Active Position Tracker

This may even be a thing here but some sites I'm a part of have an active position tracker that tallies all of the active members in each position so that when new people sign up they know what is needed. It can be a lot of work to upkeep and if you wanted to you could just ask around and people will tell you but it's nice to have a visual.

58 minutes ago, Dangles13 said:

This may even be a thing here but some sites I'm a part of have an active position tracker that tallies all of the active members in each position so that when new people sign up they know what is needed. It can be a lot of work to upkeep and if you wanted to you could just ask around and people will tell you but it's nice to have a visual.

We don't go by what is needed, we go by what the user wants to do. We aren't a league in dire need of a certain position, we are in dire need of active users regardless of the position. The reason we don't have one up is because you can find a home here regardless of what position you sign up as.

3 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

We don't go by what is needed, we go by what the user wants to do. We aren't a league in dire need of a certain position, we are in dire need of active users regardless of the position. The reason we don't have one up is because you can find a home here regardless of what position you sign up as.

Tell that to Sinclair and Campbell :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Tell that to Sinclair and Campbell :ph34r:

But at the time of their creation they were needed and they so happen to want to create at that position. The hard part is GM's often go with Goalies.

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Fair enough, personally for me I would rather fill a needed position but it makes sense to let free will run it's course.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Dangles13 said:

Fair enough, personally for me I would rather fill a needed position but it makes sense to let free will run it's course.

With leagues looking to get their core members before an inaugural draft or something that makes perfect sense and is really helpful. With the VHL having run nearly 50 seasons we find its better to have people create something they will have fun with.

For example, the league could desperately need defensemen but I'm still not likely to create one because I know that, for me, that position would be boring. When the sim leagues are boring they are more of a chore which no one wants.

Generally speaking teams need strong defensive D-Men (so lot of guys use offensive builds even on defensemen) and playmakers. This does vary per team and per season but if you really want to base a player off need those are the ones I've noticed are generally lacking.

8 hours ago, Dangles13 said:

Oh trust me, I am included in that thinking. However the VHL is 50 seasons deep, choosing a position you want to choose is more important than a need.

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

With leagues looking to get their core members before an inaugural draft or something that makes perfect sense and is really helpful. With the VHL having run nearly 50 seasons we find its better to have people create something they will have fun with.

For example, the league could desperately need defensemen but I'm still not likely to create one because I know that, for me, that position would be boring. When the sim leagues are boring they are more of a chore which no one wants.

Generally speaking teams need strong defensive D-Men (so lot of guys use offensive builds even on defensemen) and playmakers. This does vary per team and per season but if you really want to base a player off need those are the ones I've noticed are generally lacking.

I made a defensive D man in SHL probably the most fun I had with a player that's just me though

20 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Oh trust me, I am included in that thinking. However the VHL is 50 seasons deep, choosing a position you want to choose is more important than a need.

The flip side is creating a position you want to play and not getting ice time because of too much depth. I have zero clue if that is a problem here but I have seen people go inactive before because they only get 5 minutes on the 4th line or they are stuck in a backup goalie spot too long.

4 hours ago, Dangles13 said:

The flip side is creating a position you want to play and not getting ice time because of too much depth. I have zero clue if that is a problem here but I have seen people go inactive before because they only get 5 minutes on the 4th line or they are stuck in a backup goalie spot too long.

Yes but as I mentioned that rarely, rarely happens here. You've seen that yes, not here. As people who have been here a long time, were telling you it would just be a wasted thread.

19 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

Doesn't YEAH! have a TPE applied spreadsheet? Does that still get updated?  If so, couldn't that be used?

Yeah it still gets updated, it's here:

It's about a week behind atm but will be caught up by end of week

Edited by YEAH!stlemania

And just because I'm a huge dick, I've added a positional tracker to that so you can at least track how many players play in what position in the VHL Pro System.

20 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

And just because I'm a huge dick, I've added a positional tracker to that so you can at least track how many players play in what position in the VHL Pro System.

Does your dickitry know no bounds?

I know this thread is a little old now, but since I'm just seeing it now, I'll give my thoughts:

- Something like you mentioned in the OP would indeed be neat to have. Though, if you agree, I think YEAH's solution may suffice with some proper exposure. Thanks, YEAH!

- I agree with Bek and Ken that we don't focus so much on what position is "needed" here. There's never any particular need or lack thereof of any position, except for, as Streetlight mentioned, potentially goalies. In fact right now it seems like there's more goalies in the league than we know what to do with, but it seems to me that if you're having fun with a player, and you stay active, things will work out. Even if there is 100 goalies.

- Eaglesfan should be banned.