lance Flowers, RoTY and Sterling Labatte Throphy?

A defenceman, almost point-per-game, Top 3 in hits, Top 5 in shots blocked. Is there something this man is not capable at doing? After a good showing in VHLM, Lance Flowers has truly flourished in VHL as a member of NY Americans. He has been playing a pivotal role for NY this season and will keep doing that for many seasons to come. His efficiency has been outstanding for a rookie, but that does not mean he should take that many penalties every game. Lance currently sits with over 2 PIM per game. A true competitor and someone any team would be happy to have on their roster.

Diljodh Starload, is he the right fit for Calgary?

Even though Diljodh Starload has been one of the most talented players in VHL past few seasons, he has had troubles performing on the level his team might want to. He had a truly dominating season is 66 when he managed to get 77 points and have a truly outstanding +42 rating, but that really was the last seaon when we saw his production on that high on a level. Last season, even though he got 32 goals and has his career high for goals in a single season, it was not enough to push him in any conversations for best forwards in VHL. It is not really clear if the issue for Diljodh is the chemistry or just not enough raw talent around, but well, with a team that consists of Leph Twinger, Sebastian Ironside, Joel Ylonen, Brady Stropko Jr and Brick Wahl the second part should not be the issue. In the end of the day – this will be the season for Calgary to try to move things in the right direction, if they will not be able to, trades will need to happen.

And that will be it for this weeks VHL Now! Hope to see you again next week for more VHL content, good luck and will see you around! Brought to you by Frostbeard Entertainment!

People mentioned: @jRuutu, @DilIsPickle and @CowboyinAmerica

37 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Well, with the current state that we see in VHL, it would be nice to see someone as a clear HoF candidate ;)

? I doubt I get in there, but going to try still! Gonna prepare well for the last year and hopefully one more good year left in the system

• Commissioner
55 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Well, with the current state that we see in VHL, it would be nice to see someone as a clear HoF candidate ;)

Umm, ouch?

18 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

? I doubt I get in there, but going to try still! Gonna prepare well for the last year and hopefully one more good year left in the system

It would be a tough sell for sure, you’d basically be working off 3 solid seasons which isn’t a lot for a HoF career. 155 more points (very doable in 1.5 seasons) would put you at 600 which is respectable but getting into the HoF under 700 is incredibly difficult for forwards.

13 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Umm, ouch?

It would be a tough sell for sure, you’d basically be working off 3 solid seasons which isn’t a lot for a HoF career. 155 more points (very doable in 1.5 seasons) would put you at 600 which is respectable but getting into the HoF under 700 is incredibly difficult for forwards.

Well, Thompson is in his last season, so I would not count him in, but you know very well that I see him as HoF inductee as soon as he is eligible.  You should probably wait for a series I have in mind called "ECN's "Let me make a case for ..."

• Commissioner
40 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Well, Thompson is in his last season, so I would not count him in

I mean I’m 12 goals away from a feat only 6 people in league history have ever done and have 9 individual awards and a cup. Nothing is ever a guarantee but from the S61 draft class Thompson and Cast are definitely the most likely.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Victor said:

MVP should go to a random second line center, Jet Jaguar perhaps, thoughts @gorlab?

I mean we could also finally give Thompson his Campbell for having nearly double the goals of anyone else on his team :juggle:

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean we could also finally give Thompson his Campbell for having nearly double the goals of anyone else on his team :juggle:

Stop stealing our points you selfish forward.

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Stop stealing our points you selfish forward.

Once I hit 408 goals I’ll switch over to assists, deal?

3 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

In the league that I'm also in, ironically. I'll take that loss.

you're the one that got Jerwa, right? nice consolation prize. I was getting him over you if he was still there.