What's Wrong With the Sim?

Mmkay guys, so here is what happened in full. I'll preface everything by saying nothing is Velevra's fault at all.

Moving on, in previous life, I backed up the league file by making a copy of it, and uploading it to the server along with the games and such. This ensured that if I ever died, someone could become simmer on the spot. Meanwhile, I would occasionally upload the league file to zippyshare so Velevra could update and updated league. But that's become less of a big deal now that the VHL and VHLM are separate, so I neglected this for a while without noticing any adverse effects of this.

Until very recently boubabi pointed out that everyone's morale is inconsistent and fucky. Morale is an atty that starts the season at 40, and adjust automatically depending on performance. Now, I'm not positive how much morale actually contributes, but when Velevra updates on an out-of-date file, it basically keeps resetting the morale to whatever it was at the last time I gave him a league file.

So to make everyone's life easier, I just created a Dropbox folder that me, V, and D can all use and we never have to fuck around with uploading it and it's nice.

So Velevra updated the players, saved the league, quit, and it should have all been good. However, when I came to sim, I was getting a weird error and couldn't open it. (I later i.e. just moments ago learned this is because his software is more updated than mine)

This isn't really a big deal, because backups of the league file save every time *I* save. So I loaded my most recent backup.

But this is where things get unfortunate. The day before, I had simmed (double to catch up with Higgins) and realized after the fact (but before I actually uploaded the games to the server) that I had forgot to load lines sent to me. So I loaded up the pre-sim backup, simmed again, uploaded games, hurray. (This is standard protocol by the way, so don't try and start a moral crusade about pre-upload re-sims. If something or me fucks up, it's a do-over. It's not like I abuse it for benefit. In fact I feel like I personally get fucked over from this more often than not, but that is neither here nor there.)

However, for some shitty reason when I saved (I'm assuming because I used "Save As" to overwrite the "false" file instead of just "Save"?), it didn't save a backup of the re-sim.

So when I loaded my most recent backup, it loaded the PRE-re-sim file that had simmed the 20 games. There was literally no way for me to tell that this was the case until I output everything again and uploaded them to you shits. Sadly, at that point, it was too late.

So yeah. The stars kind of aligned to make everything shitty. So there's 20 games uploaded that are inconsistent with the rest of the index, because they're from an alternate universe. The original game files the schedule says took place were overwritten and are gone from history.

Apparently Velevra does in fact have a copy of the "true" file before GM 320 was simmed. Odds are I could update my STHS to the most recent version, open it, and re-sim from GM 320 to tonight's 347 in order to restore the original "true" results of GMs 300-320.

Although to be honest, as soon as the fuck up happened and a new 20 were simmed, I felt as though there was no point in attempting that, as there is no way everyone could win at that point. If the last 27 games are re-simmed, then those who did well in THOSE get screwed over.

But if the consensus is that it's canonically correct to do so, I have no issue with it.

So yeah, I'm really quite sorry about the mess. Honestly for it all to have played out like it did required quite a bit of luck and circumstance. It was basically a proof of evolution. Now that we presumably figured out the problem it absolutely will never happen again. Just let me know what everyone thinks is the best course of action, and shawty I can take you there.

Thanks for the full explanation Jardy, and it's just like you say, people will complain whatever route you take. I would just give us a quadruples week and we'll all be happy with it (always aim higher with rewards Gorlab)

Lets just finish up the season and work on the playoffs.

Just to clarify, and I don't think anyone believes I was complaining, but I made this thread out of confusion and not out of complaint. Just was curious what was going on, since I knew that everything would be explained eventually. I'm sure if I didn't bring it up then someone else would have.

To me, it doesn't matter too much. My individual stats were better in the first sim, but the team lost. In the re-sim my stats were worse but my team won the games.

Obviously, people who suffered as a consequence of this will complain and the ones who benefited likely will be happy with it. The Victory Cup race, the race for last place, home ice advantage, and individual stats(meaning individual awards) were probably impacted a little bit, but overall it shouldn't be too huge of an issue. I don't think home ice advantage really matters in this, and I could care less about the Victory Cup. As for the individual point races, those could possibly have been impacted, but most of the awards are left up to a league vote anyways.

I don't know, it's hard to really complain too much about it all. Besides, Jardy had a good explanation. Unlucky break.

Just to clarify, and I don't think anyone believes I was complaining, but I made this thread out of confusion and not out of complaint. Just was curious what was going on, since I knew that everything would be explained eventually. I'm sure if I didn't bring it up then someone else would have.

To me, it doesn't matter too much. My individual stats were better in the first sim, but the team lost. In the re-sim my stats were worse but my team won the games.

Obviously, people who suffered as a consequence of this will complain and the ones who benefited likely will be happy with it. The Victory Cup race, the race for last place, home ice advantage, and individual stats(meaning individual awards) were probably impacted a little bit, but overall it shouldn't be too huge of an issue. I don't think home ice advantage really matters in this, and I could care less about the Victory Cup. As for the individual point races, those could possibly have been impacted, but most of the awards are left up to a league vote anyways.

I don't know, it's hard to really complain too much about it all. Besides, Jardy had a good explanation. Unlucky break.

we will see in the end, but still, I lost 2 pts for sure plus I've lost 2 times without having my new lines in. Those losts could result as me playing Davos in the first round instead of having a BYE. So yes, there's more than individuals stats here.

People certainly have a right to complain, they may have been fucked one way or the other. Sadly all I can really do is frown and maybe placate them with TPE.