Reflecting with Bana, #1

Banackock

It's been a long time on the Victory Hockey League and while it feels longer than it probably is, my bones still ache from time to time and I do think I'm one of the more older guys still on here based off league average. Of course nothing comparing to the likes of @Beketov or anyone like that! However, it has been a long time and for about half the leagues life I think! On top of that, I've been the Seattle Bears GM for 35 seasons and counting and a lot of memories have come from that (probably most of my memories). I've been very committed to the role over the years and knowing my time is closer than it is far (and I need to write anything to get it over with), I figured I'd do some reflecting to cherish the fun moments and members I've come across over the triple and a half VHL decades as the Seattle Bears General Manager. 

#1 - The First Cup Win in S68

The Seattle Bears team just woke up from a smaller rebuild and were fresh off a massive draft. The S67 draft was thicker than peanut butter and the Bears capitalized on getting good picks and very excellent scouting/drafting for the most part. Imagine if that one dude with the wrestler profile picture had turned out too... he was promising but never kept his promise. The Bears had a good enough season in S68 to make it the finals and we managed to go all the way. The Bears found themselves tied 2-2 in the first round against the Toronto Legion. I remember telling the Bears we'd be making some minor tweaks on lines. Some GM's wouldn't do that. You're getting good results. Things were relatively split and even, but that was the problem for me. Odds would point we'd win, but I wasn't satisfied with taking the chance on a stronger maybe. We made changes and ended up winning the next 10 games. We beat Toronto 4-2, Calgary 4-0 and ended up sweeping the Malmo Nighthawks 4-0 which surprised a bunch of people as well. Looking back in the locker room on ont he forum and all of that, things exploded. We went absolutely bonkers and it was almost unlike anything I've ever experienced on here before... the championships after were very crazy too... we had a good group of people in @Esso2264 YVONNE, @DoktorFunk, @Rayzor_7 @Acydburn @HenrikZoiderberg  @ShawnGlade @FrostBeard@Smarch and two of my players - and a couple of other guys that didn't chat as much! Either way, it was an amazingly put together team and a very fun time for us!

Winning cups with Seattle has been a ton of fun and in saying that, we've had our share of fun over the last while. However, winning hasn't been absolutely everything in this role and other things and moments have been extremely special too. I've already hit word count this week (thank you, VHL gods), but actually found this fun to reflect on and do scientific research on. TUNE in next week (or don't), to see what else I be reflecting on. Sorry, Around the League with Bana, but we curbing you for a tiny bit. Good thing I got a lot of ideas on the good though. Been a struggle last few months.

Enjoy the next week VHL. Stay safe. Stay happy!