New Job Suggestion

AJW

Why don't we have a rookie mentor team? I feel like a lot of other leagues have a team of members with league experience who teach new players how everything works right when they join. VHLM GMs and their AGMs I guess do cover this job, but maybe if we had a team of people strictly dedicated to helping new members it would help retention. 

Just now, jacobcarson877 said:

I would like to think this is also recruitment team's job? I know they often pop by the Create a Player threads at least.

But I mean a team that all season work with the rookies and make sure they're doing well and updated

12 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I would like to think this is also recruitment team's job? I know they often pop by the Create a Player threads at least.

Pretty sure recruitment is strictly the "get people to the site" people, and the rest is for VHLM GMs 

22 minutes ago, AJW said:

But I mean a team that all season work with the rookies and make sure they're doing well and updated

We have had this discussion with M GMs before as it was a BoG topic, and the general consensus was that teams could appoint their own informal mentors if they'd like. We don't quite have the league-wide resources or even agreement within the BoG of what the program would like like considering how many toes it would step on - ex. Recruitment, VHLM GM, JST.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

We have had this discussion with M GMs before as it was a BoG topic, and the general consensus was that teams could appoint their own informal mentors if they'd like. We don't quite have the league-wide resources or even agreement within the BoG of what the program would like like considering how many toes it would step on - ex. Recruitment, VHLM GM, JST.

Basically this, and I'll add to it--I'm not saying that it wouldn't help to have people specifically dedicated to retention, but if a VHLM GM isn't already doing exactly what you're describing for their players, that GM isn't doing their job. I like to think our GMs do pretty solid work where that's concerned, which I'd think would make a separate retention crew unnecessary.

Also, as a general message to anyone at all--if you really believe in helping out new people...just go out and do it! You don't need an official title for that. Go comment on someone's posts, keep an eye out for questions, and reach out when you feel like it. Sometimes I feel like people here think a job is also a green light to get involved, and in a lot of cases you don't even need one to have a big impact.

7 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Basically this, and I'll add to it--I'm not saying that it wouldn't help to have people specifically dedicated to retention, but if a VHLM GM isn't already doing exactly what you're describing for their players, that GM isn't doing their job. I like to think our GMs do pretty solid work where that's concerned, which I'd think would make a separate retention crew unnecessary.

Also, as a general message to anyone at all--if you really believe in helping out new people...just go out and do it! You don't need an official title for that. Go comment on someone's posts, keep an eye out for questions, and reach out when you feel like it. Sometimes I feel like people here think a job is also a green light to get involved, and in a lot of cases you don't even need one to have a big impact.

Finally someone said it

5 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

What might be an interesting option would be allowing M GMs to allocate tpe from their own pay to hire an AGM or Mentor to help assist with new members. 

I don’t think we can split our TPE but I do really like that idea

15 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

What might be an interesting option would be allowing M GMs to allocate tpe from their own pay to hire an AGM or Mentor to help assist with new members. 

The issue with job pay splitting has always been the ability to abuse the system and feed TPE to friends or players on the team. When we still have plenty of candidates willing to do the M GM job after increasing the pay and removing some of the time sink components in regards to waivers, there's no reason that we should be paying other people to do the M GM's job. I still think that an AGM holds their role for the learning experience and to show their ability to hold a GM position in the future. If people feel like volunteering a little bit of time to serve as a teams unofficial mentor/guide, they're still free to do that.

It was said earlier that if the VHLM GM aren't doing mentoring they shouldn't have their job.  I fully agree with this and was lucky myself to have a great GM/AGM duo in Frank and Jacob when I entered the league. My question is, do we keep any sort of statistics, evaluation of GM at any level (I fully agree with the implication that the various GM's really do have different jobs, and that is why they are paid differently and should be evaluated differently)

But do the various commissioners look at multi year trends for the GM, such as stats on first Gen retention, trade evaluations, free agent signing evaluations, team performance records (average team placement by the year).  Do the commissioners do exit interviews with a sampling of players to get an experiential evaluation of how a GM helped/hindered a player.

If the discussion is that these are jobs and people are being paid (through TPE) for their job, then a level of job evaluation shouldn't be out of the question.

Noting that GM should be told and know how they are being evaluated before being held to any standard.

Edited by JCarson

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

The issue with job pay splitting has always been the ability to abuse the system and feed TPE to friends or players on the team. When we still have plenty of candidates willing to do the M GM job after increasing the pay and removing some of the time sink components in regards to waivers, there's no reason that we should be paying other people to do the M GM's job. I still think that an AGM holds their role for the learning experience and to show their ability to hold a GM position in the future. If people feel like volunteering a little bit of time to serve as a teams unofficial mentor/guide, they're still free to do that.

I do agree with you. A GM should come into an M job knowing what the expectations are. As long as we have applicants ready to fill future M GM positions then there is really no need for change. 

7 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

I do agree with you. A GM should come into an M job knowing what the expectations are. As long as we have applicants ready to fill future M GM positions then there is really no need for change. 

One of my stretch goals as M Commissioner is to make the M GM's lives easier, which we've tried to do by increasing their pay and changing up the waiver system. We're still working on ways to improve it to help reduce burnout and maybe even make it more of an appealing role for veteran members who would just like to help new members without the stress of forum pitches. We have seen a bit of renewed interest from some veterans in regards to positions in the future, so as long as we do continue to have interest, I doubt we even consider any avenue involving mentors/paid assistants.

8 minutes ago, Spartan said:

One of my stretch goals as M Commissioner is to make the M GM's lives easier, which we've tried to do by increasing their pay and changing up the waiver system. We're still working on ways to improve it to help reduce burnout and maybe even make it more of an appealing role for veteran members who would just like to help new members without the stress of forum pitches. We have seen a bit of renewed interest from some veterans in regards to positions in the future, so as long as we do continue to have interest, I doubt we even consider any avenue involving mentors/paid assistants.

RECYCYLING!!!! :P Honestly, having veteran members showing interest again is great to hear. It’s also nice to hear some of the ideas you guys are talking about behind the scenes. The M has made some great changes since you two have taken over. 

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, BOOM said:

I see a direct correlation between the removal of LR Boomshacks and retention issues.

Just saying.

One could also say that discord locker rooms did it.

Sadly correlation =/= causation though.