Breaking Bad is Over

Mike

Yeah, I can totally see a zombie apocalypse happening. :facepalm:

And as Noah said, most of Game of Thrones IS inspired by real events.  It's probably the most accurate portrayal of how the MIddle Ages actually were.  The magical fantasy aspect takes such a backseat that you hardly notice it.  The only time it actually comes up is to shit your pants.

The only reason one can dislike Game of Thrones is if they haven't actually seen it.  Watch the first 2-5 episodes and tell me it sucks, and I'll believe you're not just talking out of your ass.

I have watched 4 episodes for your information and to me it seems like complete shit.

In all honesty, while I did like the show and watched it from beginning to end, I do agree with alfie in that I can't see what sets this heads above other shows.

People who watch shows to see constant plot moving forward at the expense of characters are generally not big on pure character shows such as Breaking Bad. They like TV usually more so for unpredictable holy shit moments. While BB had some of that sprinkled in it really shines in episodes most find boring. The slow heavily intense character episodes early in the first season are a pure example of this. Walt alone struggling with his pride, his life, getting cancer and his family to me was so engagingly. Episodes of Walt and Jesse stranded as they explore the depths of their patience also just great to me.

For others that stuff is dull because very little happens. But those who do find BB mind blowing generally do because when you spend so much investment making your characters feel like real people with real growing organic personalities and issues when you get to the holy shit moments they hit so much harder. I've seen a million shoot outs in action movies and other shows but when it happens in BB its gutwrenching. I feel the emotion because bullets are being fired by and at more than just superficial plot pieces, but by people who the show has worked so hard to make me believe exist. Some have a much easier time investing and suspending their critical mind but I know for me that is what set BB apart. Its commitment to spending time making the characters feel real.

What Devise said.  While there were a few episodes that were still pretty boring despite everything they were going for (THE FLYYY OH MY FUCKING GAWD), everything is just so captivating.  There is literally not a single useless detail in any episode.  You compare this shit to Dexter, especially toward the end, and you can clearly see what one show did right and the other botched.  The writers for Dexter clearly didn't know what they fuck they were doing, judging by how they'd introduce plot points and characters and later have no idea how to develop either.  Breaking Bad was consistent throughout, and had a very clear upward arc as the story progressed.

And like Devise said, it actually made you give a shit about the characters, even the cursory ones like Gomez, and Huele.  That's part of the reason Game of Thrones is so brilliant (especially the books).  That show throws like, 7000 different characters at you, and makes you invest something into each one.  Most people didn't even know Jory Cassel's name, but when Jaime stabbed him in the eye you were like, "awwhhh..."  That's one of the reasons the Red Wedding was so powerful.  Not just because it was a complete out of left field turn of events, but because it happened to the people you actually REALLY gave a shit about.  Even if it had happened to the main villains of the show, it would still leave you completely speechless (though less sad).  If it had happened to a group of mostly nameless extras you'd probably just high five each other and grab another popcorn.  Breaking Bad does the exact same thing.

And that's how you talk about how amazing Game of Thrones is to make a point to how amazing Breaking Bad is.

Just watched it from start to finish

Spoiler Alert:

Breaking bad, Game of Thrones, Misfits, are good

Lost, Walking dead, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men are bad

But really, i may be too quick to judge. I do plan on giving the walking dead a full watch through to see what all the fuss is about

• Admin

I think what particularly puts Game of Thrones ahead of Breaking Bad for me is the fact that there are multiple parallel storylines. Breaking Bad has just a fraction of characters over five seasons that Game of Thrones has in each one. Some people find lots of characters confusing but I love multi-dimensional storylines.

Is television really so bad that this is considered mind blowingly good?

Um what? 

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

That post makes you look very ignorant, just so you know. Obviously Breaking Bad has artificially high ratings given it just ended, but there's no denying it's among the top TV shows of all time. 

It's cool if it's not your cup of tea, because not everyone will enjoy it. Breaking Bad is a wonderfully written show with superb acting and no open loops left at the end of the series. The writers did a phenomenal job of tying everything together (complete opposite from shows like Dexter). 

