2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

5 hours ago, Kendrick said:

It might be his face, I just want to punch it. He looks like an Alien.

You will be happy with him. I hate when he whines to the refs but he is a pure joy to watch, full speed up and down the ice all game and he can win games by himself.

I'm pretty damn pumped to see what kind of chemistry and success Taylor Hall and Beau Bennett can bring to the table in New Jersey. I don't think the Devils have had a player as skilled as Hall since Kovalchuk.

Also, the Devils have a lot of cap space so we'll see who they can grab in Free Agency.

I don't expect anything amazing from the Devils next year at all, but with Schneider in net, and Henrique, Hall, etc up front, things are looking up.

Anyone read that Adam Henrique AMA on Reddit a few days ago? He's a funny dude.

Regarding the Canucks, I'm so glad they are out of the Lucic sweepstakes. Whatever contract and money that guy wants is not going to be good for the team that lands him. He's likely going to Edmonton as well, considering they traded Hall.

Hopefully the Canucks can land Eriksson and give the Sedins that instant chemistry they found at the World's. They have really needed someone consistent on their wing, who can also produce on another line. Vrbata was never that guy, really. He was only consistent when with the Sedins, and only with them. Burrows was the third twin for a long time, but he kind of died off and has fallen into more of the checking role that he was in in his early Canuck years with Kesler.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

I'm pretty damn pumped to see what kind of chemistry and success Taylor Hall and Beau Bennett can bring to the table in New Jersey. I don't think the Devils have had a player as skilled as Hall since Kovalchuk.

Also, the Devils have a lot of cap space so we'll see who they can grab in Free Agency.

I don't expect anything amazing from the Devils next year at all, but with Schneider in net, and Henrique, Hall, etc up front, things are looking up.

Anyone read that Adam Henrique AMA on Reddit a few days ago? He's a funny dude.

Regarding the Canucks, I'm so glad they are out of the Lucic sweepstakes. Whatever contract and money that guy wants is not going to be good for the team that lands him. He's likely going to Edmonton as well, considering they traded Hall.

Hopefully the Canucks can land Eriksson and give the Sedins that instant chemistry they found at the World's. They have really needed someone consistent on their wing, who can also produce on another line. Vrbata was never that guy, really. He was only consistent when with the Sedins, and only with them. Burrows was the third twin for a long time, but he kind of died off and has fallen into more of the checking role that he was in in his early Canuck years with Kesler.

If they Canucks can get one of Ladd/Okposo/Boedker/Eriksson and one of Helm/Brouwer/Martin I would be ecstatic but I still wouldn't be surprised if Benning throws the most money towards Lucic in a last ditch effort to sign him. If it is even true that the Canucks are out on him.

3 hours ago, Dangles13 said:

You will be happy with him. I hate when he whines to the refs but he is a pure joy to watch, full speed up and down the ice all game and he can win games by himself.

I won't have a problem with how he plays, but he is the opposite for Jordin Tootoo for me. I hate Tootoo on the ice, but off the ice he seems like an okay guy.

50 minutes ago, brovy said:

If they Canucks can get one of Ladd/Okposo/Boedker/Eriksson and one of Helm/Brouwer/Martin I would be ecstatic but I still wouldn't be surprised if Benning throws the most money towards Lucic in a last ditch effort to sign him. If it is even true that the Canucks are out on him.

Apparently Martin hasn't been approached by Vancouver. Only 3 Canadian teams have talked to him (CGY, EDM, OTT).

1 hour ago, brovy said:

I doubt Canucks can land Okposo. I mean, I would be fucking ecstatic to have him come here, but I just don't see it. I feel like he'll stay east coast.

Ladd there could be a chance, since he's a hometown boy, but who knows. Eriksson has that Sedin chemistry, but who knows. Boedker would be fucking cool I think, especially with the Danish factor of Jannik Hansen/Mikkel Boedker. Then we can bring in Frans Nielsen and have a triple Dane line. I would love to have Nielsen as well, but I really don't see it happening.

23 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I doubt Canucks can land Okposo. I mean, I would be fucking ecstatic to have him come here, but I just don't see it. I feel like he'll stay east coast.

Ladd there could be a chance, since he's a hometown boy, but who knows. Eriksson has that Sedin chemistry, but who knows. Boedker would be fucking cool I think, especially with the Danish factor of Jannik Hansen/Mikkel Boedker. Then we can bring in Frans Nielsen and have a triple Dane line. I would love to have Nielsen as well, but I really don't see it happening.

If I'm the Canucks I'd hope Backes and Brouwer were #1 and #2 priority. As a Devils fan I want Neilsen and Helm.

22 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

If I'm the Canucks I'd hope Backes and Brouwer were #1 and #2 priority. As a Devils fan I want Neilsen and Helm.

Backes should be priority. I think it would be funny too, but it would basically be a big F U to Brandon Sutter. He came to fill up that #2 C slot, and Backes would basically usurp him there. Nothing wrong with a Sutter-Backes line though. Sutter-Backes-Brouwer would be tough as hell.

