Double Standards in VHL?

rory

Recently I had a claim be denied by the updaters despite there being a user of similar skill set (mostly writing for PTs, very rare to do graphics) get a related post approved. In fact, the post that was made was straight inspired by theirs, I even tagged them in my post! This, among other problems that I've seen infecting the VHL, has gotten me thinking about how unfair and downright rigged the system is against most users. If you're not friends with people that will push your updates through for you, despite a PT needing to be denied/edited/etc, then your post will be left to rot in the queue until someone with enough GUTS will decline it, usually on Sunday afternoon, so you don't have time to create a replacement for the TPE you expected to earn. I've even heard stories of "flagged" updates being approved by updaters that DO NOT have clearance to do so. When I was an updater, the flag means an updater thinks it demands the attention of the Head of PT, DaaD for me and v.2 for these noob updaters, to make a final decision on the post.

Just now, jacobcarson877 said:

City Life Art GIF by Sherchle
I respect the art.

This is exactly the problem. I get mistreated over and over, but because I have been labelled as a "troll" 3 years ago my complaints get ignored. What a joke.

Just now, rory said:

This is exactly the problem. I get mistreated over and over, but because I have been labelled as a "troll" 3 years ago my complaints get ignored. What a joke.

I will gladly say there were problems with both sides.

I think we all know that you can't claim what you submitted and expect real TPE out of it. It was however funny.

It also should not have taken that long to handle, and we do need to be better with our flagged items sitting for too long. And yeah, unless we come to a consensus or get v.2's opinion, nobody should be making the call on a flagged post. From the 2 seconds I read of the conversation that wasn't what happened here, but I might not be able to read. From what I gathered, it was approved by someone not paying enough attention (happens to all of us), and got revoked? Again could be wrong, didn't involve me directly.

I personally would petition to let you claim something within the next like day to compensate for last week, but I don't hold that sway.

It IS a great bait post with a good root in actual reality, which is why its a great bait post.

Just wanted to make sure nobody (excluding those actually involved, who have the proper context) thought they needed to chip in with their own personal theories.

On a serious note, I remember one time when my graphic work got denied because it wasn’t good enough. Long time ago. However, there was a bunch of members whose work was posted and was garbage - simple, but was being approved. I don’t do graphic work, and just like to change things up because writing gets stale after 10+ years but because I don’t make graphics like some of the elite but I’ve been here a long time means they get denied I guess? 🪦 tough to gauge skill and what not though. Viewer discretion is advised. 

2 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I think we all know that you can't claim what you submitted and expect real TPE out of it.

Is this not the exact reason for this post, is that it can and was accepted for TPE? 

I once had a .com rejected because I wrote it about how .com’s were judged too harshly, because it lacked effort and wasn’t relevant to the topic… despite being about the .com’s themselves and referencing sources and being well above the word count

Just give up it’s not worth the effort 

Last week I had a graphic that I liked and thought was good declined for 'not enough effort' which is fair it was pretty simplistic but looking back I'm glad it was denied because it forced me to make a better graphic and improve my skills which is something I am trying to do.

I think it would be completely fair to allow anyone to submit a makeup PT for one that's declined within something like 48 hours, rather than just ending the week on them.

Also, although I do completely agree with whoever declined your update, I don't quite understand why the "similar" one was ever allowed through either, so... totally valid complaint lol

Edited by tcookie

Mine had music on it. I had artistic vision, I had a message that can be heard and understood hundreds of years from now.

I created a dragon, yours was more like a kitty cat.

Edited by jRuutu

16 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

It also should not have taken that long to handle, and we do need to be better with our flagged items sitting for too long.

I agree with you here, an example would be the flagged donation that I had when Z tried to donate for me. That issue resulted in a change in wording for the CoC regarding donating for others to make it abundantly clear that you cannot donate for others unless it is for the holiday drive. The issue came when the donation remained flagged and V2 wouldnt tell me why. I spent the entire week worrying about if I'd broken a major rule, to the point where it was only resolved once I asked Bek what was going on. And then he handled it in under 45 minutes after my first message to him was sent. It shouldn't take a week for something to be doen when simply messaging the commish about it gets it done immediately.