TRADE ALERT! - HSK/Van

VanCanWin

Who Won this Trade?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WU2GfAKeo6-tJxxA62dvCVGB9rVSSl2q02c7C8FVAOyA3K_h_5Zsbon_K25jF0IOrPhcgGMmjUvV1dK4rk795gJtPdbtVkFE6V1cRPIKG74bKcybISux-YpLWCiRjJdkp2HXcq28

Trade Details

To: Vancouver Wolves

ACL Tear

To: Helsinki

Ben Hafkey 

S70 HSK 2nd

S70 VAN 4th

---------------------

Analysis

Another early-season trade sees one popular and polarizing forward traded to Vancouver in exchange for a depth forward and a pair of draft picks. Helsinki is letting go of S66 12th overall pick, ACL Tear after his development stagnated early in his third season in the league.  Vancouver adds a missing piece to their second line and Helsinki adds two draft picks in the upcoming S70 draft along with depth forward in Hafkey.

---------------------

Get-to-Know the Players

ACL Tear

Drafted in S66 with the 12th overall selection, ACL tear offered as close to can’t miss potential as possible. After struggling in his first season with New York, ACL broke out as a sophomore in S67 scoring 26 goals and 50 points. Still with certain potential left untapped, ACL had a rough offseason and experts are now predicting he may have hit is ceiling much earlier in his career than first thought.  Regardless of development, ACL should offer good depth on the second line wing adding a missing piece to Vancouver’s roster for an affordable cost of two draft picks and little-used depth forward Ben Hafkey.  

Ben Hafkey

As the “other” piece in this trade, Ben Hafkey is nothing more than a fringe player currently in the VHL. That’s not to say he is an insignificant piece however as his ceiling is certainly what ACL currently is if not higher should he continue to develop. Hafkey should receive plenty of opportunity in Helsinki playing on a second line and should be counted on for solid production from there. Helsinki isn’t going for it this season as they lack the depth to go far and these two draft picks should offer some help in restocking the cupboard with talent. Whether they trade more and strip it down for a full rebuild or this is more of a quick retool is yet to be seen. Either way a solid, if unspectacular return for a once-promising young player who’s career has plateaued before their eyes.

VSN Writer VanCanWin

Quote from Helsinki GM;

"We are not in a position with the age of our players to bank on a player whose development looks to be halted for the foreseeable future. He is not signed going forward to season 70 thus we did not see a future for TEAR with the TItans. Our organization began discussions with a couple teams who had interest. Being able to acquire a cup champion in Ben Hafkey and the 2nd and 4th round picks is a return we simply could not ignore. I had the pleasure of being the AGM alongside GM @BladeMaiden with the Philadelphia Reapers and Hafkey was an absolute workhorse on our roster. His positivity in the locker room radiated and he became a leader for us in a very short period of time. With the addition of cup winning experience and GM familiarity; the match for us could not have played out better. We do risk the opportunity of seeing TEAR potentially break out and become the player he was scouted to be; we wish him the best with Vancouver who already look like a force again not only in the NA conference but the league as a whole."

Edited by Jubo07

20 minutes ago, VanCanWin said:

Also, seems 50/50 in trade winner so good trade all around!!

Good to know. I'm not voting of course so I can't see the results.

Quote from Ben Hafkey after being notified of the trade.

"Vancouver has been my home ever since the days in Philly when we won the Founders Cup, and coming into my rookie year with a winning mindset gave me the confidence and tenacity to do my best in the VHL. Vancouver treated me incredibly coming into the league and gave me a team and family I will carry with me for the rest of my life. To the fans, I'm happy I could play to the best of my ability in front of you, you gave me a home to feel welcome in and I'll never forget round one of the S67 playoffs, they were the highlight of my career, and winning the cup just a few weeks later on this squad was world changing for a guy like me. So I'd like to thank GM @Beaviss for giving a young kid a shot at doing great things, and will always remember the time I had in Vancouver as one of the best experiences of my professional career. Thank you.

As for the future, Helsinki won the Cup in my draft year, and I am ecstatic to join the team and help them go for another one. The time I had under Assistant GM @Jubo07 during the Cup run in S66 will hopefully reignite the chemistry we had and make some nice things happen here in Helsinki. The chance they've given me to play in a top-6 role and contribute offensively is great, and I look forward to proving Jubo made the right call bringing me on to the team. Unfortunately, that's all the time I have as we've got a game against the Dynamo in a few hours, and I need to get antiquated with my new teammates and squad. So I'll answer any questions post-game then, thanks."

‘Ladies and gentlemen that was Ben Hafkey @Mclovin, once a stud always a stud! 

After talking a step back from GMing i can honestly say I have lost a lot of interest in what is going on in both the VHL and VHLM. That  being said when I heard my former AGM and partner in crime was the new GM of the Titans I don’t think anyone could imagine how happy I was for him. @Jubo07 always was one of the best when it came to the GM game.  I have attributed much I learned about GMing from him and was excited to see him finally get his shot in the Big Show. Seeing this trade happen really gives me the good feels because I know one of my favourite players is going to a GM that will do right by him, just like I knew @Beaviss would in Vancouver when Hafkey was brought in for the Wolves. Regardless of how removed I am trying to be from the VHL seeing my former players do well, going to new and exciting places will always bring me joy. 

Congratulations to all 3 of the parties involved that I know well, as well as @Quik whenever he returns ?’ 

-Katherine Blade, former Reapers GM 

Edited by BladeMaiden

I think it's highly dependent on the potential return of Quik. If he comes back, very good deal for Vancouver, but still not bad for Helsinki with a good depth welfare+ earner and some nice return in the draft. If not, Helsinki made out with a really good deal IMO. 

On 11/22/2019 at 3:11 PM, Mr_Hatter said:

I think it's highly dependent on the potential return of Quik. If he comes back, very good deal for Vancouver, but still not bad for Helsinki with a good depth welfare+ earner and some nice return in the draft. If not, Helsinki made out with a really good deal IMO. 

This. If Quik comes back, decent both ways since 2nds are now a thing and Hafkey is also at least somewhat active. If Quik is gone, no brainer for Helsinki.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, Jubo07 said:

Good to know. I'm not voting of course so I can't see the results.

I believe if you click "show results," you can see the numbers without choosing an option.