32 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Backes should be priority. I think it would be funny too, but it would basically be a big F U to Brandon Sutter. He came to fill up that #2 C slot, and Backes would basically usurp him there. Nothing wrong with a Sutter-Backes line though. Sutter-Backes-Brouwer would be tough as hell.

Backes is a right winger who plays center, so it wouldn't really be a F U at all.

34 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Backes is a right winger who plays center, so it wouldn't really be a F U at all.

Yeah, but I can just see Backes taking over that role that Sutter was supposed to fill. Just seems like something that will happen.

There are definitely names I want to bring to Vancouver, but I don't want too much. I'd kind of rather slowly transition some of the prospects into the NHL. Gaunce should be ready, and Granlund as well. Maybe even Boeser can make the team, who knows. I think Boeser is at least another year off though. Then you have guys like Etem and Baertschi that are still on the team fighting for a permanent spot.

31 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, but I can just see Backes taking over that role that Sutter was supposed to fill. Just seems like something that will happen.

There are definitely names I want to bring to Vancouver, but I don't want too much. I'd kind of rather slowly transition some of the prospects into the NHL. Gaunce should be ready, and Granlund as well. Maybe even Boeser can make the team, who knows. I think Boeser is at least another year off though. Then you have guys like Etem and Baertschi that are still on the team fighting for a permanent spot.

I doubt Baertschi is "fighting for a permanent spot" now that he signed a 2 year one-way contract deal a couple days ago. Granlund is kind of already on the roster as well in terms of staying or not. Gaunce to me doesn't even seem NHL ready, not sure what people are looking at.

13 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I doubt Baertschi is "fighting for a permanent spot" now that he signed a 2 year one-way contract deal a couple days ago. Granlund is kind of already on the roster as well in terms of staying or not. Gaunce to me doesn't even seem NHL ready, not sure what people are looking at.

I mean, Baertschi made the team, sure. But there's still a chance he doesn't cut it. I think the two year is sort of a bridge deal to see how he performs. He's definitely looked better in Vancouver than he ever did in Calgary.

As for Granlund, I can't really speak much for him. He's been a decent checker, and that's basically what they're asking of him. I think he probably made the team as well. I'm glad they let the other fringe guys go like Kenins and Vey. We have enough bottom six depth.

Gaunce I think is finally ready this season. Obviously, we will have to see. I like what I've seen from him in Utica though.

37 minutes ago, brovy said:

Radulov is going backwards? He had the best skill set out of any free agent available lol.

David Backes says hello. Most teams would rather him than Rad any day. I'm not saying I don't think taking the chance on him is fine. But they took a chance on Semin last year and it didn't pay out. To go along with the Weber deal MTL just sort of confuses me. Perhaps that defensive depth is better than people have been giving it credit for but it very much feels like your GM thinks you were one or two players away from a Cup. While you can never say never in the NHL, even talking with a Canadien fan in @Advantage the consensus seemed to be that there were still a few more issues on the team that he'd like to see addressed, and I don't really know if these very "win right now" moves are the ones that make the most sense. But we'll see. 

51 minutes ago, brovy said:

Radulov is going backwards? He had the best skill set out of any free agent available lol.

Well thats all fun and games but you keeps love to leave out the issues their personalities have. Radulov had amazing skill in Nashville as well, what happened there? This guy is a cancer and he is a Alex Semin with a bit more skill, 5x the salary and a worse personality.

51 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

David Backes says hello. Most teams would rather him than Rad any day. I'm not saying I don't think taking the chance on him is fine. But they took a chance on Semin last year and it didn't pay out. To go along with the Weber deal MTL just sort of confuses me. Perhaps that defensive depth is better than people have been giving it credit for but it very much feels like your GM thinks you were one or two players away from a Cup. While you can never say never in the NHL, even talking with a Canadien fan in @Advantage the consensus seemed to be that there were still a few more issues on the team that he'd like to see addressed, and I don't really know if these very "win right now" moves are the ones that make the most sense. But we'll see. 

I actually think signing Radulov is brilliant.  Low risk and his talent is on a far different level than Semins was last year.  Semins speed was shot too.

Its a prove yourself contract but he was likely the most offensively talented ufa.

40 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Well thats all fun and games but you keeps love to leave out the issues their personalities have. Radulov had amazing skill in Nashville as well, what happened there? This guy is a cancer and he is a Alex Semin with a bit more skill, 5x the salary and a worse personality.

He is married now and is bringing his family to live in Montreal.  Im really not worried about his past mistakes creeping in now.

10 minutes ago, Advantage said:

He is married now and is bringing his family to live in Montreal.  Im really not worried about his past mistakes creeping in now.

We will see what happens, not a LR that likes personalities as far as they've shown thus far.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

We will see what happens, not a LR that likes personalities as far as they've shown thus far.

No that is true.  But they are a lineup that desperately needs goals and a scary talent up front...Alexander Radulov can provide that.