Why do no FAs want to come to Cologne?

RomanesEuntDomus

Your reason(s) for not joining Cologne  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe that's why - you guys play victim every chance you get..

Well not really. Yeah we've been upset over FA's but in no way do we say. Fuck this league hates us. Do we think FA's don't want to sign here? Not exactly we just think they want different situation.

Countless times I've heard "I don't think you have a chance to compete" or "I wouldn't fit in the lines", but thats far from the truth. I looked at our roster now and saw a roster that has a chance to compete but are one player away. So after awhile those excuses just become somewhat lies or ways of trying to politely say no. Trust me, I get where you are coming from. However I think a Gm would rather just hear a FA say "No" instead of making a stupid silly excuse that they don't truly mean. for example, Fong speaks highly of me and says he'd sign here however over history of Fong ever being on FA with any of his players, he has always turned down contracts I've offered. His opinion is his and it's respected but there comes a time when one feels that's just an excuse for not going on your word.

Here's the thing. As a GM your only real job is to be a promoter, and market your team as a desirable place to play. When you constantly remind everyone how no one ever wants to play with and for you, you are positioning your franchise to be branded as a place nobody wants to go. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Instead of wasting your energy on listing out all the players who have expressed interest and then left, talk about the players you have and focus on the positives. By focusing on the negatives, you're playing victim. 

You make some fair points Kendrick but I honestly just think Cologne has been stuck in the proverbial rock and a hard place since coming into the league. Getting quality players on your team is a mixture of luck, patience, and a give and take of caution and risk. You've had tons of those situations play out but for various reasons things never went your way. I think you've drafted well, sure a couple of meh trades but most of your trades are to try and get players more active or put them on teams you want. For the early seasons you struggled to find a goalie, now Chekhov has turned out well. But your right, you guys are one player away from taking the big step. 

You are either one or two players away and everybody is selling and you don't have the picks to trade or in this situation you are one or two players away but who is selling players this year? Specifically of the kind you need? Always a tough situation. Sometimes things just don't work out and it sucks. I think it puts more pressure on the FA case because of these facts. Other teams lose out on FA but due to different circumstances have improved their squads other ways. But your not the only case example of that. Other than Pensfan who has Vasteras really gotten? I mean they are the pure definition of a franchise that seems stuck either as a unlikely playoff contender or just outside of the playoffs. Since rebuilding Seattle has been stuck in limbo as well. Acquiring and trading the same players back and forth and dealing with building a drafted roster while trying to keep the older players happy and sticking around lest they test FA. I hate to say it but I do think a lot of teams in the league are going to have to consider or looking at rebuilding without having won a Cup in the time since they competed. If the Legion can't win a Cup in the next couple seasons they will be in the exact same boat. It's easy for teams like Riga/NY/Calgary to commit to rebuilding when they have won a Cup in the last 5 seasons. You don't feel like the run was as wasted. 

Ultimately though FA is only one facet of the league. It can play an important factor if it goes your way for sure. But I just think the issue at hand here is how few players test FA and how the state of the league can really affect the amount of options a team and a GM really has. If you think about it save for Riga/NY the league is pretty much filled with middle of the pack teams that are trying to "break" the cusp and become contenders. Seattle, Vasteras, Cologne, Davos. Then you have a team like Toronto who arguably is even in that same category, on the cusp with very little star power but tons of depth. Helsinki kind of represents Calgary from seasons past with some star power players but not a lot of positions. Quebec is lucky enough to continue to be the top team simply because of the luck of the cap draw with everyone other than the retired player able to stick around. The point though is that being a middle of the pack team and wondering if your ever going to be able to go from a competitive team to a contender is something the majority of teams in the league deal with. 

Edited by Devise22

Here's the thing. As a GM your only real job is to be a promoter, and market your team as a desirable place to play. When you constantly remind everyone how no one ever wants to play with and for you, you are positioning your franchise to be branded as a place nobody wants to go. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Instead of wasting your energy on listing out all the players who have expressed interest and then left, talk about the players you have and focus on the positives. By focusing on the negatives, you're playing victim. 

