What's the Best Thing About Your NHL Team?

Gustav

Yes, my team is the Sabres. Yes, they've won a couple lately. That doesn't change the fact that they're currently a garbage team and have been that way for just about as long as I've been old enough to actually follow the team and know what was going on in the league--sure, I have some vague playoff memories and spent a good amount of time up until I was 12 or so just watching the team and being happy when they won and such...but as long as I've managed to pay half-attention to league matters, they've been awful.

Which brings me to this question--not counting "I live here" as an example, why do you like the team you like? What's the best part about being a fan of whichever team you're into? I want to know what makes your team special, and why I should have respect for your team and fans like yourself. I'm not going to change my favorite team here (as much as it might make me happier, I refuse to sell out), but I do need some positivity in my NHL life.

I'll start--the best part about being a Sabres fan is that nobody can ever accuse me of being a bandwagoner. I'll stop there because every other redeeming quality I can think of has at least one negative aspect to it. 

I am a fan of Tampa Bay Lightning. 

My origin story as a hockey fan dates back to October of 2009. I was a young lad and was interested in all of the sports and just really wanted to get into Hockey more as my dad had bought me NHL 2006 for our PC (I very rarely got any type of Games as I my family was living quite poor and NHL 06 was being sold at like 60% discount). So, I decided to turn on our TV and go to Czech Sports channel that we had on our Satellite TV. I saw that they are showing a rerun of previous week's NHL game between Bolts and Senators. I promised that I will follow a team that will loose. Tampa lost, if I recall correctly 6-1 or 7-1. 

That is my team. I love Tampa not because it is a great team but because it has an important place in my heart, it is a team that I associate when I think of my late father. 

Hawks fan, live in Chicago, hard to choose from so many options, but we certainly offer the best national anthem.  OK I couldn't resist, also the best goal song.

free july 4 GIF

Edited by frescoelmo

I started liking the Islanders just because my dad liked them. I started watching hockey in the 2012 playoffs, and one of the first things I remember about watching hockey that isn't islanders related is when the Kings smoked Vancouver, but I specifically remember the game that the Canucks won in that series. I always liked the Kings because of that, but the Islanders were still my favorite. Kyle Okposo was my favorite player for whatever reason. I still am pissed that Jamie Benn beat out Tavares for the Art Ross in 2015, and I still think Tavares deserved the Hart that year. The Islanders were expected to be mediocre again, but he single handedly led them to the playoffs, and nearly home ice advantage. As an Islanders fan I'm not much of a Tavares fan anymore but this man turned Matt Moulson into a three time 30 goal scorer. He turned Okposo into a 50-60 point scorer, and made absolute bums look good. 

The most memorable moments I have are all from going to the games at Nassau Coliseum, since Barclays is terrible. My first was game 6 against the Capitals in 2015, which ended up being the last game at the Coliseum at the time. It was so hype when they won, even though they sucked in game 7. The other two memories are the Josh Bailey overtime winner in game one in 2019, and the best was Tavares' return to Long Island that year. That place was insane. Even though I wasn't even mad at him like other fans it still was the greatest game I have ever been too. I still appreciate Tavares though, I was watching some playoff highlights since 2013 and he scored so many big goals for us. I still don't know how to feel now that the Islanders are actually good, and maybe even contenders even though their roster doesn't look amazing. 

22 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

but we certainly offer the best national anthem

100% Agree. I'm not even American nor a Blackhawks fan, but the atmosphere when Cornelison sang at the 2019 Winter Classic gave me chills.

59 minutes ago, dlamb said:

100% Agree. I'm not even American nor a Blackhawks fan, but the atmosphere when Cornelison sang at the 2019 Winter Classic gave me chills.

Yeah he is a beast.  If you ever get the chance a home game at the United Center is pretty great.