Is it time for the Pride flag on the Discord logo to be removed?

jRuutu

When you open Discord, and you want to visit the VHL server,  the very first thing you see is the rainbow-colored logo. It is there day after day, week after week, month after month. The gesture and decision to use a Pride-themed logo reminds me of buying a gift for someone. A good and meaningful gift would be something that has a little bit of you in it,  the gift could be almost anything. If you give just money or some latest electronic device, it's almost as if you gave no gift at all, you avoided giving something of yourself by giving money or some electronic thing.

When I see the Pride-themed logo I see the same thing. Using the Pride-themed logo is like giving money or some electronic device as a gift, you gave a "gift" because you were supposed to do so, but no real thought was put into it.  You did not put yourself on the line. Much like using the Pride-theme logo: it is there to be there.

Some people, somewhere, some time ago, decided that using the Pride-themed logo all year long is the way to go.  A little bit like my neighbors who have the Pride flag hanging on their balcony. The flag is there every time I walk by the building, rain or shine. It has been there for months. As I walk by,  I often wonder do they leave the flag on the balcony to support the community, or as a joke to mock the community. On one hand, you would think something like that is obviously meant as a gesture of support, but then again it's so easy to throw the flag out there that the gesture becomes almost meaningless, like giving money as a gift.  

In my opinion, the Pride-themed logo in Discord harms the league, for example the recruiting efforts are negatively affected. Most people of today are so used to different marketing tactics that they see through the Pride-themed logo in Discord. They see it and think to themselves: "Great, one of these places - copy of many others". They see the logo and think VHL is a place that is not doing well. The Pride-themed logo in Discord reeks of desperation. VHL does not want to be the odd one out. VHL does not want to give a meaningful gift in fear that the gift receiver is not going to like the gift, VHL does not want to give even a little bit of itself for the fear of being made fun of because of the gift. So instead VHL gives a shallow gift, VHL uses a Pride-theme logo in Discord.

What could VHL do to give even a little bit of itself? VHL could stop trying so hard to appear something they are not, and more importantly - something they can't be. VHL as a league should get back to basics of showing pride for the league itself. VHL should stop trying to save the world. It is crazy to think VHL as a league or people on the internet can truly care beyond the normal level for the well-being or representation of the people that roam around here. Nobody truly cares - how much more equal and level the playing field gets from that?

Is this how I find out that our logo is a pride logo?

I think that's pretty cool. And honestly I think it does embody the league's stance to welcome anyone and everyone to the league. And we don't have a profit motive so it isn't really the same thing as a company feigning interest in political issues to get more sales. If I walk down the street and see someone with a pride flag on their property I go "cool, nice to see some respectful homies around here" and move on.

Congrats on another post that will certainly attract some comments, but I don't know I feel like this is a bit of a reach.

it is kinda laughable how vhl and some locker rooms have the rainbow flag on all the time. it's the only discord server with the flag on at all times too.

but that is how the online world is nowadays, personally i've learned to ignore the colors.

40 minutes ago, Ahma said:

it is kinda laughable how vhl and some locker rooms have the rainbow flag on all the time. it's the only discord server with the flag on at all times too.

but that is how the online world is nowadays, personally i've learned to ignore the colors.

London's is Molly the cat.  A picture of a cat.  No biggie.  Like you with "ignoring the colors" though, I ignore all the anime.  The anime is definitely more in your face than the logos with a rainbow.

1 hour ago, jRuutu said:

When you open Discord, and you want to visit the VHL server,  the very first thing you see is the rainbow-colored logo. It is there day after day, week after week, month after month. The gesture and decision to use a Pride-themed logo reminds me of buying a gift for someone. A good and meaningful gift would be something that has a little bit of you in it,  the gift could be almost anything. If you give just money or some latest electronic device, it's almost as if you gave no gift at all, you avoided giving something of yourself by giving money or some electronic thing.

When I see the Pride-themed logo I see the same thing. Using the Pride-themed logo is like giving money or some electronic device as a gift, you gave a "gift" because you were supposed to do so, but no real thought was put into it.  You did not put yourself on the line. Much like using the Pride-theme logo: it is there to be there.

Some people, somewhere, some time ago, decided that using the Pride-themed logo all year long is the way to go.  A little bit like my neighbors who have the Pride flag hanging on their balcony. The flag is there every time I walk by the building, rain or shine. It has been there for months. As I walk by,  I often wonder do they leave the flag on the balcony to support the community, or as a joke to mock the community. On one hand, you would think something like that is obviously meant as a gesture of support, but then again it's so easy to throw the flag out there that the gesture becomes almost meaningless, like giving money as a gift.  

