Claimed:My VHLM Experience Continues To Be The Worst

Tagger

1 hour ago, Mr. Power said:

I love the idea in principle so much, but it just falls apart in execution. We already are only surviving in the VHL because we are getting an influx of two players coming in next season. We have one of the worst seasons in record going here for parity. If we make it too encouraging for players to stay in the VHLM for multiple seasons then what happens when VHL teams need players that otherwise are spending time in the VHLM? 

Maybe some middle ground, where people are entitled to spend one extra season in the VHLM at no cost to their career, but then you start getting complicated in terms of tracking. Because what season do we qualify you? If your a S51 draftee, who spends an extra seasons in the VHLM your VHL career isn't starting until S52. But your page will still say 51, and then depreciation is supposed to hit at a certain season. All of this mucks the entire system up. I'm not saying we couldn't find a way to organize it for it to make sense, but is it worth it just so people can freely spend one more season in the VHLM? Also does it lead to an influx of players maxing out at the attribute cap of 175 TPE in the VHLM playing and dominating forcing even more harsh new experiences for those who aren't on the benefit of a good team? 

That is the thing, it's very easy to say "there is something wrong with this." And while I myself certainly appreciate that critique, trying to translate that into some sort of solid idea that can be executed well isn't always that easy. Hence why we've seen so many changes in the VHLM. 

All that said, I'm open to looking at a way to enable people to spend two seasons in the VHLM for free that doesn't make things overly complex. But I don't think allowing unlimited seasons is in the best interest of our league. 

Devise, I get that the system is the way it is because it minimizes the negative effects for all parties involved. I think you just way over-interpreted what I said. What I was writing was just my personal point of view: If I have to make a choice whether to spend an additional season in the minors and said additional year means I have a pro year less to play, then it's a no brainer for me. Any time, at any place that I take seriously. Since my pro career is cut off after eight years no matter what here, I have to make a decision and it will always be in the benefit of 8 VHL seasons and not 2 full VHLM seasons.

30 minutes ago, stevo said:

Devise, I get that the system is the way it is because it minimizes the negative effects for all parties involved. I think you just way over-interpreted what I said. What I was writing was just my personal point of view: If I have to make a choice whether to spend an additional season in the minors and said additional year means I have a pro year less to play, then it's a no brainer for me. Any time, at any place that I take seriously. Since my pro career is cut off after eight years no matter what here, I have to make a decision and it will always be in the benefit of 8 VHL seasons and not 2 full VHLM seasons.

I wasn't trying to state that you don't have a point, and I know my walls of texts are a grind but I did say I'm open to finding a way to make it work. I think @Kendrick highlights a way we could do it, and a 3 season maximum for sticking down intentionally. I also wonder if we do it, do we say the VHLM TPE cap is 199 Kendrick? I mean, if we want to promote VHLM activity and interest, and keep people their longer allowing people to get closer to 250-300 is probably more inclusive. I mean yes you face fears of early domination of new members, but if anything it should encourage those new members to earn so they to have a turn to dominate the VHLM and stay in their longer. 

You could even still have the players drafted to to the VHL the season in which they are listed and work with their GM's. I mean we could just flat out say that you have to have at least 200 TPE to be called up, and that the attribute cap for VHLM TPE is 250, and that your forced to go up when you have 300 TPE. That seems fair across the board, since we wouldn't be allowing people to dominate in terms of TPE numbers and staying down and trying to inflate their VHL rookie season. That is because most top rookies enter the VHL with 300+ TPE. 

I take full responsibility in not trading you obviously and that I couldn't swallow my pride and trade you for less than what you are worth which is the 3rd best goalie in the VHLM. i pulled a Mike Gillis when he wouldnt trade Roberto Luongo. but you live and learn and maybe next time I should just trade a player to a contending team even if it is for less then i deem fair value.

For that @YEAH!stlemania I am truly sorry I could not do this and trade you.  

13 hours ago, Smarch said:

You're 100% out of line attacking the one guy that's made suggestions both in public and in private about the league.  I understand your mad and sticking up for the league but you don't have a leg to stand on here

I decided a long time ago as I've said that I'm sticking up for the VHLM, and I'm not going to stop that because the guy who is trashing it is well respected. Either way, I'm going inactive so you wont have to hear it anymore

4 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

I decided a long time ago as I've said that I'm sticking up for the VHLM, and I'm not going to stop that because the guy who is trashing it is well respected. Either way, I'm going inactive so you wont have to hear it anymore

No one cares if you defend it, you're more than welcome to. Coming at me aggressively and telling me to "do something about it instead of whining all the fucking time," when, as others have pointed out - I've made numerous suggestions to improve it, is where you're off base. 

I have very similar experiences in the VHLM as YEAH! My first player I created I went inactive with in the VHLM. I went inactive in the VHLM with my second player as well, although I wrote for the mag with that player and wrote multiple articles about improvements the league could make to the VHLM. When I was the mag editor I hired two writers to cover only the VHLM, to get it more coverage in the VHL Magazine - when it had been relegated to the VHLM Mag before that and then dead in the water entirely. I suggested the two player change, which puts more bodies in the VHLM. I've suggested they change the rules that make VHLM seasons count against your career multiple times, because it makes players try to leave the VHLM as soon as possible, instead of encouraging them to develop there. 

The VHLM sucks. That's my opinion and obviously others' as well, due to this entire post. I will maintain that opinion until the league does something to fix it. I've continued to do what I can in the VHL - make suggestions. I don't have the power to change anything myself. 

21 hours ago, Smarch said:

I was a vhlm gm a while back and got flack for trading for actives in a non compete year to give them a better vhlm experience, so I learned the hard way people don't like that

People who think the VHLM is about winning are wrong.

22 hours ago, Phil said:

I've never come close to winning an individual award or team award in the VHLM... and that doesn't help my animosity for it haha

We almost won last year, but you didn't step it up when it mattered

Just now, sterling said:

We almost won last year, but you didn't step it up when it mattered

We had just you and me. And you didn't have a player, just your GM skillz. So really it was just me.

And who the fuck would be stupid enough to entrust ME to step up?