VHLM Trade Tree?? A Look Back at a Trade that Bridges Tenures

JigglyGumballs

So hey! Welcome to Trade Trees. I'm Steve Dan- I mean Jiggs and lemme ask you something. Have you actually seen a trade tree article in the VHL? Not really? Well lookie here, I got a trade tree for ya! Vegas since @Spartan's tenure (possibly even before), has had a reputation of trading draft picks. Heck I get physically abused for fun by being bludgeoned on the head for trading draft picks. So what happens when the previous, and current GM is trigger happy with trading picks? We got ourselves a trade tree. So in order to make a 500+ word .com article for a mere 2 TPE, let's dive into this trade tree which involves the Las Vegas Aces and Minnesota Storm.

Spoiler

4mW4pJV.png

HOLY SMOKES IS THAT TRADE ONE SIDED. So a bit of backstory. During the early days of S76 heading into mid-season. LVA was not doing so hot. Yes we were within range to sneak into the 4th seed in our conference, but we were in no position to make a deep run. So Spartan and I thought that it would be a good idea to fully commit to the rebuild. As I remember being told, the market was basically nonexistent at the time. So it was quite difficult to actually sell players. However, as you can see. A trade was still made. On February 6th 2021, the Las Vegas Aces trade winger Andy Nexber (@Domino Draws) for winger Sean Ramirez (@Kyle01), a S77 Minnesota 3rd round pick, a S77 Minnesota 5th rounder, and a S77 Minnesota 6th. Nexber was a top contributor in Vegas. Producing 39 points in 34 games. He scored 19 goals during that time. So I bet that now you're thinking "If he was so good, why was the return so low?" As I said before, the market was nonexistent. Most GMs at the time weren't too willing to buy players. So we had to make due with the value we had. Nexber in Minnesota notched 31 points in 38 games. Not really in the same pace as he did in Vegas, but his true value came in the post season. In 8 playoff games, he got 7 points! 4 goals and 3 assists. He was a top performer. However in the end, Minnesota would be eliminated and after that, Nexber moved on with Riga in the big leagues.

Now that was over with, what about the LVA side of things? Well Ramirez wasn't much for Vegas. In 38 games he amassed only 8 points as a bottom 6 forward. He did double his point totals that season with Vegas compared to Minnesota, but once again he wasn't much. He was also a waiver player. So by the rules of the VHLM, he was released and was actually reacquired by Minnesota 44th overall in the VHLM draft. Currently in this season in 7 games, he has 2 points and is a -2. So Vegas as of now didn't really lose much there. So what about the draft picks? To get things out of the way, the 5th and 6th rounder were both used by Vegas to draft Yonistov Zazilov (@Joey Smitherson) 59th overall and omarius bryant jr (@Omariusbryant123434) 71st overall. Zazilov, another right winger is still with the team, although he does not have any points this season as of late and is a -5. He's also really close to inactivity. Which is not that good. omarius bryant jr was dropped before he could even play a game due to inactivity. So what about the 3rd round pick? Well as the reigns of GM was passed from Spartan to me, I decided that the pick could be used to move up in the draft. We had another 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder in the draft to begin with, so it wasn't actually that bad of a move to use these extra picks to move up in the draft. With that in mind, during the S77 VHLM Dispersal Draft on March 15 2021, LVA trades a PHI 2nd rounder (17th overall),  MIN's 3rd rounder which was previously acquired in the Nexber trade (35th overall), and a LVA 4th rounder (43rd overall) to the Halifax 21st for Mexico's 1st (10th overall) and HFX's 6th (63rd overall).

So with the 17th overall pick, Halifax selected Baldur Poulsen (@GlowyGoat). A left winger who is also Halifax's AGM. So far Poulsen has been doing great. With 8 points in 7 games this season and is on pace to break current personal records. With Minnesota's pick, Halifax selected Brock Hampton (@SamTwoSix). A first-gen center who in my opinion is a pretty good steal with his early max earning. No points so far, but this kid is someone to definitely watch in the future. Finally with the 43rd overall pick, Halifax selected defenseman Donne Taliferro (@Wally). A current 166 TPE clicker with just 3 points in 7 games. Not too bad. So far Halifax's haul is looking pretty good. So what about Vegas? What did I get in return? Well at 10th overall, Vegas selected defenseman Sven Reikkinen (@Devise). A defenseman with a high offensive build. So far he's played excellent. With 5 goals, 5 assists and 10 points in 8 games and with a164 TPE and a max earning rate, Devise looks to be a pretty good add. However the -9 is concerning. The Halifax 6th rounder on the other hand was used to select Egor Minuski (@ttman) 63rd overall. So far he's only updated with practice and welfare, and has only 2 points on the season. Though as a 6th rounder in a rather weak draft class. I think this pick was actually pretty good. I have some expectations for him in the future and I sincerely hope he pans out.

So who won this trade? Minnesota in the end, didn't win the cup and lost Nexber after 38 regular season, and 8 post season games. Las Vegas was left with Devise, who's not too shabby, and a couple of questionable players. Halifax on the other hand, was left with their AGM, a really good first-gen, and a clicker. So what does this say about who won? Well for me, it hasn't been decided yet. To me whoever wins this trade will find out in the postseason. The trade is still recent and there are still factors to be played. Key point being whether or not Devise stays for another season, which I doubt. Though if I have to chose now, I'd probably say @Rayzor_7 won this trade just cause I don't want @rory winning anything.

Anyways that's the trade tree, I hope you guys enjoy, leave a comment on the comment box below, tell all your friends, that this is end is a bit of a fucking rip-off.

7 minutes ago, PatrikLaine said:

Jiggs = Steve Dangle confirmed?

That would make me a leafs fan, so no.

Also a couple of things I forgot to mention. I do know that some of these picks that were traded weren't originally owned by the teams that actually traded them. I chose to not cover where those picks came from because it would require me to go off-track from the specific trade I'm making a tree about. I'd probably make another trade tree if anyone wants me to cover one, whether it be VHL or VHLM tho. Would be fun to see 🙂

6 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

@JigglyGumballs I got a lopsided one for you:

We had the draft about 2 days before this, and I took James Lombardi in the 9th round. Jacobaa then offered a 2nd and 3rd for him.

Holy shit what a deal lol

13 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

@JigglyGumballs I got a lopsided one for you:

We had the draft about 2 days before this, and I took James Lombardi in the 9th round. Jacobaa then offered a 2nd and 3rd for him.

This is one hell of a fucked trade tree. All from a 3rd round pick