20 Years of Notable Saskatoon Players

Elmebeck

I have to admit this is not a very planned update, I already had a subject for this week, then the theme week was announced. So I apologize for the brevity, but maybe someone that is tagged will get something from it, and please tag people in comments that I haven't been able to find as members.

tij0e0M.png

Two points per game
S57 Phil Bennington 72 GP, 70G, 104A, 174P @Phil
S58 Kirk Lazarus 72 GP, 81G, 81A, 162P @RadiatedGold
S57 Kriztof Mueller 72GP, 73G, 86A, 159P
S58 Shelton Kenzie 72GP, 54G, 103A, 157P @Dingle
S60 Bryce Zhields 72GP, 69G, 80A, 149P

It's hard to overstate how impressive a two points per game performance is, with Bennington up at 2.4 points per game. Certainly the game was different back then, but the performance is still one of magnitude.

The GM 
Rylan Peace 72GP, 46G, 45A, 91P @Peace

That's right in S63 Rylan Peace, the current GM of Saskatoon Wild, led the team in goals and points. The team came second in the league and then proceeded with a great playoff run that ended with sweeping Ottawa Lynx in the finals; Peace producing 7 goals and 10 points in 11 games.

Most games played
S60-63 Jordan Tonn 288GP, 43G, 60A, 103P
S63-66 Kip Baier   288GP, 24G, 40A, 64P @Kip Baier

This pair is interesting. Spent four seasons down each, with quite moderate success, but presumably with a calming locker room presence.

When contacted about his time in Saskatoon, Jordan Tonn @MexicanCow said, "What? I was never there. Either you got your facts wrong or we have an imposter."

We're going to investigate Baier closer, it would somehow be comforting to have one player who stayed down for that long (we may have one below though).

Longest name, and a legacy
S52 Aeschylus Jigglejawns CXXXVII 72GP 7G 35A 42P @.sniffuM?
S55-57 Aeschylus Jigglejawns CXXXVIII 222GP 66G 130A 196P

What the significance CXXXVIII has, being 138 converted from Roman numerals, is unknown. But in total also has spent 288 games with the Wild over two players. 

Best defenders
S56 Keaton Louth 72 38 81 119 @Beaviss
S47 Felipe Rodriguez 72 39 78 117
S57 Emil Martinov 72 28 89 117

I tríed to look up if these players were still active, but the search function is... not functioning at this time. But if anyone knows who they are, please tag them below.

Anyway, 100 points or more, in VHLM basically your first season, as a defender - yes, sure another sim engine back then possibly, but still - that's impressive.

Best team since S47
Take a look above, how many S57 greats aren't there? That team had seven players at over one point per game, but still managed to lose to Ottawa Lynx in the semi-finals. Clearly one of the great teams in VHLM that almost immediately got lost to VHL.

The S58 crew were not bad either, but also failed to win in the end.

The future
Saskatoon now sits on a really good core, three 1st round picks, excíting trades and is destined to do well next season. Also, more stable with the 250 TPE change. The sun is rising over rural Canada!

I apologize for this being so vapid, I would have like to track each player's path over their career, but the player search function has not been kind to me. Maybe for another time.

Edited by Elmebeck

Yeah it looks like the player search bar has been down for the last four days or so, I sent in a report so hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Also because you wanted tags for members under the best defenseman, this guy I believe is the one current active of the three.

Best defenders
S56 Keaton Louth 72 38 81 119 @Beaviss

• Admin

I did notice before the current version of Jordan Tonn has some VHLM stats thrown onto his player page from long before he should have existed.  https://vhlportal.com/players/playerfocus/1549

By contrast, he doesn't seem to have any of his own VHLM stats other than one playoff run with Ottawa? Not sure what happened there tbh.

6 hours ago, Victor said:

I did notice before the current version of Jordan Tonn has some VHLM stats thrown onto his player page from long before he should have existed.  https://vhlportal.com/players/playerfocus/1549

By contrast, he doesn't seem to have any of his own VHLM stats other than one playoff run with Ottawa? Not sure what happened there tbh.

"I played for Vegas and Ottawa. Now Helsinki. So ya leave me out."

I didn't abide with his wish very well. But yeah, it would be good if we could 1) search the database, and 2) trust it.

17 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

"I played for Vegas and Ottawa. Now Helsinki. So ya leave me out."

I didn't abide with his wish very well. But yeah, it would be good if we could 1) search the database, and 2) trust it.

My guess would be that those VHLM stats are actually the stats of his previous player Jordan Tonn (who was entered into the Season 61 VHL Draft) and he thought you were talking about his current player Jordan Tonn, who indeed played for Vegas, Ottawa and Helsinki.

I believe the portal doesn't let players create with a name that's already taken (maybe cause it messes with the stats like this) and MexicanCow created his current player as Jordan Joshua Tonn rather than Jordan Tonn, so my guess is someone with powers (maybe an updater or someone) who didn't think there would be a problem edited Tonn's name from Jordan Joshua to just Joshua and that's what's led to the stats kerfuffle? Regardless, if you indeed can't create players with the same name, this hopefully will only be a one time thing. 

26 minutes ago, Smarch said:

Worst time had in Saskatoon;

@Tagger and myself. Remember that bud?

That I do. I think our locker room antics were the lone highlight of that season haha! I've actually been recording a VHL autobiography series and I covered this season early on (will prolly be the second episode I post up) and made sure to give you a shout-out!