Is it time for the Pride flag on the Discord logo to be removed?

jRuutu

12 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

Do you think that there are a large number of people who fly/hang their country's flag as a joke to mock the country? Is there a difference? People who choose to show the flag are likely not doing it to mock, mostly because anybody who would choose to mock that probably wouldn't want to be ever thought of as a supporter.

If 7 colours get you riled up enough to write about it, you should probably look inward and ask why it bothers you so much. Inclusivity is never a bad thing.

Normally those flags are territorial, i.e. hoisted in the country they represent. There are even laws in place which regulates which flags can be raised as well as when and how. Having said that, National flags to me are different from 'ideological' (for the lack of a better word) flags (even though they can intersect sometimes). 

Other times if you are an expat for example and raise your flag in a foreign country, everyone under this flag identifies with same (but not the neighbours). If the VHL (which I am part of) flies the LGBTQIA+++ flag, which I do not identify with (but nonetheless accept other peoples preferences), it can create a disconnect with the community you consider yourself a part of.

9 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

If you see a restaurant or a shop with a sign 'Swiss welcome', and you happen to be not Swiss, do you feel welcomed?

This would only indicate to me that the other shops must not like the Swiss and this one shop has to make it known that the Swiss can come in without fear.  If you feel unwelcomed because someone else was, you have acknowledgement issues.  Single child or middle achiever? The best and the worst get attention and you were neither?

27 minutes ago, Triller said:

This would only indicate to me that the other shops must not like the Swiss and this one shop has to make it known that the Swiss can come in without fear.  If you feel unwelcomed because someone else was, you have acknowledgement issues.  Single child or middle achiever? The best and the worst get attention and you were neither?

I am neither, it just to me gives the wrong message. If everyone is welcome, why point out a specific demographic? Isn't it more inclusive to just do not say/advertise anything and just treat everyone the same (within reason obviously)? In my opinion a default state does not need to be advertised. Inclusivity is the default state of the VHL and hence does not need to be advertised. 

After all, you do not have a sign next to a lake which states that same contains liquid water (well in the US you might do that ;))

Or another example: If a parking spot is labeled with the wheelchair sign, is someone ablebodied free to park their without consequences? Or are able bodied people just suffering from 'acknowledgement issues' as well, for the feeling to not be welcome at such a parking spot?

Edited by Daniel Janser

2 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I am neither, it just to me gives the wrong message. If everyone is welcome, why point out a specific demographic? Isn't it more inclusive to just do not say/advertise anything and just treat everyone the same (within reason obviously)? In my opinion a default state does not need to be advertised. Inclusivity is the default state of the VHL and hence does not need to be advertised. 

After all, you do not have a sign next to a lake which states that same contains liquid water (well in the US you might do that ;))

Some people are not welcomed everywhere and assuming the VHL's default state is inclusive would mean that this whole thread shouldn't exist and yet, here we are.  It seems the VHL shows it is inclusive DESPITE a few of its members (not saying you specifically) being a little sensitive about the subject.

I think the weirdest part about all of this is that anyone cares at all.  Trying to formulate a reason as to why it bothers you or why it is fine is just such a waste of time.  My gripe was that jrutuu already whined about this and that they need to be more creative.  This ain't worth 1 tpe.

36 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

If everyone is welcome, why point out a specific demographic?

Because white men are always assumed to be allowed in, because society is built around them. Until the world can prove its ready to implicitly allow everyone, the rest of the crowd deserves an explicit invitation.

40 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

If a parking spot is labeled with the wheelchair sign, is someone ablebodied free to park their without consequences?

No, but the consequences are only there to convince people to give a flying fruitcake about the needs of others. That's why we have laws against murdering people too. But we never really needed no-murder zones because society implicitly understands that.  Until marginalized communities (including those with handicaps) are provided the rights they need without explicit statement, we need to continue the explicit statement.

42 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Or are able bodied people just suffering from 'acknowledgement issues' as well, for the feeling to not be welcome at such a parking spot?

Yes. If no handicap spots are available, able-bodied people will take the most accessible spots. This is exactly why we need explicit support for marginalized communities.

• v.2 locked this topic
  • Spartan unlocked this topic