Claimed:My Case for the Grimm Jonsson Trophy [Reviewed]

Phil

My Case for the Grimm Jonsson Trophy

Well One of Them, Anyway.

trophy_kingclancylg.jpg

This is probably the first and last time I ever do this, but I feel the need to show some of the VHL community snippets of what I do behind the closed doors of the Helsinki lockerroom and why I think that I am, until proven otherwise, one of the top candidates for the Grimm Jonsson Trophy.

You guys see my presence on the boards in game threads and everything, that's all well and good but many other amazing members do this too so there's no stand-out there. I try to always behave in an encouraging and professional way with a cheeky twist to keep a positive environment but again, people like @DollarAndADream do this as well. I encourage my teammates in and out of the lockerroom and send PMs out to free agents when it's time and create fun threads in the lockerrooms but I can't be the only one actively doing that so that does not set me apart. There is, however, one thread I have done since I won the Cup with Seattle Bears in S43 that I believe is the single most important thread that I have ever done to warrant being the top leader. That thread is the Game of the Week thread.

Basically, once a week I go through all of the games my team has played and pick the one that I believe to be the most important in that week. I have an intro explaining what went on this week and why I chose the game before carefully recapping the highlights of the game based off the play-by-play of the game thread. I post the 3 stars and link the game in the post. At the top post of the thread. I say something like: "This thread is for my teammates who may not be super active and check every game thread. I will be highlighting one game every week that I believe was our most important /  impressive of that given week. Look for me to be doing this every weekend! It is my hope that this will spur more discussion about our performance and help us figure out our strengths, potentially giving us ideas of what to look for in the off-season or even at the trade deadline. Enjoy!"

Truthfully, these have an even deeper and more important connotation in the historical context of the league. I will attempt to explain:

10 seasons from now, who's going to really remember the dynamic of seasons 45 and 46, or even remember how Helsinki went from being one of the worst teams in the league in S44 to winning the Continental Cup? The truth is, everyone will probably only remember that they pulled off "The Repeat" and the "r-ggery" of Draper and that's the extent of it, but the specifics of how it unfolded will more than likely be lost. Unless we go digging through the Claimed Point Task section for some specific articles during those seasons, only then will we find  words that more accurately reflect what had happened in those seasons, before knowledge of the outcome had coloured the perception. You can't validate the process through the results. Human beings tend to venerate what finished well, not what was done well. We attack what ended up badly, not what was done badly...

What is also lost in the search for an overall explicatory narrative is the nuance, the ebbs and flows a season takes on its way to an eventual result on which almost all interpretation ends up being based. A moment's lack of discipline change a game's percentages, a moment of brilliance can yank it one way or the other, but particularly in an even game, the outcome rests to a large degree on a side's ability to ride out its rocky patches, or to take advantage when it is in control. One moment can shape a game, and one game can shape a season, and one season can shape a career. Hockey is not always fair - especially a sim using the STHS.

If we are really to understand the VHL's, or in my case, Helsinki's past and draw meaningful lessons from it, then there is need to hack through the myths and personal recollections and go back to the sources, the games themselves, and subject them to forensic examination.

There also must be a sense of context. Each game is also part of a sequence, whether good or bad, and it will always be influenced by personnel and the prevailing ideology. Circumstances, equally play their part, whether sporting or to do with the wider world. The games that I discuss are selected not because  they are necessarily the best games Helsinki have been involved in, but because they highlight wider trends in Helsinki's season. This all adds together to give quite a lovely narrative of Helsinki's season. A coherent story that can be looked back upon and draw lessons from.  

A captain and leader needs to be the voice of reason and clarity. Searching through these Game of the Weeks, we can see that rather than some STHS bullshit or reverse r-igging done by Draper, we can see things like Stockholm's ascension to a team capable of making the finals. I take note of the trends a season is taking as it is going on so that we can somewhat predict what's going to happen so that if and when it does, rather than focusing our energy negatively on "unjust" outcomes of the season, or the "bullshit" of the STHS we can focus it all positively towards congratulating those teams that surpass us and just say: "We'll be back next season."

