Almost That Time Again 40 in 40

Mike

I can't believe we are about to start Season 39 in a couple of weeks.  It got me remembering about the 10 in 10 series I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the league and wondering if the BoG or whoever has started to talk/work on this for ideas and such.

we better do it. I'll be here when you wanna talk about Vasteras winning the league .05 percent of the time

There should be the obligatory thanks to me for stacking your team that season. :P

• Admin

Seriously though, yes. I'd be willing to write again, just need topics. Some possibilities:

End of New York curse and longest playoff run ever.

Fortunes of expansion teams (also opportunity to cover probably the most memorable off-season (Rift and Grigorenko one).

Super Cup

Commish changes - David and Sterling step down

S31 goalies - probably the better known players of the decade and in that fight for Labatte's spot.

Riga curse ended. Could go with New York especially since they were closely linked through back to back finals and that trade.

Other changes and recruitment and stuff.

Comparing the better drafts of the decade and maybe comparing with S18 which once had its own article. This also can go with recruitment.

Just a few thoughts.

Expansion/Curses/Super Drafts(Recruitment)/Era of the Goalie never has the league seen so many high TPE goalies at the same time/3rd generation of the VHL (talking about amazing new first gen players still joining 7 years later, old members that have come back from possibly years prior, and prominent members who finally stepped down/away).  Also depending on how these final seasons go we are seeing teams stock pile draft picks VHLM style first with New York and Riga several seasons ago and now with Cologne and Helsinki.  Could see it happen again this off-season with Toronto/Seattle maybe.  League parity when we have seasons where team's aren't even supposed to make the playoffs get in Cologne over Vasteras plus the playoff race between Seattle/NY didn't have a whole lot of those in the past.  Even this season basically the worst teams in the league still take wins Calgary this year did good with a minimal roster.

Edited by Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

31: Three-Headed Goalie: Tukio, LeBeau, Rift (with honourable mention to Labatte for sure)

*32: Mediocrity - Vasteras and Seattle

33: End of the Curses (v2) - New York and Riga

34: Creating a Rift (love this one)

*35: Eleven - end of New York's spectacular run

36: Marathon - regular season races for playoff spots + overall parity

37: New Recruits - recruitment + great drafts

*38: Dynasties (v2) - Toronto and Davos 3 finals, kind of hinges on Davos' results this season

39: Changes/Evolution (v2) - commishes, Super Cup

40: Expansion - Ten Years Later

ones with asterisks I made up just now on the spot. Names are a bit iffy no doubt and some repetitive. some topics easily matched up with seasons, others not so much.

I don't know if I'd put Expansion on there as 10 years later, Id put it as the primary focus when it happened, it's a bigger deal than 4 goalies in one era.