Is it time to fire Helsinki GM's?

jRuutu

When I look at the Helsinki Titans roster and then look at other teams in the European division, it's painfully obvious that the Titans are not playing as well as they could. You perhaps can't trust the TPE/TPA number as much nowadays, but seeing Titans with 20 points and a team like London with 38 shows that something is going on. The general managers in Helsinki have done a solid job in putting themselves into a position where they have great players on the roster. No matter how you twist it and turn it around - Titans is a team with the potential to at very least make the playoffs and give a tough match to any team in this league. However, at the moment, Helsinki is not even making the playoffs.  For some mysterious reason, the management has decided to just call it a day. Very little is done. There is no urgency.  Almost as if the management does not even look at the roster or portal after each sim to see if this was a good or bad result.  Did the team play as well as it could? Almost as if the management put the lines together at the start of the season and decided to just roll with it, no need to make that many changes: ''perhaps it's the new builds, perhaps other teams are just better?'' That type of calm and calculated approach is maybe fine in a team that does not have that many players, but in a team like Helsinki? 

There appears to be no real plan in place. Or if there is, the plan is a mysterious one. It takes 25 games into the season for the suits to come down, and state that changes are going to happen. Backup games with the bot are thrown in almost randomly. The bot is in the net when we play the division rivals. Six players have their contracts running out after this season. The press conference questions are not done until someone says something about it. Then when they do get posted, the questions are shit. Captaincy thread is not done.  I have maybe asked this before, but I'm going to ask it again: how do you get fired as a GM?

If the talk about upcoming cap trouble for many teams is true - what is going to happen if six players from Helsinki show up to the free agency market?

For some reason, I'm under the impression that there is a lot of competition for GM jobs in VHL, is that still true? I have to think it can't be true. There is no way the level of GMing I see in Helsinki is fine for a VHL team if there is real competition.  

But who am I to say anything? I'm just a player. Perhaps there is a plan in place that is being followed. Perhaps the management knows the roster and users well enough to say that press conferences are not needed, or that questions can be whatever, the players will find other ways to earn TPE. Perhaps captaincy threads are things of the past and not needed. Perhaps lines are good enough as they are at the beginning of the season, the team is just not good enough, and others are better. Perhaps it does not matter when you throw the backup in. There is plenty of time for contract talks after the season.

28 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

If the talk about upcoming cap trouble for many teams is true - what is going to happen if six players from Helsinki show up to the free agency market?

I mean Helsinki will have 5 or so players coming up from the VHLE next season, so this could mitigate the cap situation... and they have 2 first rounders in the S84 draft. One of the problems Helsinki has is being in a strong European conference. If they were in the NA conference and all being the same, they were in the Wildcard spot and in striking distance of a playoff seed.

Dunno if anything here screams mismanagement, or anything that's a fireable offense. The results were lacking and there were some inconveniences, sure, but I don't think the management should be removed by any means.

I do sympathize with some of the arguments here and share some frustrations with the results and our performance, but those are concerns I take up with Rayz and try to figure it out internally. As long as there is still some communication and willingness to improve, I am satisfied. If that goes away however, I will be very displeased.

@jRuutu feel free to ping me next time you want to talk shit. 

If you have a problem with how things are being run, there are productive ways about raising concerns that don't insult and demean people. I personally welcome critique, and I understand there are legitimate criticisms about how things have been going recently. However, a few points to make about your call outs, just to clarify a few things for you, to provide some nuance in your understanding. 

10 hours ago, jRuutu said:

For some mysterious reason, the management has decided to just call it a day. Very little is done. There is no urgency.  Almost as if the management does not even look at the roster or portal after each sim to see if this was a good or bad result.  Did the team play as well as it could? Almost as if the management put the lines together at the start of the season and decided to just roll with it, no need to make that many changes: ''perhaps it's the new builds, perhaps other teams are just better?'' That type of calm and calculated approach is maybe fine in a team that does not have that many players, but in a team like Helsinki? 

Probably somewhat valid; we haven't been completely on top of every single event in the sim, and I am sure there are teams with more active GMs. Of course, people do have lives outside of the VHL that require some amount of commitment, but you are right that we haven't been as active as possible.

There appears to be no real plan in place. Or if there is, the plan is a mysterious one. It takes 25 games into the season for the suits to come down, and state that changes are going to happen.

Sometimes there aren't significant tweaks to be made. Sometimes you have to let it roll. That being said, its fair to say there should have been more changes or at least reactions to the events earlier in the season.

