Career Long GM's

STZ

Career Long GM's - Theme Week

For theme week are to be focused on GM's. I've been lucky to have had a number of really good GM' both in the VHL and the VHLM. I'll be focusing on three GM's specifically which I spent my entire career with in the VHL level; with Ethan Osborne, Benny Graves, and Hard Markinson. I did spend my entire career with Jake Wylde and Ike Arkander with one GM, but they were my GM Players. Also Rhett DeGrath and Unassisted I got passed around a bit, quick shoutouts to @Advantage@kesler @eaglesfan0366 who GM'd those HOF players. Anyways, I want to focus on the three players I had that spent their entire career with one GM, as I think it's a testament to them as GM's.

Mitch Higgins @Higgins - Helsinki Titans - Ethan Osborne

This was my first player. I had created after the season began, and my player was ranked behind two recreates that were both highly touted. I remember being picked up by @CoachReilly for the Saskatoon Wild, and I fell in love with this place. I hadn't talked to Higgy before the draft much. We had a standard pre-draft interview, but I didn't really think I had a shot at going first overall. I still remember that draft, as I was at my old job, so I couldn't watch the draft live (I say live but it was basically just refreshing a draft discussion thread). I remember checking in randomly and seeing my player's name go off the board first overall. It was the first First Gen player to go in the top pick since the beginning era of the league. It was truly special, and my time in Helsinki was super fun. Higgins let me in on all the future plans for the team and usually gave me some idea of trade targets etc. so I could really see him work his magic. I look back fondly of those times - we fell short so many times and had such a rough go, and then finally won a Cup (right before the hack so no one really got to celebrate it lol). Had some really fun teammates and some forum wars with that team, but the true reason Helsinki was so much fun, and really my first player was because of Higgins. He was on another level at that time, and really is one of the most important members for establishing this place in the S30's. After Osborne retired Higgins handed the team over to me, but I've always chased that rush I had with my first player - and I credit a lot of that to having a really great GM.

Eno Rama @Enorama - DC Dragons - Benny Graves

After the grueling days of the VHL becoming completely dead, I took an extended break. At first I joined because Higgins had said lets recreate at S69 for the meme. He went inactive, and I ended up getting right back into this place. I had a really great GM in the VHLM with @BladeMaiden and then was drafted to an expansion team by Eno in DC. I came back to this league and there were a lot of brand new faces. The portal was completely new, there were a lot more teams, and then there was discord - which was completely new to me. On top of that I felt like an old fucker who was pretty out of touch. I was kind of excited to rejoin the league and have the challenge of proving myself again. Although I had a bunch of HOF players, most of the active members weren't around for when I was really in my prime. So I decided to give the VHL a fair shot once again, and I really can't say enough about my time in DC. Eno is a really solid dude and a great GM. It felt really disappointing when we weren't able to bring a cup to DC, but to see him get shitty sim luck even through another 8 seasons, it's just too bad. We fell out of touch after Graves retired, but I remember when recreating thinking that DC was to top place I wanted to return to. Eno is a helluva GM who puts the team first. The whole league felt revitalized when I returned but Eno really showed me the support and helped me get reacquainted with the community. I often wonder if I would have just fizzled out on a different team had Benny not went second overall to the Dragons.

Euron Leonidas @Spartan - Moscow Menace - Hard Markinson

I can't say enough good things about Spartan. He's been such an incredible GM, and being able to be close to his strat ideas and roster building talks as his AGM, has really brought that to light. Every season he does something to shake the roster up and keep us competitive. The roster is always optimized to it's full potential. He's so involved with the league, and when you work alongside him, you really appreciate how important he is around here. He's an amazing dude.. Great member and one of the best GM's there's ever been. The LR is great place to hang out, and he really does go above and beyond for every player that comes through. For Moscow players he literally dedicates a separate channel to each player to have a one on one space where management and player can discuss everything and anything. Once again, I'm in a position where my player is about to retire after 8 seasons, and I really don't want to leave Moscow. When you've been around for this many seasons, and have had as many players as I have, you really remember and cherish the runs you have that are special. The championship runs I've had in Moscow, although so far have been unsuccessful have really been the most fun I've had in the league. When I returned to the league, it felt like I was trying to prove something, I never really though I'd enjoy the league even more than I did in the S30 era. GM's don't last forever, most burn out in six seasons or so. I'm not sure if Spartan will always be a GM or if he will take on a bigger role with the league. I do feel lucky to have been drafted by him and been along for the ride with 8 seasons with Markinson.

In my final season with Markinson, I've been reflecting a lot with this player. I'm sort of in a place where I've kind of done everything I can. I've made multiple HOF Players in every position. I want to have a player in the league to have some sort of invested interest, but I just don't know if I can create without being a max-earner - and I don't know if I can commit that much time once again. I do know that we have a lot of great GM's in this league, and I there's a few of the current GM's that I could see myself having a full 8 season career with.

1188 Words

Claim Week Ending Oct 2 - Theme Week

Claim Week Ending Oct 9