In the end, yes, the Grimm Jonsson award is particular important to me because day in and day out I try to be the best leader I can be for my team and for the league. I try to go the extra step every day, every sim, every season, to pump up the team's morale and ensure that everyone is engaged and having a good time. If my teammates are having a good time here, then that means that I've ultimately achieved my goal and if the league doesn't feel I have worked hard for or warrant the Top Leader, then so be it, but if my teammates believe  that I have, then honestly I couldn't ask for anything more! <3

@Draper @Victor @boom @Individual @Tylar @Kylrad @Mr. Escabar @Wasty @Knight 

Edited by Phil

• Senior Admin

Can attest to this. I won two Grimm Jonsson Trophy's with Don Draper basically just for being very active at the time, but Phil is really what a Grimm Jonsson winner should be. You get a lot of value having Phil on your team not just for his TPE or his good player, but also for all of the reasons above. What's especially important is that despite the disappointment of last season and precarious situation we're in now, Phil hasn't let any of that effect what he does best. 

After spending many seasons in Helsinki, I can safely say Phil is what I hope every Titan, or anyone in the league for that matter, to aspire to. 

(Also @Phil, I have a feeling sterling will promptly ban you when he see's this so adios for now) 

There is no way I can ever argue Phil winning the Grimm. It just always makes sense.

I won it when Phil's player wasn't in the VHL, and I feel like that's the only time I will ever win it. That's okay with me.

There's no questioning what Phil does for his team and the league overall. I can only hope to one day share a team.

The only thing that kind of threw me off was last season when Ahma had 3 votes for the Grimm, and I had 0. I thought that was odd, considering I've been around much longer than he was, but it is what it is. He didn't win, neither did I .

Phil always deserves the Grimm in any season he's in the VHL. I can't argue that. Also, thanks for the shout out, buddy.

1 hour ago, Draper said:

(Also @Phil, I have a feeling sterling will promptly ban you when he see's this so adios for now) 

He can't ban me for freedom of speech!!!!

well he can, and yea probably will... but I like him too much to stay mad at him for long. 

1 hour ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I would like this but i wasnt tagged

Tbh I thought about tagging the GMs, but this was written more because it's a topic to write about, rather than to try to persuade the GMs to vote for me. It's just I think there needs to be a discussion amongst the GMs about this award because without, none of the GMs can see what anyone other than their own players do inside their lockerrooms. Until such a day exists, I will not be tagging GMs on what I do as captain of my team... if they happen to stumble upon this like you, however, I wouldn't mind either.

Thanks for the read either way :)

46 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

The only thing that kind of threw me off was last season when Ahma had 3 votes for the Grimm, and I had 0. I thought that was odd, considering I've been around much longer than he was, but it is what it is. He didn't win, neither did I .

And look how silly that looks now. I didn't understand it either. Your attitude from the get-go has been nothing short of leadership quality whereas we saw a little more than some not-so-leader-like posts from the one in question and honestly if I don't win this season, I wouldn't be sad to see the Grimm go into the hands of either yourself or @jRuutu :) 

I absolutely think you should win the trophy. If it comes down to me and you winning, it should be you 10 times out of 10.  You helped me a lot when I came into VHL and that help made sure I could stay active ;) 

DollarAndADream should win the trophy at least 9.5 times out of 10 if it comes down to me and him. I don´t really do nowhere near the work you guys do here daily. 

1 hour ago, tfong said:

Why you no tag me :( @Phil

When was the last time we were on the same team together? I just tagged my current teammates and Knight, because I wanted Knight to read it and he's lazy and forgetful in his old age...  If I write an article on awesome people, then you'll definitely be tagged 

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Phil said:

When was the last time we were on the same team together? I just tagged my current teammates and Knight, because I wanted Knight to read it and he's lazy and forgetful in his old age...  If I write an article on awesome people, then you'll definitely be tagged 

Well it could be this season if say one of our GMs traded one another :D

Otherwise it was in Brampton I think after waiver wire :P

Just now, tfong said:

Well it could be this season if say one of our GMs traded one another :D

Otherwise it was in Brampton I think after waiver wire :P

lol VHLm don't count. But I like the trading idea. You'd do well in Helsinki Blue :)

DaaD is crucial to the success of Toronto and is willing to help, listen, provide feedback, etc., at every step of the way. Wouldn't be turning this ship around without him. Probably wouldn't attract free agents like Wingate without him. Is always positive also. 

I think a lot of people do things outside of post in threads. I was always brought to believe that character and being a leader is primarily about what you do when no one is looking. When the cameras aren't on, when you aren't getting credit, when you aren't just out for an award or recognition. 

When no one is looking? DaaD and Phil are both great members, great players, highly valuable to their teams, boost the league as a whole, etc. They are both deserving.

Review: 

This was a very well done article. I had no idea you did all that as GM. If I'm not mistaken, you didn't win the Grimm Jonsson Trophy but that's not to say you're a bad leader, voters may just be misinformed. Glad you're a part of this league and I hope some other GMs can maybe learn from this article.

Thanks.