Backup games with the bot are thrown in almost randomly. The bot is in the net when we play the division rivals.

The backup has started 2 games this season out of 25. Once against Prague, once against Warsaw. Neither of those were good games to play the backup. I'm not sure if that was a mistake in the lines or an oversight, but yes that was not the right thing to do. However; I'm not sure I would say that "backup games with the bot are thrown in almost randomly" implying that we are just chucking multiple bot games willy-nilly is an accurate take. 

Six players have their contracts running out after this season.

Not going to discuss contracts, as I have never been involved in offering/negotiating them as AGM. Regardless, there is a lot of time left in the season to figure out contracts.

The press conference questions are not done until someone says something about it. Then when they do get posted, the questions are shit.

This one is on me; obviously it's part of my role as AGM to post regular press conferences. Over the last 4 months, I have posted 9 press conferences; just over half of what you would expect for one PC a week (about 17 weeks). I'm obviously not infallible, but that isn't completely terrible either. And more to the point, you are encouraged to take initiative and come up with press conferences yourself; after all, providing team PC's technically isn't a requirement; its an optional task for TPE. In fact, you filled in for me in a recent week, a fact which I thanked you for.

And the way you respond, apparently, is to then follow that up with "the questions are shit"? First of all, shit by what metric? Please, inform me how much you care about the quality of the VHL's press conferences. Do you think they aren't focused enough on league events? Poorly written? Are they not in character enough to suit your kind of preferred VHL role play? Any of those could be fair points, but you refuse to make them in your post. Instead we get your lovely turn of phrase: "the questions are shit." At least come to the table with a legitimate issue. 

Captaincy thread is not done. 

Valid. We have had internal talks about it, but haven't reached a conclusion; something that should have been done already. 

I have maybe asked this before, but I'm going to ask it again: how do you get fired as a GM?

Don't worry, you'll be free of me at least soon enough. 

Because you really care about the health of other team's cap, rather than just trying to come up with more issues that are, in your mind, being caused by us? In reality this is a nonissue; players always sign for minimum, there either will be space or there won't be. Players are encouraged to find whatever teams have space in free agency, and the league officials with raise cap if necessary. 

For some reason, I'm under the impression that there is a lot of competition for GM jobs in VHL, is that still true? I have to think it can't be true. There is no way the level of GMing I see in Helsinki is fine for a VHL team if there is real competition.  

If you don't think there is a lot of competition, why not apply? If you don't like how a team is being run, why not be a GM yourself? Or do you only want to acknowledge problems without coming up with solutions? 

But who am I to say anything? I'm just a player. Perhaps there is a plan in place that is being followed. Perhaps the management knows the roster and users well enough to say that press conferences are not needed, or that questions can be whatever, the players will find other ways to earn TPE. Perhaps captaincy threads are things of the past and not needed. Perhaps lines are good enough as they are at the beginning of the season, the team is just not good enough, and others are better. Perhaps it does not matter when you throw the backup in. There is plenty of time for contract talks after the season.

You aren't just a player. You were one of my players. That means you are the perfect person to say something when you see an issue. If you notice a problem, try to be a part of the solution. I really appreciated you voicing your concerns about the lack of PC questions initially, though your phrasing of calling us "lazy fucks" could have been a bit more constructive.

I have never been unapproachable; I welcome players under me and anyone in the VHL to reach out with concerns, which is something I pride myself on. Ask anyone who works with me at VSN, or a number of players I have helped manage, and while there may be some issues that people have had with me, being unapproachable isn't one of them. So, what's the reason for bringing everything up in such a manner? 

At the end of the day, toxic is as toxic does. You bring things up like this because you are an antagonistic person. You either enjoy making people's days worse, or you just have a lot of anger in your life that you are using the VHL as an outlet. I wouldn't recommend it, therapy is usually a better place for that. 

You have a lot of valid points. I know that I'm not the only GM in this team, so I'm speaking specifically from my perspective here, but I needed to be better. The VHL deserves users who are more dedicated to management than I have been, so jRuutu, you are going to achieve your goal. Effective immediately, I'm resigning from my post as Helsinki AGM. I'm tired of dealing with you, being demeaned and berated by you, and to be quite honest, I'm just tired of being involved in management as I have for the better part of two and a half years. I had a good run, and I apologize to my team and fellow manager in @Rayzor_7 that I'm dropping like this, but you did one thing right, and that is make me realize that it's time for me to step down. 