In my opinion, the Pride-themed logo in Discord harms the league, for example the recruiting efforts are negatively affected. Most people of today are so used to different marketing tactics that they see through the Pride-themed logo in Discord. They see it and think to themselves: "Great, one of these places - copy of many others". They see the logo and think VHL is a place that is not doing well. The Pride-themed logo in Discord reeks of desperation. VHL does not want to be the odd one out. VHL does not want to give a meaningful gift in fear that the gift receiver is not going to like the gift, VHL does not want to give even a little bit of itself for the fear of being made fun of because of the gift. So instead VHL gives a shallow gift, VHL uses a Pride-theme logo in Discord.

What could VHL do to give even a little bit of itself? VHL could stop trying so hard to appear something they are not, and more importantly - something they can't be. VHL as a league should get back to basics of showing pride for the league itself. VHL should stop trying to save the world. It is crazy to think VHL as a league or people on the internet can truly care beyond the normal level for the well-being or representation of the people that roam around here. Nobody truly cares - how much more equal and level the playing field gets from that?

You already complained about this last year.  

"Point tasks and sim engines are small factors. The biggest reason why the leagues are all the same is the people and users, they are the same everywhere. These users want to see words such as "inclusive" in rule books. These users want to see Pride-themed logos. Things are so "bad" that if you now ask why the Pride logo is still up - you can be sure either these users or their white knights will meet you with: "what is wrong with Pride?"

Meaningless gesture continues 7 weeks instead of 4, does it matter? It does not. Meaningless? You rallied for it, you wanted to see it, but you do not care at all that the logo is up 3 weeks after the Pride month is over? Meaningless"

If you need help finding topics to post about you can always reach out.  Rehashing your own problems hardly counts as content.

2 minutes ago, Triller said:

You already complained about this last year.  

"Point tasks and sim engines are small factors. The biggest reason why the leagues are all the same is the people and users, they are the same everywhere. These users want to see words such as "inclusive" in rule books. These users want to see Pride-themed logos. Things are so "bad" that if you now ask why the Pride logo is still up - you can be sure either these users or their white knights will meet you with: "what is wrong with Pride?"

Meaningless gesture continues 7 weeks instead of 4, does it matter? It does not. Meaningless? You rallied for it, you wanted to see it, but you do not care at all that the logo is up 3 weeks after the Pride month is over? Meaningless"

If you need help finding topics to post about you can always reach out.  Rehashing your own problems hardly counts as content.

Not every single is a classic.

See you next week.

11 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I think that's pretty cool. And honestly I think it does embody the league's stance to welcome anyone and everyone to the league. And we don't have a profit motive so it isn't really the same thing as a company feigning interest in political issues to get more sales. If I walk down the street and see someone with a pride flag on their property I go "cool, nice to see some respectful homies around here" and move on.

Congrats on another post that will certainly attract some comments, but I don't know I feel like this is a bit of a reach.

If you see two grocery stores, more or less the same items with more or less the same prices. They are located within walking distance from each other. One is just a regular store, anyone can walk in. The second is just a regular store, anyone can walk in, but this store has a big Pride flag in front of it.  In your mind you think: "These are good people", because they have the Pride flag in front of the store? You have not heard a spokeperson of the store giving a speech, no charitable events or actions, no donations to organizations: all you see is the Pride flag. 

When you see the Pride flag, you think: "This is enough. They must care, they have the flag up" ? (VHL absolutely has a profit motive, the league wants donations and new users into the league. )

Edited by jRuutu

7 hours ago, jRuutu said:

If you see two grocery stores, more or less the same items with more or less the same prices. They are located within walking distance from each other. One is just a regular store, anyone can walk in. The second is just a regular store, anyone can walk in, but this store has a big Pride flag in front of it.  In your mind you think: "These are good people", because they have the Pride flag in front of the store? You have not heard a spokeperson of the store giving a speech, no charitable events or actions, no donations to organizations: all you see is the Pride flag. 

When you see the Pride flag, you think: "This is enough. They must care, they have the flag up" ? (VHL absolutely has a profit motive, the league wants donations and new users into the league. )

I mean no, corporations only use politics to drive profits. I understand that aspect of it.

I just mean no one gets paid, there’s no one who benefits any more than the rest of us from the league doing well.

A majority of our community supports pride and if someone doesn’t want to be in that kind of community then they don’t have to join. I’d rather recruit people who accept all. I love our community and changing a discord logo is the least of my worries.

Edited by AJW

The logo doesn't matter for inclusivity. The people and personalities do. I don't necessarily care for the logo being one design or another and really don't mind which one is displayed for any given time, but I do care about the people and our attitudes here. I feel like that is much more important.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:00 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

So because someone don't have a pride flag they aren't "respectful homies" at all?