A Heartfelt Goodbye to New York

CowboyinAmerica

:nya: A Wonderful New York Career :nya:

After six seasons, the time has come – Lance Flowers is set to leave the New York Americans. Despite entering free agency, though, there aren’t any hard feelings about the Americans franchise as I’m taking off. In fact, the exact opposite. Although I didn’t know much about the franchise or its management before being drafted second overall all the way back in Season 68, I couldn’t imagine having a better home over the past several years. Through the ups and downs, being named captain, and the many, many streaks, it has been an absolute pleasure playing for this franchise.

And with that, I have some people to thank.

The first one is obvious: Thank you @Esso2264 for being a spectacular general manager for this team. Even without surmounting the crapshoot of the playoffs, I never had any doubt that he was doing everything in his power to make this team a winning environment. He always kept us in the loop with major moves, had realistic but strong expectations for this team, and wasn’t afraid to rock the boat if something wasn’t working. His GMotY is very well deserved, and I’m glad I got the opportunity to contribute to the strong team he’s put together. I know the rebuild will go well with him in charge, and I hope the next reign of Americans ends in a cup. The cavalcade of Assistant GMs that have come through New York have been great as well, including @dlamb currently and former AGM and current teammate @ColeMrtz. I encourage anybody drafted or signing here to buy into the system, because I strongly feel it will pay off.

Among the multiple players I’ve had in this league, there are very few occasions where I’ve had the same teammate for six seasons, let alone two. It’s been fun being the core of the Americans with @.sniffuM and @studentized, us and others coming from that strong S68 to put together a winning team. I’ve always been a fan of being part of a rebuilding process, trying to build something out of nothing to reach the top. I’m glad that others were just as willing to put up with the highs and lows as me.

A lot of other players have come and gone from the Americans over the time I’ve been here, way too many for me to list and tag here. From players I played with early on like @McWolf and @chillzone to some of the players on these newer teams like @TheFlash and @rjfryman, I’ve been lucky to be surrounded by awesome talent and even better people while I’ve been here. It isn’t always a given that you’ll have fun on whatever team you’re drafted to, but with amazing people joining us on this journey, I’ve certainly been lucky.

And finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the member who was supposed to be my defensive partner over the whole course of my career: @Elmebeck. He was the American I talked to the most in those early days, and I could tell through all of my interactions truly a kind person. I was gone on a trip in Asia when he passed; I didn’t know until I was back a week later. And when I learned, it hit like a ton of bricks. Our highest highs would have been even better if he were around, and my thoughts continue to be with his family.

It's been a ride, Americans. And no matter what happens in free agency and the final two seasons of Flowers’ career, I’ll always consider New York his home. Thank you for the six seasons of fun.