I sincerely hope that Helsinki can turn this season around, because we do have the talent. There are a lot of good members in this squad who I care about, and want to succeed. Good luck Titans 💙

8 minutes ago, thadthrasher said:

I did not expect this...

To be clear, I was planning on stepping down sometime in the next couple of seasons; this wasn't completely a spur of the moment decision. 

11 hours ago, Mr_Hatter said:

@jRuutu feel free to ping me next time you want to talk shit. 

If you have a problem with how things are being run, there are productive ways about raising concerns that don't insult and demean people. I personally welcome critique, and I understand there are legitimate criticisms about how things have been going recently. However, a few points to make about your call outs, just to clarify a few things for you, to provide some nuance in your understanding. 

Probably somewhat valid; we haven't been completely on top of every single event in the sim, and I am sure there are teams with more active GMs. Of course, people do have lives outside of the VHL that require some amount of commitment, but you are right that we haven't been as active as possible.

Sometimes there aren't significant tweaks to be made. Sometimes you have to let it roll. That being said, its fair to say there should have been more changes or at least reactions to the events earlier in the season.

The backup has started 2 games this season out of 25. Once against Prague, once against Warsaw. Neither of those were good games to play the backup. I'm not sure if that was a mistake in the lines or an oversight, but yes that was not the right thing to do. However; I'm not sure I would say that "backup games with the bot are thrown in almost randomly" implying that we are just chucking multiple bot games willy-nilly is an accurate take. 

Not going to discuss contracts, as I have never been involved in offering/negotiating them as AGM. Regardless, there is a lot of time left in the season to figure out contracts.

This one is on me; obviously it's part of my role as AGM to post regular press conferences. Over the last 4 months, I have posted 9 press conferences; just over half of what you would expect for one PC a week (about 17 weeks). I'm obviously not infallible, but that isn't completely terrible either. And more to the point, you are encouraged to take initiative and come up with press conferences yourself; after all, providing team PC's technically isn't a requirement; its an optional task for TPE. In fact, you filled in for me in a recent week, a fact which I thanked you for.

And the way you respond, apparently, is to then follow that up with "the questions are shit"? First of all, shit by what metric? Please, inform me how much you care about the quality of the VHL's press conferences. Do you think they aren't focused enough on league events? Poorly written? Are they not in character enough to suit your kind of preferred VHL role play? Any of those could be fair points, but you refuse to make them in your post. Instead we get your lovely turn of phrase: "the questions are shit." At least come to the table with a legitimate issue. 

Valid. We have had internal talks about it, but haven't reached a conclusion; something that should have been done already. 

Don't worry, you'll be free of me at least soon enough. 

Because you really care about the health of other team's cap, rather than just trying to come up with more issues that are, in your mind, being caused by us? In reality this is a nonissue; players always sign for minimum, there either will be space or there won't be. Players are encouraged to find whatever teams have space in free agency, and the league officials with raise cap if necessary. 

If you don't think there is a lot of competition, why not apply? If you don't like how a team is being run, why not be a GM yourself? Or do you only want to acknowledge problems without coming up with solutions? 

You aren't just a player. You were one of my players. That means you are the perfect person to say something when you see an issue. If you notice a problem, try to be a part of the solution. I really appreciated you voicing your concerns about the lack of PC questions initially, though your phrasing of calling us "lazy fucks" could have been a bit more constructive.

I have never been unapproachable; I welcome players under me and anyone in the VHL to reach out with concerns, which is something I pride myself on. Ask anyone who works with me at VSN, or a number of players I have helped manage, and while there may be some issues that people have had with me, being unapproachable isn't one of them. So, what's the reason for bringing everything up in such a manner? 

At the end of the day, toxic is as toxic does. You bring things up like this because you are an antagonistic person. You either enjoy making people's days worse, or you just have a lot of anger in your life that you are using the VHL as an outlet. I wouldn't recommend it, therapy is usually a better place for that. 

You have a lot of valid points. I know that I'm not the only GM in this team, so I'm speaking specifically from my perspective here, but I needed to be better. The VHL deserves users who are more dedicated to management than I have been, so jRuutu, you are going to achieve your goal. Effective immediately, I'm resigning from my post as Helsinki AGM. I'm tired of dealing with you, being demeaned and berated by you, and to be quite honest, I'm just tired of being involved in management as I have for the better part of two and a half years. I had a good run, and I apologize to my team and fellow manager in @Rayzor_7 that I'm dropping like this, but you did one thing right, and that is make me realize that it's time for me to step down. 