I realize what you're saying. I'm just telling you that after 6 seasons it gets really frustrating. I mean it can be golden for so many years for some guys, some guys it can be golden for a season. I personally have not had 1 year where I am happy so that's why I'm both hard on my teammates and hard on myself to be able to compete. Oh well, shit happens and moving on sometimes is the best medicine. Devise is right, it's only one facet but it does get frustrating having to trade assets for assets when other teams seem to get them for free.

Kendrick is like Glen Sather maybe. No luck in FA signings but is excellent in bringing in personnel via trades and drafts :)

That wouldn't make sense seeing as Sather does get FA's, he overpays them in fact. I don't know what Glen Sather you are looking at

You make some fair points Kendrick but I honestly just think Cologne has been stuck in the proverbial rock and a hard place since coming into the league. Getting quality players on your team is a mixture of luck, patience, and a give and take of caution and risk. You've had tons of those situations play out but for various reasons things never went your way. I think you've drafted well, sure a couple of meh trades but most of your trades are to try and get players more active or put them on teams you want. For the early seasons you struggled to find a goalie, now Chekhov has turned out well. But your right, you guys are one player away from taking the big step. 

You are either one or two players away and everybody is selling and you don't have the picks to trade or in this situation you are one or two players away but who is selling players this year? Specifically of the kind you need? Always a tough situation. Sometimes things just don't work out and it sucks. I think it puts more pressure on the FA case because of these facts. Other teams lose out on FA but due to different circumstances have improved their squads other ways. But your not the only case example of that. Other than Pensfan who has Vasteras really gotten? I mean they are the pure definition of a franchise that seems stuck either as a unlikely playoff contender or just outside of the playoffs. Since rebuilding Seattle has been stuck in limbo as well. Acquiring and trading the same players back and forth and dealing with building a drafted roster while trying to keep the older players happy and sticking around lest they test FA. I hate to say it but I do think a lot of teams in the league are going to have to consider or looking at rebuilding without having won a Cup in the time since they competed. If the Legion can't win a Cup in the next couple seasons they will be in the exact same boat. It's easy for teams like Riga/NY/Calgary to commit to rebuilding when they have won a Cup in the last 5 seasons. You don't feel like the run was as wasted. 

Ultimately though FA is only one facet of the league. It can play an important factor if it goes your way for sure. But I just think the issue at hand here is how few players test FA and how the state of the league can really affect the amount of options a team and a GM really has. If you think about it save for Riga/NY the league is pretty much filled with middle of the pack teams that are trying to "break" the cusp and become contenders. Seattle, Vasteras, Cologne, Davos. Then you have a team like Toronto who arguably is even in that same category, on the cusp with very little star power but tons of depth. Helsinki kind of represents Calgary from seasons past with some star power players but not a lot of positions. Quebec is lucky enough to continue to be the top team simply because of the luck of the cap draw with everyone other than the retired player able to stick around. The point though is that being a middle of the pack team and wondering if your ever going to be able to go from a competitive team to a contender is something the majority of teams in the league deal with. 

tl; dr

I think this is probably scaring some free agents away.

Yeah scaring away free agents by asking to play with the RoTY. Sorry everyone is some cocky asshole who wants to be the only person on the team. I just won't be a teammate and become this rampaging dickhead and be like, "No don't come to Cologne. Fuck you, you aren't worthy to team with the best."

Yeah scaring away free agents by asking to play with the RoTY. Sorry everyone is some cocky asshole who wants to be the only person on the team. I just won't be a teammate and become this rampaging dickhead and be like, "No don't come to Cologne. Fuck you, you aren't worthy to team with the best."

Just because you were Rookie of the Year doesn't mean you are a superstar who everyone wants to play with. The attitude you're giving when posting right now is a contributing factor to why someone might not want to play on your team.

Just because you were Rookie of the Year doesn't mean you are a superstar who everyone wants to play with. The attitude you're giving when posting right now is a contributing factor to why someone might not want to play on your team.

Congrats. Did I ever say I wanted anyone to play here? No. I am doing it for Kendrick an Cologne. Personally you can all go shove it for whatever it's worth. I really don't care.