Claimed:Express Retire #19 – Celebrating Kameron Taylor’s Career

Express Retire #19 – Celebrating Kameron Taylor’s Career

It was a special opening night to this season for the Cologne Express. For the first time in franchise history a jersey was going up to the rafters as the Express had their very first number retirement ceremony. And who else could it be than the man who basically brought the Express to Cologne, who shaped the Franchise into what it is today before unselfishly stepping aside to let a new generation take over and help Cologne gain some extra assets to jumpstart their rebuild. We are talking of course about Kameron Taylor, whose Number #19 will never be given out again by the Express organization and whose jersey will be watching over the players from now on.

A big group of friends, former teammates, coaches, family members, reporters and hockey people from all areas of the sport had gathered to celebrate the career of the recently retired Taylor, who spent a little over six seasons on the Express before being traded to the Riga Reign midway through Season 37 and playing out the rest of his career there.

WILD_STARS_HOCKEY_36420609.jpg

“When I think of Cologne, I still think of Kameron Taylor. In an era where Cologne failed to attract any notable FAs Taylor was the heart and soul of the franchise that saw a moderate amount of roster turnover from year to year. It's a shame that we weren't able to achieve any playoff success during Jim Gow's stint on the Express, as we had one of the best locker rooms in the league. From a personal standpoint, He is one of the main reasons that I'm here in the VHL. He did a great job of keeping me active and fostering a positive environment in the locker room even though our team didn't always have success in the standings.” – Jim Gow, Taylor’s teammate from S32-S34

For many people, the name Kameron Taylor was almost synonymous with the Cologne Express for many years. Taylor was the man that brought an expansion team to Cologne along with general manager Joey Kendrick and he was on the team from day one, going with it through the struggles that almost all the expansion teams eventually face while always leading by example. After a decent but not great rookie campaign that saw him put up 62 points, he exploded in his sophomore season where he improved to 102 points, the first of five 100-point campaigns for Taylor.

“Kameron Taylor was the best man and player I've ever known. He is a real leader on and off the ice, I know many times he helped me when I was on my lowest points. He rallied the team together when all seemed lost. Without Kameron and his #19 on the ice the Cologne Express would not have been as successful as they had been. I’m glad he is getting this honor and it is well deserved.” - Greg Glass, Taylor’s teammate from S33-S36

Taylor wouldn’t hit the 100 point-mark again for two seasons before breaking into the triple digits each season for the rest of his career. But it aren’t his individual performances that make people in Cologne speak so highly of him, it’s his off-ice contributions, his leadership and his character that no fan of the Express has forgotten about. Taylor turned the Express into a playoff-team without ever tanking a season, he built the most active locker room in the league even though no free agents wanted to sign with the unknown expansion team and even though he was never able to lead the team to the finals, it was his influence that helped getting a lot of great VHL-careers started.

mike-modano.jpg

“Kameron Taylor was the best teammate anyone could have asked for and that's really saying something given the group of guys we had in Cologne. It was strange how he managed to be a veteran presence and yet seem youthful at the same time. I recall the first time I walked into the Express locker room, surely with a look of bewilderment on my face, Taylor walked right up to me and showed me around. He introduced me to everyone on the team and made sure I felt welcome. This wasn't some kind of special thing he did for me, it was just the norm. He wanted everyone to feel like they were at home in Cologne. At the same time though, he kept us all accountable. I don't know how he managed to walk the line between a strict captain and a welcoming friend so perfectly but he did. That's the kind of player you want to have on your side, someone that you don't want to disappoint. It makes you a better player and it makes the team stronger. Taylor was that kind of player.“ - Evgeni Chekhov, Taylor’s teammate from S33-S37

When the Kameron Taylor era in Cologne ended it came as a shock to many of the fans, but it was hardly a surprise. After General Manager Joey Kendrick had stepped down and German-born Alexander Schneider had taken over following the conclusion of Season 36, many expected that Taylor could be moved to start the first real rebuild in franchise history. The franchise face had just had the best individual season of his career (123 points) but trade rumors got louder and louder every week until finally, closing in on the Season 37 deadline, the Cologne Express announced that they had traded the best player in franchise history to the Riga Reign along with Defenseman Malcom Spud. Going to Cologne was a big package of draft picks to bring in the next generation of Express players.  The Kameron Taylor era was over.

