Its Time to Axe Trivia

v.2

6 hours ago, Spartan said:

Unfortunately standards for reviews are basically set on an updater by updater basis. 

These are our current "standards":

Reviewing should now consist of at least 1 Constructive Paragraph for 1 Capped TPE each. 
You may do up to 2 Reviews Weekly and they must include a score out of 10 on top of the constructive criticism that they would normally contain.

So "1 constructive paragraph" is pretty vague, and I personally interpret it as 3-4 sentences that should be at least 100 words. However, I drop it a bit to just 2-3 full sentences of somewhat relevant feedback/criticism because very few people write 100+ words for reviews. However, I think that there should be word counts for reviews, because we have word counts for just about everything else. Media spots must be at least 500 words, VHL.com articles are 150 minimum (I think it should be 200), so the trend seems to be about 70-80 words per 1 tpe. Press conferences are also super lax, we're just enforcing "full sentences as responses" as the requirement. Overall though, I'd rather see the league push people towards creating more content than having 5+ reviews saying the same thing on an article from 2 weeks ago.

I don't really care about hard guidelines; I'm just saying let's not start approving stuff like "7/10 good graphic I like the colors" anytime soon.

52 minutes ago, Fire Vigneault said:

No reason to axe it - having to actually work/earn your TPE died in like 2014.

If we're going to keep everything easy to earn, at least trivia makes you learn interesting things.

Well then this brings us back to @rory 's reply.  Someone more passionate needs to run it now, and maybe tweak how it works a bit (whether its portal integration etc).

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

I don't really care about hard guidelines; I'm just saying let's not start approving stuff like "7/10 good graphic I like the colors" anytime soon.

This is why reviews suck because so many half assed ones slip through the cracks, and people see that and then think "hey why should I bother to put in effort if that guy didn't and got approved".  But I guess thats on the updaters.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, v.2 said:

(I'm sure @Victorwill love this thread.)

I think it's time to get rid of trivia.  While the positives that come from it are teaching members about some of the history/records/HOFers of the league, it's a bit of a cake walk in terms of justifiably earning TPE.  It's known that everyone just "cheats" and waits for the answers to be posted in the discord LRs, with maybe a handful of members doing some actual research and digging for the correct answers each week.  This was very evident about a month ago when practically everyone only earned 1 TPE for an incorrect answer.  Another issue (and I am in no way pinning any blame on Victor or anyone) is that when trivia is late, delayed, or in the off season, members get stuck in 2TPE limbo unsure of when they can earn the final 2 capped on the week.

My suggestions for a replacement include the following:

- Allow for 4 reviews a week (I personally hate reviews so this is not my #1 fix)

- Allow for 2 .com's per week, whether its 2 GFX, a graphic and an article, etc.  Whatever adds up to 4 capped .com TPE.

- To preserve the purpose of trivia, allow members to submit a "History fact" or some "League Lore" for 2 TPE.  Essentially this would be each individual member who does this providing their own trivia style question and answer based on some homework they've done themselves on the forum or portal.

Ultimately I'm just trying to drum up some discussion here and see what some other sentiments toward this are.

To be fair, in my LR we discussed that answer and concluded we had it right. I still believe I had it right even though it was wrong. 

17 hours ago, v.2 said:

This is why reviews suck because so many half assed ones slip through the cracks, and people see that and then think "hey why should I bother to put in effort if that guy didn't and got approved".  But I guess thats on the updaters.

Yes.

Reviews need to be constructive. A couple sentences at least, with more than "I like the colours". There's definitely times where a review will say it's good, but I don't agree at all. If people don't understand what goes into graphics and how much effort is required for this or that, then they shouldn't be reviewing graphics.

2 hours ago, Tate said:

I disagree with this statement as a review can/should be done by anyone on any medium.

Graphics, media, and podcasts are all forms of art that will or will not be appreciated by people of varying interests and skills. Just because I don’t personally make graphics doesn’t mean I can’t have a constructive opinion on how I feel about them, and the same can be said for media or podcasts. 

What is important for the reviewer is to make sure that they are offering constructive feedback and not just trying to cash in on cheap TPE.

What is important is for the person who made the art is to understand that not all reviews or opinions matter, as they are merely someone else’s opinion, and a way for people to offer some form of feedback. 

I think we should 100% change practice facility to 3 TPE like @STZ mentioned because trivia has really turned into something that only a select few task themselves with finding the answers and then posting them for everyone else. 

Trivia should instead be a rolling media with “flashbacks” to events/players that people can read about through VSN. 

I don't mind everyone reviewing at all, but sometimes it just doesn't look great.

Sometimes, you get somebody saying great job on a graphic, but then the updaters and I have agreed that the graphic is borderline at passing for TPE. Like, someone who has constantly posted graphics without any improvement or much effort, but then the "review" says it's a great job.

It just sometimes gets confusing if there's a post saying it's awesome from a "review", while in the background they get a DM or a post from updaters or me saying that it's not.

Being my first season here and having never experienced trivia: I think it was the part I was looking least forward to. Perhaps an alternative task would be better that could take a similar amount of effort. (Do consider that from what I'm reading, people just end up sharing the answer anyways so trivia didn't have much effort to begin with it seemed.)

I can't quite think of an alternative that has not been already presented, but I do think that trivia is ok to sunset.

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Tate said:

I think we should 100% change practice facility to 3 TPE like @STZ mentioned because trivia has really turned into something that only a select few task themselves with finding the answers and then posting them for everyone else. 

I fail to see how the two are related since trivia is capped and PF is uncapped. If the argument is that trivia should be replaced because it’s just Handing people free TPE for doing nothing then how is handing then more free TPE for clicking a button any better?

• Commissioner
14 minutes ago, Tate said:

So I have no qualms at all with hitting a button to get free TPE. 

I say, bring it on baby. ;)

But it already exists and it's already uncapped. This isn't about a new "gimme more more more" button it's just about increasing the one that already exists for literally no reason or benefit.

40 minutes ago, Beketov said:

If the argument is that trivia should be replaced because it’s just Handing people free TPE for doing nothing then how is handing then more free TPE for clicking a button any better?

Because then we don't have to wait on Victor to post/decide if he's doing it LOL

Edited by v.2

• Commissioner
Just now, v.2 said:

Because then we don't have to wait on Victor to post LOL

But you still would. As I said, trivia is capped, PF is uncapped. So increasing PF doesn't make you hit the cap which means you'd still be waiting.

Revamping Trivia: I have no qualms with the idea.

Revamping Trivia by increasing PF: I'm pretty sure @STZ was joking and it makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

But you still would. As I said, trivia is capped, PF is uncapped. So increasing PF doesn't make you hit the cap which means you'd still be waiting.

Revamping Trivia: I have no qualms with the idea.

Revamping Trivia by increasing PF: I'm pretty sure @STZ was joking and it makes no sense.

Lol, not the ideal fix and VHLM would have to be bumped to 4.

But yeah a revamp is def required at this point it seems.

Edited by v.2