New York Americans Jersey Retirement

Advantage

The New York Americans had a tremendous run not long ago and it was due majorly to five different players who were there for considerable time.  Odin Tordahl and Conner Low both already have had their number retired, and it is time to add two more.  These two players were two major factors in why my New York dynasty worked so well and they were both guys I could turn to when I needed an opinion on anything.  It was an honour having both of these players on my team for so long and I'm really glad that they are not only in the VHL Hall of Fame, but will now have their numbers retired for New York. 

xxxret2.png

504 GP, 310 G, 352 A, 662 P, +275, 2074 Hits, 59 GWG

Continental Cup (39, 41)

Victory Cup (38, 39, 40, 41)

Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy (39, 40, 41)

Scott Boulet Trophy (40)

2nd All-time in Goals for NY

5th All-time in Assists for NY

3rd All-time in Points for NY

3rd All-time in Plus/Minus for NY

1st All-time in Hits for NY

1st All-time in GWG for NY

I considered myself very lucky to get Fong along with Zadorov and my own player in Season Thirty-Six, and it really got me going with my rebuild.  Fong is a stand-up guy and I love that I have him back in the LR because he's the ultimate team player.  While he is very humble about XXX, there is no one that can deny his impact on New York.  It didn't take him long to pass Braxton in hits and if I was able to give him another year in New York, I think he probably would have broken the goals and points record.  Unfortunately I did have to trade him for the rebuild, but it got him a third cup so I'm pretty happy there.  He's a great dude and he earned that Hall of Fame induction, and has certainly earned his number being retired for his accomplishments with the franchise.

slauret2.png

432 GP, 226 G, 381 A, 607 P, +283, 130 Hits, 40 GWG

Continental Cup (39, 41)

Victory Cup (38, 39, 40, 41)

Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy (39, 40, 41)

Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (37)

Mikka Virkkunen Trophy (39, 40)

5th All-time in Goals for NY

4th All-time in Assists for NY

4th All-time in Points for NY

2nd All-Time in Plus/Minus for NY

4th All-time in GWG for NY

While Tom Slaughter never won a major award for New York, his value to the team could not just be measured in awards.  Tom Slaughter, had he stayed on for his final two seasons, would have smashed anyone else's totals due to his ridiculously consistent offensive performances throughout his career.  The fact that he is top-five in every major category offensively, despite only playing six seasons, is an absolute testament to how great he really is.  Sterling's impact is even more felt in the locker-room where he was essentially the other GM.  I would consistently bounce ideas and ask for his opinion on several moves, and I do not think I would be anywhere near as successful if not for his help.  Slaughter was a major player in the team's two Continental Cup victories, our record four straight Victory Cups and the three finals appearances.  Hats off to Tom as he is not only a Hall of Fame player but now a member of our honoured alumni in New York.

@sterling @tfong

• Head Moderator
4 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Fong doesn't believe in those names. He'd rather pull it out of a hat cabinet.

Actually your statement here is pretty correct haha.

But in regards to needing an actual last name, if the jersey can't say XXX on it. Xiao would be the "last name" because of it being last.

In reality, Xin, Xie and Xiao are all surnames. So its something like Bacon Smith Jones as a name. I actually just made the name out of 3 dynasty era's with X as the first letter.

Edited by tfong

40 minutes ago, tfong said:

Actually your statement here is pretty correct haha.

But in regards to needing an actual last name, if the jersey can't say XXX on it. Xiao would be the "last name" because of it being last.

In reality, Xin, Xie and Xiao are all surnames. So its something like Bacon Smith Jones as a name. I actually just made the name out of 3 dynasty era's with X as the first letter.

Since when is Bacon a normal surname. Let's stick with Smith Anderson Jones

• Head Moderator

Haha w/e, so its not normal or common, it just happened to come to my mind first. But since we went on that topic i decided to see howmany people actually have his last name.

http://howmanyofme.com/people/Kevin_Bacon/

34,965 (according to this site)

Sadly only 19,818 people in the states with Fong as a last name :(

Xin has 570

Xie has 5740

Xiao has 3302

Kendrick has 31,331

There are 2 people in the US named Terence Fong.

Neat site haha.

Edited by tfong