S47 Off-Season Schedule

Will

4 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

Victor still doesn't think TOR/SEA/COL were bad?  Hence the joking being somewhat worrisome.

Also - still think Davos overpaid and that 13th would have been more appropriate than 7th.  I get Komarov was the 8th or 9th-rated prospect, but he was still as close to 13 as he was 7 - if not closer.

He said he TOR was bad and SEA was a result of bad TOR. Also he's not a Commissioner either.

And TPE-wise he might have been just as close to 13th. But that's like saying Shayne Gow was way closer to 4th rounder in the VHLM draft than he was a 1st rounder. I know it's comparing pears to apples, but still. 13th overall Soapwart is two months inactive, 12th overall Dope Fiend is one month inactive, 11th overall Kronos is a boss but unfortunately wasn't supposed to be in this draft (a much worse error than what you're arguing, imo), and 10th overall Mercer hasn't updated in three months (though he still seems to be around).

Only 9th overall Kissanen is close to Komarov. In fact they're pretty much identical at this point.

So no, unless 10th-13th overall collectively rose from the dead to become TPE whores, there is no way to slice him being closer to 13th overall than 7th. He could have/would have gone as early as 7th, as late as 9th, no matter who the GM was.

5 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

I don't understand why I have to give it a rest, but I will after today even though I can't seem to get any sort of agreement/validation that things will improve.

No one has yet to disagree with you, and the Gooning's succession itself WAS validation that it would improve, if you ask me. There probably should be a written process, but unfortunately it's never particularly simple. I'd personally say future draft pool successions should be a guaranteed 1st. But again, I'm not really in charge of these decisions.

1 hour ago, CoachReilly said:

Victor still doesn't think TOR/SEA/COL were bad?  Hence the joking being somewhat worrisome.

Also - still think Davos overpaid and that 13th would have been more appropriate than 7th.  I get Komarov was the 8th or 9th-rated prospect, but he was still as close to 13 as he was 7 - if not closer.

As the guy who actually watched these guys week in and week out, no. He was closer to 7th in terms of activity and consistency. Keep in mind a guy who claims welfare each week of the VHLM season still holds more weight than a guy who updates once every 6 weeks with a Point Task. I'm not saying they aren't valuable, but that welfare claimer is being consistent and that is all we really want in this league.

• Admin
1 hour ago, CoachReilly said:
  • From Victor on Cologne:  " Perhaps compensation was agreed but not enforced by the commishes or anyone else, which seems to have been alluded to. In that case it is not a failure of the GM succession process but a failure higher up." >>> how is that not a failure of GM Succession Process? is implementation not part of the process? saying the 'process' didn't fail but something else did is such petty semantics i probably shouldn't even get into it.

Of all the things to disregard, this, really? It's not semantics, it's a very legitimate point.

Disclaimer yet again: I don't know the ins and outs of the Cologne case. I am theorising based on tidbits I'm aware of that Cologne was giving up something for Jarvi but this failed to be implemented.

If the BOG did indeed decide that Cologne would give up something for Greg and it had been implemented properly, then you would have a much weaker case, no? The Cologne example is clearly the worst one at the moment because 1) it seems there was no compensation and 2) I have no idea what happened. If it was more clear and executed properly you wouldn't be able to say, "look at how easy Cologne got away with it", and use that as your main argument.

As per your MS, the "GM succession process" is the actual decision behind what a franchise should pay for an external GM player. Failure to implement the decision is not a failure of the process.

Section 2.05 - GM Succession:

Note that anyone can become a GM of a team simply by dethroning the current GM. Acceptable means are beheading, blackmailing, blackballing, cut-drawn-and-quartering, and subjecting them to 10 hours of live Beiber performances. It's that simple.

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Section 2.05 - GM Succession:

Note that anyone can become a GM of a team simply by dethroning the current GM. Acceptable means are beheading, blackmailing, blackballing, cut-drawn-and-quartering, and subjecting them to 10 hours of live Beiber performances. It's that simple.

After hearing his latest album, that ain't that bad.

2 hours ago, CoachReilly said:

This doesn't make sense.

Also, it's important to note that it should be part of the General Manager's job to have a successor in place. The four incidents in question have not followed that process due to circumstances out of the league's control.

7 minutes ago, sterling said:

This doesn't make sense.

Again, you're not reading what I'm saying.  DGFX was 70+ TPE ahead of Komarov vs. Komarov being ahead of 13th by 50 or so TPE.  Again, BOG mentions other teams needing a boost in certain circumstances and feel fine with that reasoning, but not with this particular selection? 13th would have been pretty close to fair if you take TPE into consideration.

