Why do i bother? Modding

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Watchmen": The One Thing Nobody Says about Adrian Veidt aka ...

Modding, to be or not to be?

Is it really nobler in my mind to suffer the slings and arrows of those that hate it when I mod, or to simply take arms against a sea of troubles when I ruin someone's perceived "fun". Is it worth it really and why?

Its highlighted in one of the posts of the hiring thread for Mods actually.

Like really, is it worth it? Let me tell you something, it ain't ever going to be about me (the mod). The pay is garbage, the time I spend is ridiculous and the fact I'm on call and pingable in almost any situation really makes one think. Its a full time job with no actual real benefit pay, nobody really cares at the end of the day that I was a mod here. To some its a video game, others may think its the perfect ability to power trip and shut down other peoples fun for my own benefit. None of that makes sense for how much effort and time is involved really.

What I can tell you is this, its for everyone. Culminating from my earliest years here to now, I've at times stepped away partially but never fully away. I've contemplated leaving and I've contemplated just not doing anything and not getting involved. But the matter of fact is...I just care. I care that his is a fun place for others to hang out in. I care that people can share a common interest. I care that people can sit around in voice and play video games other or connect with those in their locker rooms. I share the joy of winning virtual championships and trash talking online friends and I hope everyone here also does as well. Its not so much the pay but the need to provide this community with safeguards, to protect those that would wish to ruin our community. I do this because it is required and I'm ok being hated, despised, being the "not fun" villain. People are here and the invisible blanket that we as staff provide helps to keep us safe. Sure you may not like everything mods do, you may not like or even see or understand the decisions behind everything. But its all being done to grow this community and keep it healthy. Not everyone will agree and some will leave, that is the nature of people, we cannot all agree at times. But I hope that the time I spend here continues to encourage the growth of the community and allows for people to just have just a small place to have fun, to not be harassed, to make friends.

This is what I do. My judgments may not always be fair and there is no specific rule book to lawyer with, but I can promise you this, everything is with the mind of the community in place. At the end of the day there is no fun to be had with an empty community. So some trust goes a long way, to trust that we are trying to do what is best for all of us. Trust that there is no personal gain for this. 

Trust that if there is a threat to this community and threatens to ruin the livelihood of our community, I will go after them, and I will destroy them if that is the last thing I do.

How Watchmen's giant squid attack in episode 5 changes the game - Vox

I get it..but you should also make more than 2.

Admins make 12..you should make quite a bit more than 2.

Modding is a lot of work and while it's something that isn't hard..itd extensive and you should be paid as such even if you don't care.

Mod pay needs an increase...and many think so.

@Beketov @Beaviss @Quik

• Commissioner
5 hours ago, Advantage said:

I get it..but you should also make more than 2.

Admins make 12..you should make quite a bit more than 2.

Modding is a lot of work and while it's something that isn't hard..itd extensive and you should be paid as such even if you don't care.

Mod pay needs an increase...and many think so.

@Beketov @Beaviss @Quik

We do not make 12, we make 6 I think. My pay is a bit different because of simming so I don’t remember. No one makes the full cap from one job though.

Also if I’m not mistaken we offered fong more when we reworked pay and he said he didn’t think it was necessary. I might be remembering wrong mind you. If we lean on moderators more I see no issue why they shouldn’t be paid more.

• Head Moderator
6 hours ago, Beketov said:

We do not make 12, we make 6 I think. My pay is a bit different because of simming so I don’t remember. No one makes the full cap from one job though.

Also if I’m not mistaken we offered fong more when we reworked pay and he said he didn’t think it was necessary. I might be remembering wrong mind you. If we lean on moderators more I see no issue why they shouldn’t be paid more.

The new Mod team may hate the fact I turned down extra pay lol. But we are changing the scope now so we can revist this after the initial period.

Edited by tfong

46 minutes ago, tfong said:

The new Mod team may hate the fact I turned down extra pay lol. But we are changing the scope now so we can revist this after the initial period.

I don't do it for the pay

I do it for the people

w83cFlk1OWKgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png