Is it time for the Pride flag on the Discord logo to be removed?

jRuutu

10 hours ago, AJW said:

A majority of our community supports pride and if someone doesn’t want to be in that kind of community then they don’t have to join. I’d rather recruit people who accept all. I love our community and changing a discord logo is the least of my worries.

There's a difference between supporting something and pushing it in people's faces. One is alright and the other is not needed.

Edited by Da Trifecta

3 hours ago, Da Trifecta said:

So because someone don't have a pride flag they aren't "respectful homies" at all?

I never said I assumed someone’s a bigot because they don’t have every marginalized community represented as part of their decor.

I don’t have any flags or decorations that would imply my allyship with those communities either. 

For better or for worse I tend to see humanity in a far better light than it is, especially for marginalized communities. So a nice little gesture is a bit of a beacon of hope for me.

And at the end of the day hockey has not historically been for everyone, nor would I come close to suggesting it is today, so yes, as long as that’s still true I think we still need to be open and vocal about or support of all people joining the league. 

I’ll only assume you’re a bigot if you’re actions suggest it, but not everyone has that privilege.

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Da Trifecta said:

There's a difference between supporting something and pushing it in people's faces. One is alright and the other is not needed.

I literally look at that logo so little that I never noticed it was still pride coloured. I know where the VHL discord button is, I click on it. The logo is rather irrelevant. I hardly think that’s pushing anything in anyone’s face.

The fact that a simple logo made this buzz prove us that it is not useless and there is still progress to do in 2023. The kind of thing you keep untill people don’t get triggered anymore.

54 minutes ago, Dom said:

The fact that a simple logo made this buzz prove us that it is not useless and there is still progress to do in 2023. The kind of thing you keep untill people don’t get triggered anymore.

Some of us just want cup winner server colors again tbh. Outside of the portal banner in the HOF tab, there's no clear indication anywhere else on the forum or discord as to who won championships in the league. We don't do forum banners anymore, and we stopped doing server logo colors as well for the LGBTQ logo.

Also your second sentence is pretty odd, because why would you ever change it if no one asks for it? I don't think the whole "in your face" argument that this thing started with has any merit, but do you randomly decide to take down the logo for something else in a year or two if no one says anything?

• Commissioner
29 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Some of us just want cup winner server colors again tbh.

To be fair the mods kinda always said they’d keep doing it so long as people kept making them and people stopped making them.

I don’t think it was ever intentionally stopped really.

Just now, Beketov said:

To be fair the mods kinda always said they’d keep doing it so long as people kept making them and people stopped making them.

I feel like every time Fong had asked for it in the past, someone stepped up to make it. Don't think someone making the logos is an issue with how many graphics folks we have.

I think one of the main reasons that I heard from one of the mods/old blues (Maybe quik?) was that people complained if Pride month overlapped with some team's time to have their colors, so they stopped changing it altogether. If no team's colors got cut off, then no one could complain about having less time.

• Commissioner
37 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I feel like every time Fong had asked for it in the past, someone stepped up to make it. Don't think someone making the logos is an issue with how many graphics folks we have.

I think one of the main reasons that I heard from one of the mods/old blues (Maybe quik?) was that people complained if Pride month overlapped with some team's time to have their colors, so they stopped changing it altogether. If no team's colors got cut off, then no one could complain about having less time.

That is also true. Also some colours just look terrible haha

I for one would like the logo color to be constantly changing, as it really helps breathe life into the server. Holidays? Holiday themed logo. VHL champion? VHL champion themed logo. WJC winners? WJC winner themed logo. etc. etc. etc. Have some fun with it. Stagnation is not a good look and while I have no quarrel with the pride-themed logo, it's time for a fresh coat of paint.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:45 PM, jRuutu said:

A little bit like my neighbors who have the Pride flag hanging on their balcony. The flag is there every time I walk by the building, rain or shine. It has been there for months. As I walk by,  I often wonder do they leave the flag on the balcony to support the community, or as a joke to mock the community.

Do you think that there are a large number of people who fly/hang their country's flag as a joke to mock the country? Is there a difference? People who choose to show the flag are likely not doing it to mock, mostly because anybody who would choose to mock that probably wouldn't want to be ever thought of as a supporter.

If 7 colours get you riled up enough to write about it, you should probably look inward and ask why it bothers you so much. Inclusivity is never a bad thing.

• Commissioner
48 minutes ago, Grape said:

VHL champion? VHL champion themed logo. WJC winners? WJC winner themed logo. etc

Those would literally overlap so heavily that the VHL one would only be up for a week, the WJC would get even less time in every second season before the WC one comes in.

So is someone gonna make a new discord logo or are we just gonna keep replying to this thread? 😭 If I was good at graphics I’d do it but I’ll let someone with actual talent in that category take over 

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

Outside of the portal banner in the HOF tab, there's no clear indication anywhere else on the forum or discord as to who won championships in the league.

This is the only important part of this whole stupid thread.  If I can get someone to give me an image resolution that works for wherever it will be put, I can make a banner.  Not having it obvious as to who the current champions are needs to change.

15 minutes ago, AJW said:

I think in honor of rutuu this needs to be the new discord logo. Pretty top tier content I know, don't hype me up too much. @Triller Don't even have to bother making anything nicer I got you

koyFYnC.png

I mean, I have to at least 1-up you!

cA0AuXm.jpg

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Those would literally overlap so heavily that the VHL one would only be up for a week, the WJC would get even less time in every second season before the WC one comes in.

Yea I'm aware that doing that would not necessarily be possible. It's simply a suggestion and just an idea to keep the logo fresh and the community breathing. Doesn't need to be that extensive.

4 hours ago, Beketov said:

I made a purple one and sent it to Fong, he said that we don’t do it anymore…

• Commissioner
12 minutes ago, Alex said:

I made a purple one and sent it to Fong, he said that we don’t do it anymore…

Imma blame Fong on that one. What I saw earlier of the discussion was “if people made them we’d use them”

Okay my controversial take on this: Which colour of this LGBTQIA+++ rainbow stands for the 'straight' people? If there is none, would that not suggest (and I know this not to be true) that rainbow people are explicitly welcome, but we do not extend the same courtesy to 'straight' people?

Does it not signal exclusivity rather than inclusivity if (perceptibly) the red carpet is rolled out for one demographic, but the others are not mentioned?

If you see a restaurant or a shop with a sign 'Swiss welcome', and you happen to be not Swiss, do you feel welcomed?

I think our community is welcoming any kind of people from all walks of live, don't get me wrong, but we are with or without (virtue)-signalling it by a flag, which only represents a minority of people. 

EDIT: Having said that, I am with Beketov on 'blind-sided' take, i.e. I did not realize that the VHL logo was rainbow coloured, until Ruutu brought it up.

Edited by Daniel Janser