VHL Magazine Power Poll - Goodbye my friend

Toast

VHL Magazine Power Poll  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Senior Admin

no, a chat bar like we had and more

https://www.cometchat.com/

it does everything, even games

I wouldn't get anyones hopes up.

We have looked at alternatives but another problem on top of the cost is that such 3rd party chat mods aren't allowed on IPB hosted servers. Our old chat wasn't allowed either, the reason being that it uses up a shit load of resources constantly sending messages back and forth to the server. Sometime last year Higgins was contacted by IPB, who said that we were causing issues for other sites on the server and ordered us to take it down.

Instead of complying, we purchased a 'push server' to take the load off of the IPB server, but ultimately that is what drove up the cost of chat so much. Bottom line is that IM's are inefficient beasts and, while they are of course convenient and all that, the logistics of them isn't totally practical for a small forum. 

That being said, we aren't ruling anything out. More can be done once we actually get upgraded; Higgins and I will be looking for solutions and options, including cometchat. 

Voted no. I'll likely not keep up with many people now who aren't teammates, which gives me a narrower community reach. PM seems like a rather inefficient substitute for how I used the chat system. 

Plus, I'm not exactly blown away by the upgrades - none of it strikes me as something we "needed." Now, neither is chat, but it was a more utilized (for me) want than the forum upgrades will be.

Here's a metaphor: the VHL is a dinner table, and the chat was a smartphone. Everybody was so dialed into chat, they weren't saying anything to each other outside of that. I've been spending a lot more time in the SHL lately, mostly because they don't have a chat and people, you know, actually converse. I'd log in here and there's barely anything going on, relatively speaking, and I wonder why I even bother.