I sincerely hope that Helsinki can turn this season around, because we do have the talent. There are a lot of good members in this squad who I care about, and want to succeed. Good luck Titans 💙

I don't ping people, that is not my style. 

Speaking of insults, May 17 2021, do you know what thay day is? That is the day when I created my current player. Almost a full year I have been coming here week after week to earn TPE at fair rate. You think I'm going to sit here and watch you two surf around? 

You don't have the time to be super active, that is fine. A lot can be credited to that, but I don't know why you are so shocked or annoyed that I start to talk shit if you are not doing your job? If it was known before the season that European division is going to be tight, why do you make these mistakes? The bot was in net against Warsaw again. We are now 6 points from the playoff spot, Warsaw has also played 1 game less. Plenty of hockey left, but if it will be tight at the end, those three games alone will be a huge ''what if'', a ''what if'' that could easily been avoided.  The same can probably be said about contracts in the future.

Press conferences are not a requirement, but that is not the point, it shows you two are not doing as much as you could. It's not a nice look and further highlights the fact that you two just surf around.  What comes to the questions, if you spent even 3 minutes thinking about those questions - I will be amazed. They look like questions that are there just to be there. You came in, remembered that someone said something about press conferences, you quickly write whatever comes to your mind, then you post the link: ''here is some questions for you''. It took you at most 5 minutes, yet you were not even willing to do that 5 minutes every week.

Because you are more than likely going towards situation where you either don't have the cap to sign me or you are forced to trade me to some bottom team without the potential Helsinki has. You are not prepared. That is the point.

Oh I'm sorry, I did not realize it was too much to ask for you two to put fair effort in making Helsinki win as many games as possible and to make earning TPE as easy as possible for the players.

I earn TPE, I improve my player. That is all I need to do. You say I'm one of your players - do more then. I was not even sure you are the AGM anymore when I joined the Titans, you were nowhere to be seen. I'm not a huge discord LR person either, so I get it, but you were not doing the other parts of the job either.  I did part of your job for three weeks without you even noticing it. 

You are as approachable as everyone else. You have a VHL account and a Discord account.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will keep it mind. 

Thank you for resigning.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:47 AM, jRuutu said:

Then when they do get posted, the questions are shit

Press conferences don't have to be done by AGMs. Plus it can be difficult to get questions when you have to make questions every week.

14 minutes ago, nurx said:

Press conferences don't have to be done by AGMs. Plus it can be difficult to get questions when you have to make questions every week.

Especially when you've been doing them as an AGM for 15 seasons like Hatter had been lol

Just now, Rayzor_7 said:

Especially when you've been doing them as an AGM for 15 seasons like Hatter had been lol

I have trouble making them now after 2 seasons...

Here is an idea, let's not all do our jobs? Let the players run the clubs and league, that way there is less pressure on those with a job to do anything, AND players will feel like their efforts are appreciated as they do things.

30 minutes ago, jhatty8 said:

@jRuutu why do you feel the need to write and defend a lengthy hitpiece when a DM could solve most of these issues?

Oh I'm sorry, I did not realize I'm not on the internet.

15 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

Here is an idea, let's not all do our jobs?

I don't understand why you were so concerned about the pressers though. In reality they are such a small part of TPE earning and it isn't even a requirement for AGMs to do the presser. It has just become an expectation because a lot of them do it. Management doesn't have to do pressers. I like the idea of players doing them way more tbh it allows players to interact even more.

31 minutes ago, nurx said:

I don't understand why you were so concerned about the pressers though. In reality they are such a small part of TPE earning and it isn't even a requirement for AGMs to do the presser. It has just become an expectation because a lot of them do it. Management doesn't have to do pressers. I like the idea of players doing them way more tbh it allows players to interact even more.

I agree, the amount of line work, contract talks, captain threads, etc managerial duties on the managements plate - adding something like press conferences is just too much and thing of the past.

1 hour ago, jRuutu said:

I agree, the amount of line work, contract talks, captain threads, etc managerial duties on the managements plate - adding something like press conferences is just too much and thing of the past.

Over pressers??? You understand that we have real lives. Plus Hatter does a lot for VSN. If your number one concern is that management needs to do pressers to convenience you, I fear for how you react in life. I understand that it is part of the job under current expectations, but a lot of us have other things we do in this community that might be a bit more important than pressers.