Is Being a Top Pick in The VHLM Draft a Good Indicator of Potential for Success in The VHL?

Alex

Since I just went through my first VHLM Draft as an AGM I’ve been wondering if a player is a top pick (first overall) in the VHLM draft do they typically have success in the VHL once their M career is over. The answer to this question is relatively complicated as there have been several recent players to find a great deal of success in the VHL, and some who have not following their final season in the VHLM. In this article we will try to make a reasonable decision to answer this question looking back on the first overall selections dating back to the S69 VHLM draft where the Saskatoon selected David O’Quinn first overall, and up until the most recent selection of Alex Johnston by the Philadelphia Reapers last offseason.

S69 – David O’Quinn ( @David O'Quinn ):ssk:

Individual Accolades:

S69- Vladimir Boomchenko Trophy

S69- Founder’s Cup

S71- Victory Cup

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

The Season 69 VHLM first overall pick defenseman David O’Quinn had a very promising season in the VHLM after being drafted putting up 15 goals and a remarkable 99 assists for 114 points in 72 games. O’Quinn was selected by the New York Americans 12th overall in the S69 VHL draft. After spending S69 with Saskatoon, O’Quinn was called up to New York for 1 season before being traded to Vancouver mid-season 71. During the off-season following S71 O’Quinn would be traded again to Davos where he would retire after 3 seasons. O’Quinn had a relatively short VHL career before retiring in which he never put up more than 11 goals and 59 points. O’Quinn retired following S74.

S70 – Erik Killinger ( @Peace ):hou:

Individual Accolades:

S69 - Founder’s Cup

S77 - Sterling Labatte Trophy

S77 - Jake Wylde Trophy

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

The season 70 VHLM first overall pick has come a long way since his draft season, being selected by the Houston Bulls and scoring an impressive 62 goals, and 62 assists for 124 points in 72 games during S70. Following S70 Killinger would enter the VHL draft and be selected 11th overall by the Toronto Legion Where he would spend the first 4 seasons of his career putting up a career high of 90 points in his final season with the team. Following this Killinger was traded to London where he would continue to produce for the 3 seasons he was there scoring on a pace that was just above a point per game. After spending S77 in London, Killinger was traded back to Toronto where he has continued to produce at an impressive pace.

S71 – Joe Proto ( @proto ) :veg:

Individual Accolades:

S70 – Founder’s Cup

Career Statistics

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

Joe Proto was selected first overall in the S71 VHLM draft by the Las Vegas Aces. Prior to the S71 draft Proto won a Founder’s cup with Minnesota where he signed as a free agent. During S71 Proto would be very productive for the Aces recording 54 goals and 57 assists for 111 points in 72 games as a winger. Proto was selected 8th overall in the S71 VHL draft by the Vancouver Wolves where he would play for S72 putting up 30 points in their rookie season before being traded to Calgary 12 games into S73. Following S73 Proto was traded yet again to Davos where he would play 35 games and score 12 goals, before being traded yet again, this time to New York. Proto would play for both London and Toronto prior to being released before the start of S77. Proto had a career that is pretty mush the definition of being a journey-man playing for 6 different VHL teams over a 5 season VHL career. Proto is currently unsigned and is a free agent in the VHL.

S72 – Chris Hylands ( @hylands ) :mck:

Individual Accolades:

S73 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy

S75 Daisuke Kanou Trophy

S75 Continental Cup

S77 Victory Cup

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

The Season 72 VHLM first overall pick has had one of the better careers when compared to the other former VHLM first overall picks in this article. Selected first overall in the S72 VHLM draft by Mexico City, Hylands would go onto having a dominant season following his VHLM draft, recording 52 goals, and 55 assists for a total of 107 points. Hylands was also selected 14th overall in the S72 by the Malmo Nighthawks where Hylands would spend his entire career up until  waiving his no trade clause to go to Warsaw where they play today. During Hylands’ time in Malmo they became a household name continuously being well above a point per game and winning a Continental Cup in S75.

S73 – John Merrick ( @Steve ) :sdm:

Individual Accolades:

S75 Mike Szatkowski Trophy

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

The S73 first overall pick John Merrick was selected by the San Diego Marlins where he would go onto have an excellent season scoring 54 goals and adding 55 assists for 109 points during a full 72 game season. Merrick was also drafted in the S73 VHL draft, 5th overall by the Toronto Legion where he would go onto have a solid 2 seasons highlighted by winning the S75 Mike Szatkowski Trophy. 6 games into S76 Merrick was traded to Los Angeles where he would continue to produce at a rate just above a point per game. Early in S78 it appears that Merrick’s production has begun to decrease as for the first time in their career they are producing at a rate below a point per game.

S74 – Wolf Weiss ( @Matmenzinger ) :hfx:

Individual Accolades:

None

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

The S74 first overall selection, Weiss has had a consistent career since his draft. Weiss had an average season for Halifax following the draft, recording 25 goals and 32 assists for 57 points in 72 games, a step back from the previous season with Ottawa where he had a total of 83 points. Weiss was also selected 25th overall by Toronto in the S74 VHL draft and would be productive early in his career putting up their career high for goals and assists in their rookie season with 22 goals and 25 assists for 47 points. After spending their first 2 full seasons in Toronto Weiss was traded to Vancouver 23 games into S77. Since being traded Weiss has remained as consistent as ever and has 4 goals and 5 assists for 9 points in 22 games so far this season with the Vancouver Wolves.

