Get to know me

Gooningitup

Real Name

Sasha Orlov

Birthplace:Saint Petersberg, Russia

Currently living just outside Ottawa, ON

Profession:Electrician

Languages: Russian, English, some Swedish.

When I was 5, my parents fled Russia fearing war with the USA. We moved to Stockholm in Sweden. 3 years, later both my parents were killed in a car crash. I spent the rest of my life bouncing around homes, and foster parents. 

Till I was 18 and I went out on my own and moved back to my home country, at 19 I met my future wife. I worked in factory's, etc odd jobs till I was 26.

I lived in run down place my whole life, saving every penny I could, I finally earned enough to go to College, to study to be an electrician. I graduated 4 years later, working 3 jobs to take care of me an my GF. I could not find work in Russia, only odd jobs finally 6 years ago me and my wife moved. 

We choose Canada, we bounced around city to city, wherever we could find work for 3 years. Before finally finding work here where I live today. 

Despite everything, and some nights barely being able to feed her she stuck with me. 

Finally out of debt, last year I managed to buy a ring, and propose to the love of my life. We had recently found out we would also be having a child. We saved for 9 months her working whatever she could find, and me doing overtime to buy our first house before our son was born.

Our son was born, over a year ago Alexei Victor, Orlov. Unfortunately, only 5 months into our sons life, she was diagnosed with cancer, only to pass away just a few short weeks ago.

If there are any other questions you may want to ask feel free too :) just wanted to share my story with everyone 

It has, not been easy. But its made me who I am today. A person always willing to put others ahead of myself, and a guy whose always willing to work my ass off. 

I've gone through more than most in a lifetime, but I don't forget that. In now a very successful electrician. And I give to the community any way I can. Because I know what it's like to be down with nothing. 

So we'll its not easy, its molded the person I am today. 

Without a doubt, that is an amazing story and it is incredible what you have overcome in your life. A true inspiration to everyone.

If you don't mind, can I ask you about the electrician field? Being an electrician has always been an idea I had, but I just never looked too much into it.

3 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Without a doubt, that is an amazing story and it is incredible what you have overcome in your life. A true inspiration to everyone.

If you don't mind, can I ask you about the electrician field? Being an electrician has always been an idea I had, but I just never looked too much into it.

Ya man go ahead

7 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

All I'm really wondering is how you've liked it so far. Do you find it a difficult job? Lots of hours? What's it like trying to find jobs?

I enjoy it, it can be difficult it varies job to job. Not every job is the same which is nice gives you variety. I personally work about 50hours a week, but I've had days I finish a project in 3 hours. All depends on what type you want to be.

I know guys who work less than 40 a week, and others that work 70+. Depends on the type you want to be, I'm more of a contractor type, so I work on giving power to new buildings but projects can be far an apart. So I take on general jobs, like rewiring older houses, adding extension into houses etc.

It's much easier to just be a guy who goes into someone's built house, and fixes their issues. To find a job, and get stable hours than it is for my line. If you live in a small city, try to specialize in doing everything because you'll get a hell of a lot more work. Especially if your reliable.

The trades are always in demand, alot of the work force is much older. Electrician isn't as bad as some of the other fields but its not too hard to find work 

10 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

I enjoy it, it can be difficult it varies job to job. Not every job is the same which is nice gives you variety. I personally work about 50hours a week, but I've had days I finish a project in 3 hours. All depends on what type you want to be.

I know guys who work less than 40 a week, and others that work 70+. Depends on the type you want to be, I'm more of a contractor type, so I work on giving power to new buildings but projects can be far an apart. So I take on general jobs, like rewiring older houses, adding extension into houses etc.

It's much easier to just be a guy who goes into someone's built house, and fixes their issues. To find a job, and get stable hours than it is for my line. If you live in a small city, try to specialize in doing everything because you'll get a hell of a lot more work. Especially if your reliable.

The trades are always in demand, alot of the work force is much older. Electrician isn't as bad as some of the other fields but its not too hard to find work 

Yeah, sounds like a fine job to have.

I just have a buddy who went to school for it but could never really find a job outside of it. There was nobody hiring it seemed.

On 2/18/2016 at 8:52 PM, Gooningitup said:

only 5 months into our sons life, she was diagnosed with cancer, only to pass away just a few short weeks ago.

slightly confused here.

But damn man good for you for sticking it out and good on your wife. I am sorry about your child that is really tough (even though I have had nothing quite like that) but it really shows what perseverance can do. You are a strong person and very respected for sharing this.

11 hours ago, Dewie said:

slightly confused here.

But damn man good for you for sticking it out and good on your wife. I am sorry about your child that is really tough (even though I have had nothing quite like that) but it really shows what perseverance can do. You are a strong person and very respected for sharing this.

Might be my english, my son was born and 5months later we found out my wife was diagnosed with cancer. She passed just after he turned 1year old 

Edited by Gooningitup