The Talents Behind the Trophies: the Dustin Funk Trophy

Doomsday

CypaCPA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Welcome back, @Motzaburger. We've missed you.

Hello and welcome to Season Five of The Talents Behind the Trophies! In this series, we delve deep into the history of the Victory Hockey League to learn more about the players that the various awards of the VHL and VHLM are named after. Many times, people covet a trophy, yet they don't know the story behind the player the award is named for. Personally, I feel that the stories of these players should be told. You see, these awards were initially named after NHL players, eventually taking the name of VHL players who personified the spirit of that award. Naturally, these are some of the best to ever grace the league, and The Talents Behind the Trophies will ensure their stories are known. 

But before we get started, let's take a look at the VSN content that's out this week! Catch up on the latest action of a wild VHLM season, courtesy of our very own @diamond_ace  and the huge crop of players that joined the VHLM this past year! @tcookie25 has everything you need to get up to speed in a VHL season that is really heating up as well. @Patrik Tallinder brings you coverage that looks back at the fun-filled World Cup that took place over the off-season. The One and a Half Aussies, better known as @Berocka and @dasboot are back at it with another charming episode of VSN Australia. Lastly, the VSN Scouting Department is already looking ahead at the Season 76 VHL Entry Draft, and it's a must-read for new players looking to see if they've cracked the Top 40!

The VHLM Review | VHL Weekly Review | World Cup Overview | VSN Australia | S76 Entry Draft Rankings

We start off this season with an award that tends to fly under the radar: the Dustin Funk Trophy, awarded since Season 21 to the most improved player in the VHL. As one of the more subjective awards, it doesn't always seem to carry the same luster as other trophies. Some seasons, the Dustin Funk Trophy goes to a young player that had a breakout season, while in others, such as Season 71 with Brick Wahl, it goes to a player who peaked in their final season. I personally have a soft spot for the award, as it is the only individual trophy outside of the now-retired Grimm Jonsson Trophy that I have won, back in Season 42 with Jack Kowalski. It feels great to have your hard work into having your player rebound recognized, and perhaps that's why I've always enjoyed this award. 

trophy_avcolg.jpg

The Dustin Funk Trophy, awarded annually to the player deemed to be the most improved in the VHL.

However, I never really knew much behind the story of the trophy's namesake, Dust'n Funk. Yes, oddly enough, the trophy's name does not match the name of the player it was named for. Now, it's easy to imply that, as the namesake for an award given to the most improved player in the VHL suggests, that Funk had a dramatic improvement shown during his career, and he indeed did. However, perhaps what makes him an even better choice for being the namesake of the award was that he experienced two such redemption seasons where he was tremendously improved. Had this award existed in his time, he very possibly could have won it twice. As a player in the first generation of the VHL, he went up against some of the greatest legends of the league, and more than held his own. On top of that, he's also directly responsible for the creation of a legendary VHL franchise that still exists to this day. It's time for his story to be told. 

Season Three of the VHL saw the league in the midst of one of the VHL's most dominant dynasties: the Calgary Wranglers. After their infamous loss to the Vasteras Iron Eagles in the inaugural Continental Cup Finals, Calgary came back with a vengeance in Season Two and took their place atop the league. It was also the year that the professional hockey dreams of the Funk Brothers, Dust'n and Raymond, were realized. The Seattle Bears selected Dust'n fifth overall, with Raymond going to the Toronto Legion with the very next selection. Seattle was looking to compete in the North American Conference and make a name for themselves, but it was a goal that would simply have to wait. The Bears simply weren't strong enough yet, and a tough year for Seattle and their rookie forward Dust'n Funk ensued. The Wranglers continued to dominate, while Seattle found themselves dead last in their conference. To make matters worse, Funk had struggled, with just 31 points and a -57 rating. He was, however, developing into a two-way forward, with 97 hits, which at that time was considered, "impressive." The physical impact of two-way forwards in the VHL has certainly changed drastically since Season Three. 

ELISE_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fi

Dust'n Funk, the patron saint of redemption of the VHL, and the father of VHL hockey in Latvia.

Another thing that changed in a big way after Season Three was the Seattle Bears. Funk was back for more in his sophomore campaign, but a huge offseason ensured that he would not be alone. Future VHL Hall of Famers Scotty Campbell, Matt DeFosse, and Alex McNeil all joined the Bears, and suddenly Seattle became a powerhouse overnight. As expected, Funk's game dramatically improved in his second season, as the improved Bears team provided him with plenty more opportunities. Funk went from 31 points to 112, scoring more goals (43) than he had points as a rookie. He even built upon his defensive play, recording 104 hits and a +14 rating as the Bears went from worst to first with Victory and Continental Cup wins. Season Five brought more of the same, with the Bears at the zenith of their power. Once again, Seattle brutalized the VHL en route to repeating as Victory Cup and Continental Cup champions, and once again Dust'n Funk enjoyed a tremendous season. Anchoring the second line, Funk scored 55 goals and tallied 79 assists for 134 points, also recording 100 hits. 

