The VHL in 2020 - A Thread

Laine

I had this idea in my head to see how VHL members were doing both in and out of the VHL across 2020. Feel free to join the thread.

When 2020 first started, I wasn't aware of the VHL or the existence of sim leagues as a whole. I was just in school, doing sports and doing well in all my classes. I ended up getting my Bronze Medallion and Cross during January-February. Heading into March, I was excited because spring football was right around the corner and I had been training all winter to prepare. Little did I know that the next 9 months would be like nothing I've seen before.

I got an email on Thursday, March 12th saying that my school would be closing starting on March 23rd. I seen it coming, especially with the rapid surge of COVID-19 across Canada and the first case being discovered in Manitoba less than 24 hours earlier. My initial thoughts were "eh, 3 weeks inside (Spring Break as well) this won't be too bad." and I went along with it.

Once those three weeks had expired, the lockdown was extended indefinitely. This crushed me. I have the traits of both an extrovert and introvert but I prefer to be in-person than online. I still communicated with my friends online but things just didn't feel right. I wanted to see my friends and I really couldn't wait.

A day after I turned 16 in May, I discovered the VHL while browsing on Reddit for NHL 20 faceoff tips (YES, THAT IS ACTUALLY HOW I GOT HERE). I didn't make an account right away, but wrote down the site.

On May 26th, 2020, exactly 2 weeks after my birthday, I created my VHL account.

Lots of teams sent offers, such as the Kings, Rush and lots of others, but there was just something about Houston that stood out to me. It was S72 and they weren't doing so good. Their GM at the time, @Sonnet, offered me first line minutes right out of the gate which was a huge thing that swayed me to Houston. I signed a 1 year deal with them and discovered that Houston was a great place to be. I met many VHL members that I would consider good friends in Houston, particularly @MattyIce, @DreMin15 and @KnightRiley.

Heading into June, I decided I should tell some of my real life friends about the VHL, as I was really enjoying my time. I told @JigglyGumballs, one of my football and hockey teammates and a very good friend of mine, about this site. He joined in June and was generally confused at first. but I helped him though it and he has been with me through my entire VHL journey. I really owe him a lot for what he has done for this community as well.

As my summer break began, I began to write and dedicate a lot more time to the VHL. I have a lot of writing talent so my article were a go-to. These not only helped generate more user content in the community but also helped me improve my writing. I ended up getting a lot of attention for these are articles as they were hit after hit. This couldn't come at a better time as well, as July 2020 was the month of the S73 VHL Draft. My articles, activity and player after a relatively short development time helped me end up a projected first round pick in the draft.

At that point, I was just wondering where I would go. Calgary and London were constantly keeping up to date with me, and Seattle, Chicago and a few other teams had reached out. One of those teams who reached out was Helsinki. They had the 9th pick in the draft, and I wasn't projected to go until 12th. Their GM, @Jubo07, had reached out to me and said they had interest, but I really didn't hear anything else besides that. Heading into draft night, I knew Helsinki was still on the table, but London had made a big move to jump to 11 and possibly grab me. Helsinki ended up picking me up at 9 which actually confused me. I was an unproven first gen who had heaps of activity and potential but within such a short window. I really thought they had taken a chance on me. Once I talked with Jubo, he told me that it was a no-brainer and welcomed me into the VHL with open arms. I still thank him for giving me and opportunity like that every single day.

There was also the VHLM dispersal draft. There was a slight conflict there as I had intentions of going up, which caused teams to pass on me (I was projected to go 2nd overall I believe) and instead went in the 5th round to the Miami Marauders, a 2nd year expansion team led by GM @Ricer13 who had almost knocked off the top-seeded Minnesota Storm the season prior. After insight from Jubo, I decided to stay down for S73, but also cleared the air that there was no ill intent with my claims to go up. I listened to my GMs, as they knew a lot more than me. I had a solid S73 in Miami and continued my summer tear of articles, including my famous (or imfamous) Top 50 series. We had a solid team, but ended up losing in the Founder's Cup Finals. It was still a fun season nevertheless as Miami was a very good LR to be a part of during S73.

An underrated part of my S73 experience was the friends I made in the Houston LR. Even though I was now a Miami Marauder, I still kept active in the Houston LR that year as Minott, Jiggs and Matty were still there and a new GM in @rjfryman. There is one person that I met in Houston during S73 that I owe a lot to both in the VHL sense and a real life sense. That person is @BladeMaiden. She was awesome from the moment she stepped into the Houston LR and kept everyone active and positive. Her and Matty told me some valuable life lessons and other things that I still remember and follow by to this day. I am very appreciative for that and this is a moment to me that shows the VHL isn't just a hockey sim league. It is a community.

Heading into September, everything was looking up again. COVID Restrictions were getting better, I was on my way to the Helsinki Titans and I had a lot of friends on the site. However, I was going to have another set back. One of my family members passed away just a few days into September. This caused me to step away to recover before school started on September 8th. By the 6th, I was back and ready to go. 

My first two seasons in Helsinki have been a blast. We have great management with both Jubo and Blade in the front office and I have had the pleasure to play with some very good teammates who are also amazing people. My 3 year contract in Helsinki starts during S76 and I am really excited for the season ahead.

School so far has caused me to be busier and without time for my articles, but I still made time for the VHL community as by this point, the community was very close to my heart. September, October and November as a lot of the same as I would get weekly articles out, but just not like the ones I had during the summer. I still enjoyed what I did, also working for VSN across the summer helped. As December rolled around, my schedule got a bit looser and I got around to ideas that I have had for a bit. I decided within the first week of December that I wanted to do something for the VHL this holiday, and I decided to make sigs or write for members who wanted them. I haven't exactly finished those yet, but I plan to get them out in the next little while.

Heading into 2021, I am excited for both my future in school and sports but also my VHL future. This is a special community that has been close with me since I join. I'm really hoping that this momentum I gained in 2020 will continue into 2021. With school starting again on Monday and hopefully COVID restrictions going away within the foreseeable future, I am really hopeful that things might be back on track for me, but with a great community with me.

Feel free to write your own responses in replies. I really want to see how the rest of the community was doing during 2020.

(1477 words)

This was a pretty good article with a lot of details, you really have a talent for writing at a pretty young age and this will not only be helpful for your VHL success but for your whole life. Also, I find it funny that you found the VHL because you were searching an NHL 21 faceoff guide because I also found the VHL because of ea sport NHL researchs 😅 I will give your article a 9/10!

• Head Moderator

I generally love reading this kind of content because it gives me insight into what the other player experienced and just their thoughts on the community we've built., Am glad you and your friend are having fun and hope you continue to do so for the future.

In terms of the media spot itself, I would say you'd be better off going with a left alignment here, because as its currently centered, it kind of makes it look awkward for reading. Something to keep in mind as well is to section off parts of writing utilizing bold or underline effects in order to  add some formality to the writing. Lastly, you utilized the tags pretty well, but the general scheme of the writing is a bit on the bland side. You could add eye candy such as pictures/banners and such in order to combat this effect to give it some depth and coloration in terms of making it easier to read. Good job overall.

8/10

• 4 weeks later...