Official Movie Discussion

Devise

Gosh, the end of Guardians of the Galaxy is cheesy. 

Fit the feel of the rest of the movie.  Totally campy.  I'd like to think I was surprised at the mass appeal of the film, but then again ... American Idol!

Finally got around to watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tonight.  It was pretty decent, though it's tough to really get into the film when you know how it ends in a sense.  Too bad.  Serkis is a brilliant guy!

I wasn't a bad movie. I mean, this film wasn't made to be in the same categories of Fight Club or anything else. It was made for pure entertainment. Of course, the entertainment concept isn't quite the same for everyone but it sure is for the majority of people.

I'm fascinated by VFX so of course I enjoyed this portion of the movie.

Edited by boubabi

Fit the feel of the rest of the movie.  Totally campy.  I'd like to think I was surprised at the mass appeal of the film, but then again ... American Idol!

Finally got around to watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tonight.  It was pretty decent, though it's tough to really get into the film when you know how it ends in a sense.  Too bad.  Serkis is a brilliant guy!

That was the hook of Guardians though. So many of the rest of the big budget Marvel movies are "funny" but still super self serious. Guardians was literally a big budget B movie that is filled with silly campy humors and over the top space opera plot. I felt that was half the charm of it. That it wasn't afraid to be exactly what it should of been. Absurd, silly and campy. Not every movie needs to be a Picasso of plot and character development to the point that it's amazing.

I still respect your right to dislike it, and if I were to compare it with actual films that I hold up as pieces of art/more moving stuff it's not even in that realm. But that is kind of the point. It wasn't made to be in that category. Mindless entertainment as a means to connect the space stuff with the Marvel universe in a way that audiences would respond to, and not resent. 

Gone Girl - 8.5

Great movie, my only issue is NPH's character was kind of lame, the way he died was amazing tho lmao. One of the best I've seen in 2014 tbh.

Nightcrawler - 9

This is my favorite of the year. The social commentary in it is really good, everyone go dl it.

Watched the 1945 Classic last night, Carousel.  Had a couple good musical numbers in it, but overall I had a really tough time overcoming the incredibly poor treatment of women in the film, and the characters were extremely thin.

Stick to Sound of Music, Oklahoma, or the King and I when it comes to Rodgers and Hammerstein films.

Generally the older classics are great films (go watching Singin' in the Rain - it's simply phenomenal) and this was a rare one I really disliked.

I've heard lots of good stuff about Gone Girl, Birdman, and Nightcrawler, but from the trailers I can tell they won't be my kind of movies. You get to a point where 95% of the time you can tell if you'll like a film or not from the trailer.  Sometimes I get surprised (Silver Linings Playbook was one of those that shocked me in how much I liked it), but these newer strange movies must be showing my age since I just don't "get" them.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 5/10

Just... it wasn't very good. I expected more than 100 minutes of CGI and 20 minutes of the actors actually fucking doing stuff.

That's unfortunate but to be expected.  The Lord of the Rings are right up there with my favorite movies, and the first Hobbit film was decent. After watching the second one my wife and I walked out after the film and said we would be streaming the third one online since it was such a poor film.  Maybe my expectations will be so low for this third one that I'll be able to stomach it sitting on my own couch.

Read the book with my daughter recently and we really loved it.  Such a shame.

• Admin

My mindset for any film has been changed forever by Game of Thrones since I just couldn't cope with everyone remotely relevant still being alive 10 minutes into that over the top battle.

Thorin vs orc or orcs or whatever was dumb as shit.

• 2 weeks later...

American Sniper : 8/10

Cool story but like Seth Rogen said, some propaganda shits inside the movie. I get the concept of entertainment but the invasion of Iraq is one of the most horrific modern atrocities.

Cool story but it makes us think a lot.

Edited by boubabi