While Funk was excelling as a second liner, Season Six marked the time where he established that he was far more than a supporting piece. Dust'n Funk continued to smash his career highs, recording 57 goals and tied with Scotty Campbell for the league lead in assists with 87, earning him a share of the Mikita (now the Alexander Beketov) Trophy. Seattle again powered their way through the regular season and captured their third straight Victory Cup, but their season ended quite differently. The Calgary Wranglers, tired of being kept from the top, pushed Seattle all the way to Game Seven, and won the deciding game to eliminate the Bears. The loss also meant the end of the super team, as Seattle decided to begin another rebuild after three dominant years. With his rookie contract set to expire, Dust'n Funk was moving on as well, and signed with the Stockholm Rams in free agency, where his brother Raymond was the General Manager. While it wound up being a brutal season for Stockholm, Funk again showed how talented he truly was. Away from the supremely talented Bears, he still amassed over 100 points, and a positive +/-, remarkable considering that the Rams only won a third of their games. Funk also blocked 69 (nice) shots, a remarkable number for a forward. However, the changes continued for Funk, as he took over the reins for his brother as General Manager, and moved the franchise to the location it remains at to this very day: Latvia. 

tuv0z_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fi

When you can match the talent of Scotty Campbell, as Funk did in assists during Season Six, you know you're achieving greatness. 

The Riga Reign began their inaugural season in Season Eight, and they wasted no time in becoming contenders right away. Although his work off the ice resulted in Riga turning into a strong team, and a Sam Pollack (now the David Knight) Trophy, it came at a considerable cost to his personal production. For the first time since his rookie year, Funk failed to score 100 points, falling well short with 66 points. His penalty minutes skyrocketed, and he finished with a -9 rating. However, the Reign not only reached the playoffs anyway, they reached the Continental Cup Finals, where they wound up on the losing end to the ever-dominant Calgary Wranglers in six games. Funk had one last season in him, and this time, he was determined to not neglect his on-ice performance on top of his duties off the ice. Riga was stronger than ever, comfortably finishing on top of the European Conference, and Dust'n Funk's return to form was a huge part of it. Scoring 41 goals and 65 assists, breaking the century mark one last time with 106 points. The biggest improvement, however, was his -9 shooting all the way up to a +64, providing Riga with the steady presence they needed to return to the playoffs. They met the Helsinki Titans, who finished second in the European Conference, in the playoffs, and proceeded to sweep them. Only the Toronto Legion stood in the way of Funk's storybook ending, but they were determined to win their first championship in franchise history. It all came down to a Game Seven, and Funk's playing career came to an end in defeat, as Toronto lifted their first-ever Continental Cup. 

Dust'n Funk did not need to wait very long to lift the Cup again, however. Season Ten was a rematch between Toronto and Riga, and once again it went to a Game Seven. This time, it was Funk's Reign who were victorious, and although he was not on the ice for it, he had finished the job and gotten Riga their first championship. The longer wait, as it turned out, would be for his induction into the Hall of Fame. His lack of individual hardware was a major point of critics, along with the supposed, "Scotty Campbell Effect," suggesting that Campbell was a major contributor to his success. It took seven seasons after his retirement, but the Father of the Riga Reign finally was enshrined into the VHL Hall of Fame in Season 16, along with Tomas Jenksovic. The story of Dust'n Funk features not one, but two great stories of redemption and improvement, which made him the natural namesake for the award bearing his name, which it always has since it's creation in Season 21, and it likely always will. 

nkJlN_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fi

Tomas Jenksovic entered the Hall of Fame with Funk, who was represented by none other than Scotty Campbell himself. 

Success is not a given, nor is it ever a certainty in the VHL. Many a player has learned that it is not just a matter of TPE or having a great build, nor is it being on the best team. Success often requires a combination of all of these things, and even then, it may not be enough. Luck might play a part of it, but as the career of Dust'n Funk shows, it always takes hard work to succeed in this league. You never know when success will come, but if you don't work your hardest, it for sure will not. Even when points and wins are few, players who continue to improve will one day find themselves on top of the mountain. 

Player Mentions: @BladeMaiden, @Doomsday, @Strummer, Ree_21, @scotty, @Cowboy, @McNeil

Review:

Another well researched and well thought out article and I see who it was by and I am not surprised. If your new to the VHL or have been living under a rock you probably don't know Doom is the bees knees and I'm not just saying that because he still rocks the sigs i made him. @Doomsday is that writer you can always count on for both facts and an interesting read. When I look at a doom article it all pure enjoyment but there is always the added bonus of learning something. His layouts are second to none with very professional use of graphics and test features that compliment his various topics. Doomsie, I don't know what to tell you, I'm suppose to come up with a fault yet here I am with only one, You didn't take your chance to call my brick out for the one season blunder of a wonder he was ;) 

10/10 for Dooms, because suck it I'm bias as hell and he deserves it.

This is a very useful little exposé on both the players and trophies that I, personally, had wondered about. Incredibly apropos timing on the article! Hell, really, there should be a link from the trophies in player profiles to this post just to explain what they mean to people who are new like myself. The writing itself was engaging and thoughtful, with a Sports History tone in the very words. Incredible writing, formatting, and use of pictures to frame the text. Thanks so much for writing it! 10/10