S75 – Cowboy Prout ( @Prout ) :sdm:

Individual Accolades:

None

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

One of three defenseman drafted first overall in the last ten seasons, Prout’s career has taken off in a very different direction than that of S69 selection David O’Quinn. Prout was drafted by San Diego first overall in the S75 draft and proceeded to have a very good S75 with San Diego scoring 22 goals and adding 69 (nice) assists for a total of 91 points in 72 games. Prout was also selected 20th by the New York Americans, during his rookie season Prout proceeded to be a valuable member of New York’s defensive core before being traded near the deadline to Calgary where he remains today. During his stint with New York Prout scored 10 goals and had 37 assists for 47 points in 58 games. Since then Prout has been a leader on the blueline in Calgary and was recently named an alternate captain for the team.

S76 – Paul Atreides ( @Mr_Hatter ) :hou:

Individual Accolades:

None

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

VHLM

Atreides, the only player included in this article that was a first overall pick in both the VHL and VHLM drafts. Selected first overall in the S76 VHLM draft by the Houston Bulls, Atreides took off to an incredible season in the VHLM scoring 42 goals and 64 assists for 106 points in 72 games. Following that dominant season in the VHLM Atreides was selected first overall in the S77 VHL draft by the Moscow Menace . Since joining Moscow Atreides has become a valuable member of the team, breaking the 30 goal mark in their rookie season and is off to a great start this season, already having 32 points in 25 games.

S77 – The Loch Ness Monster ( @LuluSalesAway ) :sdm:

Individual Accolades:

None

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

VHLM

The season 77 VHLM first overall pick The Loch Ness Monster was selected by the San Diego Marlins. They are also the only player included in this article to play in the VHLM for 2 seasons following their VHLM draft. During their time with San Diego they have become a valuable part of the team and are currently a top 2 defenceman for San Diego. Given their current growth rate they will be joining the New York Americans next season, New York acquired The Loch Ness Monster from Malmo who selected them with the 17th overall selection in the S77 VHL draft.

S78 – Alex Johnston ( @Alex_J32 ) :phi:

Individual Accolades:

None

Career Statistics:

League

GP

G

A

P

+/-

SHT

PIM

HIT

SB

VHL

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

VHLM

The season 78 first overall selection in the VHLM draft is off to a good start with his new team, the Philadelphia Reapers. Johnston has recorded 20 goals and 26 assists for 46 points since joining the Reapers and hopes to continue his play for the remainder of the season. Johnston will be joining the Calgary Wranglers of the VHL next season who selected him 8th overall in the VHL draft last season.

During the process of writing this article I had the opportunity to discuss what it was like being a top selection in the VHLM draft and transitioning to the VHL with a recent VHLM first overall pick Cowboy Prout, the following is our exchange:

Me: What was your experience like being a first overall selection the VHLM?

Prout: It was a great experience I’ve told this story i don’t know how many times but as a first gen and my tpe at time I thought it wasn’t possible but with me being active and earning, and being social I feel made a difference and I loved the Marlins. Rockstar was great there for me personally and when he took me back as a “off board pick” was really just overall good move by him I’ve thanked him for it. The discord chat was one of my favourite VHL moments. The hype I had it made me feel good not gonna lie and I was damn happy haha.

Me: How has your career gone so far?

Prout: Not up to par like I hoped but I’m still fairly decent I’d say. The production this season has boosted finally, and I’ve seen just better games by myself which is a step in right direction.

Me: During your rookie season in the VHL you were traded, what was that experience like?

Prout: I’m pretty sure most knew I requested my trade. I liked the LR for most part in New York and they still have some of the guys that were there before that I really liked. Esso was good about it and there’s water under the bridge here. Obviously, something you don’t want to do especially first gen and all, but I felt it was best at the time and I’ve had a great chance in Calgary. My first season over was Jubis stepping down. He was great. I respect him a lot here. Then Ricer taking over was one of the best moves. Ricer is one hell of a gm and he’s amazing stand up guy. The team has a bright future in Calgary.

Being a top pick in the VHLM draft is a great way to start your career, and is a really cool experience for the lucky few who get to enjoy it but, as of now the question of ‘Is Being a Top Pick in The VHLM Draft a good Indicator of Potential for Success in the VHL?’ will remain unanswered as yes there has been several players to experience success and potentially make it to the Hall of Fame following being a first overall selection in the VHLM draft, there has also been several players who have not found success, hopped from team to team, or just retired very early. The real answer to this question may come a few seasons down the road when the up and coming group of former VHLM first overall selections of; Cowboy Prout, Paul Atreides, The Loch Ness Monster, and Alex Johnston have played through their VHL careers.

Special thanks to @Prout for answering my interview questions.

Words: 2355

Claiming 1/4

Edited by Alex_J32

• Alex changed the title to Is Being a Top Pick in The VHLM Draft a Good Indicator of Potential for Success in The VHL?

Review 

this is fire, a very well thought out topic with information to back it up, I like how interested of just showing every season you just broke it up by league so it’s cleaner, I like how you looked at it from the M perspective and I also like that you took the time to put the M logos on the side

rating 10/10

Review: Time and effort you put in shows, excellent article. Cool topic to read about for sure. Like crstats said, stats are awesome to reference. A lot of solid material packed in. Interview is a great bonus, as well as of course the analysis of each player, intro & conclusion. Nothing I can think of to improve, really good read. 10/10. 

I'm so hype for VHLE. I'm loving anything to do with it but as someone who likes tables and stats....THOSE Tables you made made my soul happy and its such a clean layout. I love it so much and my heart is happy. thanks! 10/10

On 6/3/2021 at 2:51 PM, Darth Kaprizov said:

Nice work!  Maybe grab a random number from the draft, say maybe # 34 and see how those players pan out.  

That's a really good idea! I may work my way down through the draft for future Articles when I need something to write about!

Thank you!