The Great Davos Implosion

ShawnGlade

At the end of an action packed week, we see brand new superteams, familiar faces in new places, teams on the rise fresh out of a rebuild.......and then there's Davos. The last 48 hours for the EU contender have been a whirlwind of anything and everything going wrong. Let's take a look at what happened.

Crimson and Warren retire

The one downside to the season ending meant that 2 player's careers had come to an end. Ryuu Crimson was in the twighlight of his career and decided to hang them up after a successful career, which included a cup with Riga in S63. Katie Warren however, shockingly decided to retire in the prime of her career, and the reason why is still unknown. Either way, both these retirements hurt the Davos offense very badly, as both had made up a 1-2 punch on the left side.

Davison, Madden, Paddywagon re-sign

Some good news to Davos before all hell broke loose. Davos retains a top defender, forward, and the reigning GOTY winner. Not bad at all, they were banking on keeping the band together and going for another run. Paddywagon is due for a true breakout season where he tops the league, and it looks like it's gonna be with the Dynamo. Madden had a career year, and signs a new deal to remain with the team that he's played for his whole career. Davison is fresh off a season where he was named the top goalie in the league, which is a resounding success for the netminder. He signs a one year deal with Davos to try and replicate his success. All 3 signings were a success by Davos GM ShawnGlade, as he keeps 3 good players around for at least another season. However, this is the last good news Davos will have for a while, as everything from here on out goes downhill....

Davis leaves via Free Agency

The beginning of the end for the Dynamo. Their leading scorer over the past 2 seasons leaves for greener pastures in Malmo, hoping to go out on top. Davos struggled for offense last season, so losing their top forward was a major blow to the Dynamo offense. With not many in house options available to replace him, it seems as if this was a loss that Davos would never recover from, and they'd have to bite the bullet and hope FA did them good. With Madden's re-signing, it seemed like Davis might have an incentive to stay, especially when there was a chance to keep the gang together and try to make another run. However, Davis decided to jump ship and play for a real contender, one that made it all the way to last season's finals. This did major damage to the Davos offense, and not only that, but caused a ripple effect to other Davos FAs that the team was quickly losing it's starpower.

Jerwa leaves via Free Agency

One of the pieces GM ShawnGlade was hoping to return, didn't. Jerwa's second stint in Davos went much better than the first time around, and it made for an interesting storyline heading into free agency. However shortly after the news of Davis' departure, Jerwa announced he had signed with the DC Dragons. A heartbreaking loss to Davos, as they were rumored to be all in on Jerwa, willing to overpay a bit to keep the stud defenseman. It still remains a mystery as to why exactly Jerwa decided to leave, considering Davos still could've had a stacked defense with him on the top pairing yet again. It's possible that he wanted to be a star in a new market with a new market, which is understandable. Either way however, this was another major blow to Davos as they had now lost 2 top caliber players for nothing in return.

Fish and Scoringsonn are traded

When GM ShawnGlade could see that his chances at being competitive were quickly fading, he decided it was time to pull the trigger and kick off yet another rebuild. With rumors of the Gow brothers not re-signing, trade offers came pouring in, and everyone on the Davos roster became available for trading. Soon, an offer came in that was too good to resist, so the pair was sent to Toronto for picks. This became the official starting move of the rebuild, as this go rid of yet another forward AND defenseman for the Dynamo. Fish's absence on the blue line meant Paddywagon became a first pairing dman, and there were officially no right wingers left in the Davos player pool. While Scoringsonn wasn't an offense machine, he was a solid player with Davos. Also with former center Aston Martin being dealt earlier in the season, it meant both of Davos' 1st round picks from the S67 draft were no longer on the team just less than 2 seasons later.

Smitty and Gritty leave via Free Agency

In the grand finale to a terrible 2 days for Davos, the move that everyone feared was gonna happen, did happen. The Gow brothers officially decide to the leave the Dynamo and head east to join the Moscow Menace. Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen was a gem in Davos. The former 2nd overall pick in S65 by the Dynamo had just come off a career year which saw him take home hardware and be named the top defenseman in the league. This devastating move meant that Paddywagon (the 4th dman last season) had now become the 1D for Davos, after the departures of Jerwa, Fish, and now Smitty. Meanwhile, Gritty had become a star for Davos, and was rumored to be offered a spot on the top line with his brother, however he saw the events prior and decided that Davos couldn't compete with their current roster. Both players leaving meant Davos now had 1 goalie, 1 defenseman, and 1 forward returning from last year's team.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Aftermath

In the days after the great Davos implosion of the S69 offseason, they had a nice draft, however they seem to be struggling to put the pieces back together after a devastating week. It seems as if Davos is destined for another rebuild, and more last place finishes.....and more memes. GM ShawnGlade had this to say:

"Yeah, it's really shitty. I felt like i made good pitches to everyone, but at the end of the day, nobody decided to come back. I wish all my former players good luck and I'm excited to see what they can accomplish in new places. This is gonna be a long offseason, but I'm gonna make sure we do it right this time, and not fuck ourselves over again."

- HC Davos Dynamo GM, ShawnGlade

• Admin

Looks like S64/S65 was the worst time to rebuild - weaker drafts than before and especially after, and any team with lots of young players got hit by back-to-back expansion drafts. Obviously other factors involved as well, but telling that both NY and Davos have both restarted rebuilding without ever truly becoming contenders.

Honestly, you shouldn't feel like you made the wrong move here. I know it's tough to rebuild when we have a league full of teams and players, but the "everyone needs to field some sort of competitive team" for a lot of the teams stuck in the middle is not the smartest strategy. Being one of the teams deciding to rebuild in a stacked confernece will absolutely give you a head start over Helsinki and Riga a few seasons down the road when Moscow/Malmo are likely the top two teams in the conference. While it's probably a season or two before HSK/RIG even explore those possibilities, it'll happen. Ultimately too many teams going the same direction means someone draws short stick, and I think it was a great move to rebuild here. Loaded up on picks, ready to see Davos come out of the muck in the S70's. 

I mean that's not a big mystery, all teams made same offers (2y/7M total with NTC) & had similar aspirations for next season. Simply I really enjoyed my time in DC and was happy to go back there to finish my welfare career on an expansion team, also I don't put as much time into Free Agency as I used to, so when I was content with the offer & decision I signed without further hesitation. Shame to see Davos crumble, I wasn't even sure of how many Free Agents there were and how much HC was depending on them returning.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, Devise said:

Honestly, you shouldn't feel like you made the wrong move here. I know it's tough to rebuild when we have a league full of teams and players, but the "everyone needs to field some sort of competitive team" for a lot of the teams stuck in the middle is not the smartest strategy. Being one of the teams deciding to rebuild in a stacked confernece will absolutely give you a head start over Helsinki and Riga a few seasons down the road when Moscow/Malmo are likely the top two teams in the conference. While it's probably a season or two before HSK/RIG even explore those possibilities, it'll happen. Ultimately too many teams going the same direction means someone draws short stick, and I think it was a great move to rebuild here. Loaded up on picks, ready to see Davos come out of the muck in the S70's. 

Not even mentioning Prague smh