What most appeals to me about Breaking Bad is the flawed nature of every single character in the show (mins Breakfast Junior). Each character is so real and relate-able, and Walt's character development from high school chemistry teacher to motherfucking bad ass meth cooker is amazing. Sometimes you find yourself sympathizing with Walt, even though he's "breaking bad" (so to speak) and other times you sort of hate the guy. The characters are wonderfully dynamic and multi-layered which few shows have been capable of replicating. I still think Tony Soprano is the ultimate character in TV show history, but Walt is done almost nearly as well.

I think some people may struggle to appreciate the emphasis on character development, wanting only the gut-wrenching, heart-beating cliff hangers that all TV shows now want. Breaking Bad has it's fair share of them though and does them very well. I found myself almost hating Walt's wife for trying to protect the family. I hated a women who was trying to protect her family, which is ludicrous. I loved Gustavo Fring, the mass murder and manufacturer of the largest meth organization in the South. You find yourself hating/rooting for people you normally never would or who do not deserve it. 

Anyway, I'll end my rambling by saying it truly is a great TV show that deserves a place in my top 3 TV shows of all time (along with many others).

• Admin

Um what? 

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

That post makes you look very ignorant, just so you know. Obviously Breaking Bad has artificially high ratings given it just ended, but there's no denying it's among the top TV shows of all time. 

It's cool if it's not your cup of tea, because not everyone will enjoy it. Breaking Bad is a wonderfully written show with superb acting and no open loops left at the end of the series. The writers did a phenomenal job of tying everything together (complete opposite from shows like Dexter). 

What most appeals to me about Breaking Bad is the flawed nature of every single character in the show (mins Breakfast Junior). Each character is so real and relate-able, and Walt's character development from high school chemistry teacher to motherfucking bad ass meth cooker is amazing. Sometimes you find yourself sympathizing with Walt, even though he's "breaking bad" (so to speak) and other times you sort of hate the guy. The characters are wonderfully dynamic and multi-layered which few shows have been capable of replicating. I still think Tony Soprano is the ultimate character in TV show history, but Walt is done almost nearly as well.

I think some people may struggle to appreciate the emphasis on character development, wanting only the gut-wrenching, heart-beating cliff hangers that all TV shows now want. Breaking Bad has it's fair share of them though and does them very well. I found myself almost hating Walt's wife for trying to protect the family. I hated a women who was trying to protect her family, which is ludicrous. I loved Gustavo Fring, the mass murder and manufacturer of the largest meth organization in the South. You find yourself hating/rooting for people you normally never would or who do not deserve it. 

Anyway, I'll end my rambling by saying it truly is a great TV show that deserves a place in my top 3 TV shows of all time (along with many others).

The only thing that post makes me ignorant of is the low quality of television because I barely watch it which is exactly what I said. You've just proven my point. Breaking Bad is considered mind-blowingly good because everything else is shit. That's what I said. I didn't say it was bad, I didn't say the acting was bad.

I watched all of Game of Thrones and it's meh. Shit is taking way too long to happen.

You're right. I mean, they did pretty much kill off the main protagonist in S1, and then 75% of his family in S3. Nothing ever happens.

The dialogue in the shows we're talking about here (Breaking Bad, GoT) is top notch and undeniably smart.

• Admin

If people don't like breaking bad I'm curious as to what other shows people do like?  Alfie likes GOT but doesn't like Breaking bad what other shows do you like?

I don't watch TV much, especially don't like getting hooked on long-lasting shows. Game of Thrones was the biggest mistake of my life.

Ok Sandro, I love Avatar and the Legend of Korra, but if you try and say they're better than Game of fucking Thrones you belong in a crazy house.

I believe I've been the first person to say that I'm fucking crazy. But ATLA is fucking amazing. I love Game of Thrones but elements of the series wear out their welcome to a degree. As soon as I found out ATLA was on Netflix I watched the entire thing in two and a half days.

I don't watch TV much, especially don't like getting hooked on long-lasting shows. Game of Thrones was the biggest mistake of my life.

Ok if you don't watch much tv then you don't even belong in this thread as your arguments are invalid.

You're right. I mean, they did pretty much kill off the main protagonist in S1, and then 75% of his family in S3. Nothing ever happens.

I was about to call friends off for this section of your post until an incredibly belated realization that it was sarcasm.