Edition 274 | Are Goalies Bad?

Molholt

3 minutes ago, boubabi said:

I did actually. Wanna make things clearer for you ? I shall do this, I have time.

The only individual stats that Campbell can control is pretty much the save pct. Wins, Shutouts and GAA are pretty much teams stats at that point. Guess what, Campbell has the Victory Cup in front of him. Even Okrantiz could had been decent in NY this year.

Do you know what is true tho ? Weinstein played behind 3 computers players, 3 VHLM caliber players for more than half of the season, and still had .923 save PCT (.001 behind Campbell) and has faced 300 more shots during the season while playing behind a 235 tpe defensemen in Zhukenov. I don't expect you to change your mind, considering I know how critical thinking isn't your strength.

Always has to take a personal shot even when everyone was keeping things straight. Gotta love how Stockholm's CPU issue should be a knock against Campbell, since when does Campbell control Stockholm's transactions? All he does is out perform Weinstein.

16 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Whats obvious is the hate on Campbell cause he left Stockholm.

That wasn't a personal shot at me either ? Kendrick, go prepare yourself to your night shift, you need some more sleep 

Just now, boubabi said:

That wasn't a personal shot at me either ? Kendrick, go prepare yourself to your night shift, you need some more sleep 

Wait how is that a personal shot? I'm simply stating that a player left Stockholm and you hated it on the board. It seems it has clouded your judgement on an award. I am not throwing daggers at you or your intelligence.

4 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Oh good, because I do throw daggers at you and your intelligence. Because you're an idiot. That's it. 

Good, you're a bias prick with no real clue how he votes or how to put past differences to vote correctly.

21 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Haha this guy. Let's all go look at previous voting years and see if he thought beyond haha

In truth, I think the records are more like to show that, whether for the right or wrong reasons, Boubabi looks outside of stats more than any other GM. And its more than "thinking past stats to disguise bias" thing either, he was Reencarnacion's sole vote for MVP last season and I don't have any significant ties to Stockholm. 

I'm not saying I think he's right about Weinstein being Goalie of the Year (I don't think Weinstein is GOTY, but that's just my opinion), but I think his history would show he will look outside of stats for his picks. 

On 2/17/2016 at 5:46 PM, Victor said:

I would rather be burned alive.

Well that's convenient since I'm pretty sure that's the only way to take down a Bobby Strong.

As for the debate, boubabi raises fair points, but the "more shots" argument is a double-edged sword, and this wouldn't be the first time it's been argued. Two goalies have similar SV%, but one has far more shots. One could argue that the goalie having to make more saves is obviously better. But looking at it from a statistical standpoint, more shots offers more opportunity for saves. Maybe if Campbell was given an additional 300 shots, he would have a higher save percentage because he's really good.

At the end of the day though, we ARE talking about a percentage. Campbell saves 92.4% of his shots, and Weinstein saves 92.3% of his. Theoretically, if Campbell received just as many shots, that percentage should be the same.

And while we're talking about the shot differential, Weinstein facing 326 more shots in a season does sound like a lot, but keep in mind that's ~5 shots a game difference (NYA faced 22, STO faced 27).

In the end, I definitely agree that Campbell obviously wasn't significantly (if at all) better than Weinstein or even Sinclair (who, by the way, faced slightly more shots than Weinstein). But the season was only 72 games long and they ultimately give Campbell a marginal edge at nearly every single angle.