Official Movie Discussion

Devise

Yeah Nolan isn't perfect (still my favorite director) but that movie gets a lot of undeserved flack imo. There is of course issues with it (as with most things) but the strengths greatly outweigh the flaws. As a director he is really committed to making movies worthy of a theater experience, and that is certainly one of them. Seeing it in Imax was pretty great. 

Every person that I've told to watch it, or that had watched it already has loved it.

I almost feel like they should be taking torrent downloads into consideration. With something like Ascension where many people probably didn't know about it or don't have SyFy, they really can't say TOO much about the 1.8 Million views. Someone like myself never watched it live. I downloaded every episode the night it aired.

Hell, if a show like Z Nation can get a Season 2, then Ascension should at the very least get a Season 1. Z Nation is a joke. It's a show to watch because it's so horribly stupid and cliche in what happens. They even have an army dude falling from a roof shooting upwards at a zombie that falls after him.

So yea - Ascension didn't get picked up. I'm really sad about that. It would have been terrific.

Also, just saw American Beauty for the first time. Very very well done movie 9/10 over here - or if we can give decimal places then 8.8/10.

Saw Interstellar last night. It was a phenomenal spectacle. Really sad I missed it in theatres. Best movie I've seen in a long time. The acting was brilliant, the storyline was intellectually stimulating and the theoretical parts intriguing, the cinematography was great (can totally see how Nolan was influenced by Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Just soooo enjoyable. 

movies-interstellar.jpeg?w=560

9.7/10

Edited by Phil

Apparently Tron 3 is being filmed in Vancouver this Fall. Pretty damn happy about that, I loved Legacy.

Yeah, that's amazing news. I really loved Legacy as well. I hope they can get Daft Punk for the score in this next one as well. I'm surprised it's taken so long for them to get something together.

So yea - Ascension didn't get picked up. I'm really sad about that. It would have been terrific.

Also, just saw American Beauty for the first time. Very very well done movie 9/10 over here - or if we can give decimal places then 8.8/10.

That really blows. I loved Ascension. I recommended it to a bunch of people and they all loved it as well.

I wonder what led them to think people didn't want more? Considering other shows that get renewed like Z Nation on the same network.

Saw Fast & Furious 7 last night. I need to re-watch it because I was incredibly tired and nodded off a couple of times, and the sound was so loud that the screen was shaking and it was incredibly difficult to focus on the action at points. I did enjoy the film, but what I wanted to talk about was the ending tribute to Paul Walker. I am going to go into details, so if you don't want it spoiled: STOP READING.

It was just... incredibly well done. The scene starts off with the characters all together, sure, but it's quickly apparent that while they may be "in character", what we're seeing on screen is Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris et al mourning the loss of their friend.

Vin's final monologue works within the context of the movie, but it is completely breaking through the fourth wall. He is talking to the audience and to Paul. I think what got me choked up most is that it sort of mirrored reality. Vin and the rest of the cast obviously didn't get the opportunity to say goodbye, and Vin/Dom leaves the beach without saying goodbye to Paul/Brian. He stops at an intersection and is just thinking about it all... and then Paul/Brian rolls up in what I understand was Paul's white Toyota Supra and says, "Hey, thought you could leave without saying goodbye?"

Everyone knew at that point this wasn't just about retiring the character. This was a chance to Vin to say goodbye. The two of them ride off side by side while clips from all the movies play, and Vin continues his monologue. When they come to a fork in the road, they split. Paul riding off into the sunset, and Vin continuing on the road. It's truly one of the most sincere, heartfelt moments I've ever seen in a movie.

To everyone involved in the making of Furious 7: You did it.

Christoph Waltz claims his character in Specture isn't Blofeld, but he didn't have to audition because they already had him in mind? The role was "tweaked" for him?

COME ON.

WE ALL KNOW IT'S BLOFELD.

Between this and the Marvel stuff, Disney is literally just printing money.

Oh and Frozen.

Their stock value went up $2 billion USD thanks to the latest teaser alone. When the movie releases it's going to be insane.

Kid's entertainment is the next big thing (or already is). A youtube channels that only opens toys generate like 10 millions dollars yearly. 

Edited by boubabi

Kid's entertainment is the next big thing (or already is). A youtube channels that only opens toys generate like 10 millions dollars yearly. 

I wouldn't consider Star Wars and Marvel "kids entertainment". They appeal to kids in a massive way, yes, but they appeal to adults as well. That's why Disney has so many massive hits; they make things that appeal to everyone rather than a specific audience.

I'm going to see it but fuck the new Star Wars. Seriously, Tatooine? AGAIN? That fucking boring bullshit desert planet should be blown to hell. LITERALLY the most boring planet in the entire SW universe and nearly every fucking movie keeps going there. STOP GOING THERE. IT ISN'T INTERESTING! IT WAS BARELY INTERESTING ONCE! WHY DO THEY KEEP GOING THERE!

RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE

I have a strong feeling that even after these new set of movies, the animated series The Clone Wars will remain the best Star Wars media property outside of video games. Sadly it is canceled now, but hot damn some of those episodes exploring cool/random shit in the galaxy.