Was Portal Practice Facility a Mistake?

Gustav

I think it's a bit of a problematic view to say that we should just continue to push things off the forum and onto the portal, something which has been said in some way or another a few times in this thread. Practice facility is (in theory) fine on the portal and I agree that, with some modification and added ease of access to earning information on the portal, the "practice facility only" players I mentioned (and, might I add, I've counted SEVENTEEN of them in this draft class; that's more than just one or two and by far much more than we had before it was moved to the portal) would be much less of an issue and we'd have a good amount more earning activity.

But let's think for a second--if it's true that "people don't use forums anymore" and the future of the league is just on the portal, then what happens with the portal? What happens if we move all PT submissions to the portal, articles and graphics and podcasts all out there with the practice facility button? I'll tell you what happens--that's called a forum.

It's my opinion that the league cannot exist without the forum. Sure, we're all on Discord these days--but the forum is the reason why we want to be on Discord. Here's where you've got serious, meaningful, analytical posts. Here's where you actually get to make memories rather than just having fun talking to someone for five minutes. Here's where you get to read legitimate content on a weekly basis. This league cannot survive if we push the idea that the league itself should just turn into "watch your numbers go up when you click buttons on the portal," because all of that disappears. 

Think the future is on the app? Great, improve the app to incorporate the forum. Think more should be on the portal? Great, add more information to the portal and make it more navigable--redirect people to different places on the forum in more than one spot if they need something. But to suggest that nobody uses the forum, on a forum that we're all using for a discussion that we certainly couldn't have on this level anywhere outside of a forum, is something I simply do not get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator
On 2/29/2020 at 6:55 AM, BOOM™ said:

I didn't want to start a new thread. The VHL needs more boobies. 

Since we no longer have a need to try and be a partner, wanna comeback and start up the shack again?

Just now, tfong said:

Eventually VHL will be a web browser portal game with discord support.

EVOLUTION!

Get with it boomers.

Eventually we'll be an actual video game and we can re-run the "just like nhl 20" ad.

• Head Moderator
10 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Eventually we'll be an actual video game and we can re-run the "just like nhl 20" ad.

I mean sims take just as long in here as NHL EA amirite?

On 2/19/2020 at 3:55 AM, Proto said:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, and its 5am so I apologize, but I wasn't suggest getting rid of the forum

Don't worry I am

TBH add welfare to the portal

Then I can just live in there and discord (the real site)

-mgmt