3 minutes ago, sterling said:

Also, it's important to note that it should be part of the General Manager's job to have a successor in place. The four incidents in question have not followed that process due to circumstances out of the league's control.

right. but we know the world is not perfect, right?  not everything will operate under perfect circumstances.  the league DID have control over the succession plan though, and it went poorly.  not sure how you can debate that.

i've explained how shit went awry with me as GM, and i don't know Ahma's story, but i'll explain mine yet again. i know it was difficult timing with both transitions.  i informed the league where i would be for a few weeks and it ended up conflicting with crucial off-season tasks. like everyone, i sometimes go on vacation -- i was probably gone from the VHL for 10 days... which were the worst 10 days to miss... but again, I told Draper about it.  Draper is a good dude and he's not to blame here... ultimately, i am. But to say everyone was totally in the dark is, in my opinion, not right.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

Again, you're not reading what I'm saying.  DGFX was 70+ TPE ahead of Komarov vs. Komarov being ahead of 13th by 50 or so TPE.  Again, BOG mentions other teams needing a boost in certain circumstances and feel fine with that reasoning, but not with this particular selection? 13th would have been pretty close to fair if you take TPE into consideration.

and you've completely ignored the fact that Podarok was taken ahead of Cole with 40-50 less TPE so had the draft gone by the TPE rankings then the difference between Komarov at 7th and Podarok at 8th would have been much smaller.

• Admin
1 minute ago, CoachReilly said:

right. but we know the world is not perfect, right?  not everything will operate under perfect circumstances.  the league DID have control over the succession plan though, and it went poorly.  not sure how you can debate that.

i've explained how shit went awry with me as GM, and i don't know Ahma's story, but i'll explain mine yet again. i know it was difficult timing with both transitions.  i informed the league where i would be for a few weeks and it ended up conflicting with crucial off-season tasks. like everyone, i sometimes go on vacation -- i was probably gone from the VHL for 10 days... which were the worst 10 days to miss... but again, I told Draper about it.  Draper is a good dude and he's not to blame here... ultimately, i am. But to say everyone was totally in the dark is, in my opinion, not right.

The transition from you to Ahma was actually pretty much seamless so that's not really relevant

10 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

Read the quote again, it's completely asinine.

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

and you've completely ignored the fact that Podarok was taken ahead of Cole with 40-50 less TPE so had the draft gone by the TPE rankings then the difference between Komarov at 7th and Podarok at 8th would have been much smaller.

He only lists facts that fit his complaint.

1 minute ago, Victor said:

The transition from you to Ahma was actually pretty much seamless so that's not really relevant

I agree, but trying to emphasize why I'm being such a pain in the ass about this.

3 minutes ago, Victor said:

That's a fair point, but let's not discount the fact that Podarok looks like an absolute stud in the making. @ADwyer87 is part of the VHLMag, is a VHLM GM, so he's already maxed out at his 9 TPE per week.  The difference will likely grow.

4 minutes ago, sterling said:

He only lists facts that fit his complaint.

Read the above and respond back.

Just now, CoachReilly said:

I agree, but trying to emphasize why I'm being such a pain in the ass about this.

That's a fair point, but let's not discount the fact that Podarok looks like an absolute stud in the making. @ADwyer87 is part of the VHLMag, is a VHLM GM, so he's already maxed out at his 9 TPE per week.  The difference will likely grow.

Read the above and respond back.

Respond to what? Your incorrect belief that Davos somehow got screwed by taking the 8th/9th best prospect 7th overall when that prospect was coming in to GM the team? Your logical fallacy in regard to Toronto/Seattle/Cologne? Those situations are irrelevant to this conversation.

1 minute ago, sterling said:

Respond to what? Your incorrect belief that Davos somehow got screwed by taking the 8th/9th best prospect 7th overall when that prospect was coming in to GM the team? Your logical fallacy in regard to Toronto/Seattle/Cologne? Those situations are irrelevant to this conversation.

You just admitted that they at least slightly overpaid, when in comparison, every other team has gotten a boatload of benefit from new GM changes.  Even teams that have gone through poor GM transitions where the GM has just up and left.  Those situations are NOT irrelevant to this conversation.  

3 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

You just admitted that they at least slightly overpaid, when in comparison, every other team has gotten a boatload of benefit from new GM changes.  Even teams that have gone through poor GM transitions where the GM has just up and left.  Those situations are NOT irrelevant to this conversation.  

They are because they have already occurred and we can't reverse them. Future situations will be fair value. That's the proper precedent.

In this case 7th overall was fair value. If DGFX had been named GM, he'd have been taken 7th too.