"Words cannot express what Kameron meant to this franchise. From the moment he joined the Express he was the heart and soul of the team. There wasn't a moment where I caught Kameron saying something negative, as he was constantly motivating his teammates, and bringing excitement to the team." – Malcom Spud, Taylor’s teammate from S35-S38 and also part of the trade that sent Taylor to Riga

Taylor continued his successful career but he would not reach his goal to win a cup in Riga either. As the highest-scoring player on the Reign in each of the two-seasons he was there Taylor proved that he couldn’t just rack up points as the best player on an underdog team, but could also lead a stacked group with more veteran talent and more pressure to perform. When Taylor finally retired following the conclusion of Season 38, it wasn’t in a Cologne Express jersey but in a Riga Reign sweater. Still, for fans not just in Germany but around the league Kameron Taylor is the first name that comes to mind when someone mentions the Cologne Express. He is the man that made the franchise. He is the best player Cologne ever had. And from this moment on, his number #19 is retired.

taylors31.png

“I wouldn’t be where I am today without Kameron. When my passion for hockey was starting to fade he believed in me and brought me to Cologne to get my career back on track. When I struggled in my first few seasons he always had my back and helped me out whenever he could. And when I finally was ready for more responsibility he gave me just that and always kept pushing me to get better as a player and a person. And I don’t think he did that just for me, he did that for everyone who was willing to take his help. Kameron leads by example and I was incredibly lucky that he was here for both me and the entire franchise. I think only now that he is actually gone  people finally realize how big the hole that he left really is.” – David Collier, Taylor’s teammate from S34-S37

Thank you to Boom for the banner and to all of Kendrick's former teammates that provided me with statements for this article :)

Woah! Thanks guys, I totally didn't expect this and most of all had no clue an article like this was being created. So thank you for recapping my glory years in Cologne. Not only was this written very well, it was great to see some quotes from former teammates in the German city. No cup, but tons of memories and lots of class from the group that helped me in Cologne! Cheers! :col: #expressos

Edited by Kendrick

Congrats Kendrick! Getting my number retired in Riga is probably my favorite honor. So enjoy it. :)

Agreed, it's a good consolation from never winning a cup. A grand honour!

Congratulations Taylor, the rivalry we had is more or less the story to Landry's career. But tonight, it's your time, your night to be on top. Enjoy it, and here's to the memories that led to this honor.

Congratulations Taylor, the rivalry we had is more or less the story to Landry's career. But tonight, it's your time, your night to be on top. Enjoy it, and here's to the memories that led to this honor.

Thanks! It was a good rivalry even though I came out on the short side of things most times. Who would've thought a man who shares the same name as the legendary coach would go head to head against the guy who worships Vince Lombardi haha

Thanks! It was a good rivalry even though I came out on the short side of things most times. Who would've thought a man who shares the same name as the legendary coach would go head to head against the guy who worships Vince Lombardi haha

Certainly adds an element to it all that I didn't catch before. Like Lombardi, Taylor will certainly be remembered by the VHL for years to come, but I have two more seasons to make sure Landry earns immortality as his namesake did.

Edited by Doomsday

Certainly adds an element to it all that I didn't catch before. Like Lombardi, Taylor will certainly be remembered by the VHL for years to come, but I have two more seasons to make sure Landry earns immortality as his namesake did.

Please wear a fedora in one of your sigs.

A little late, but CONGRATS KENNY! Great Career. Very well deserved. A gentleman and a scholar. Top notch. 

I only hold the door open for my fiancé's friends, it shows alpha male qualities.

• Senior Admin

Content: 3/3

Really good read here. Great way to honour Taylor. Loved the quotes and I thought it was a really nice thing to do. Congrats go out to Kendrick on being the first number to be sent to the Cologne rafters.

Grammar: 2/2

Good.

Appearance: 1/1

Looks great.

Overall: 6/6