VHL awards poll (should we get rid of ...)

scoop

VHL awards poll  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Commissioner

Yes to both. Replace Leadership with Offensive Defenseman and replace Sportsmanlike with Lowest GAA. That's my opinion on the matter anyway.

I voted no, but we could rework them into something more meaningful and/or less arbitrary. Maybe even combine them.

Also while winning Most Sportsmanlike is quite random, people who build two-way players essentially give up that award. Otherwise there would be no disadvantage to putting points in checking (unless you just felt you wanted less PIMs in general. In which case, if people feel having few PIMs is important, what's wrong with there being an award for it?)

• Head Moderator

Voted yes because the following descriptions (paraphrased) are currently in the VHL hall of fame under each of the two awards in question:

Mikka Virkkunen Trophy (Sportsmanlike) - "...deemed to be most sportsmanlike" and "...well-respected figure"

ie. stay around long enough and not have people hate you (why I'll never win... yolo)

Grimm Jonsson Trophy (Leader) - "...deemed to be top leader on his team" and "...magnificent leader"

ie. the lebron james "come to my team because I have a lot of TPE" award

So really they are member awards, not player awards.  Make it measurable or quantitative, or even  player-related, and then we're talking.

Edited by frescoelmo

14 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

Voted yes because the following descriptions (paraphrased) are currently in the VHL hall of fame under each of the two awards in question:

Mikka Virkkunen Trophy (Sportsmanlike) - "...deemed to be most sportsmanlike" and "...well-respected figure"

ie. stay around long enough and not have people hate you (why I'll never win... yolo)

Grimm Jonsson Trophy (Leader) - "...deemed to be top leader on his team" and "...magnificent leader"

ie. the lebron james "come to my team because I have a lot of TPE" award

So really they are member awards, not player awards.  Make it measurable or quantitative, or even  player-related, and then we're talking.

Pretty sure most sportsmanlike refers to the player, as in PiM. 

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Streetlite said:

That's certainly what it has turned into, no doubt.

If that's the means of justifying it then that's fine for the award...  not really stated anywhere though (that I can see).

13 minutes ago, der meister said:

Then it's just another popularity contest. At least including PiMs narrows the field

It doesn't really narrow the field so much as it restricts people from making bruisers lol.

10 minutes ago, tfong said:

It doesn't really narrow the field so much as it restricts people from making bruisers lol.

Do people really make players gunning for the most sportsmanlike award, though? And we do have a top two-way forward award that rewards heavy hitters.

12 minutes ago, der meister said:

Do people really make players gunning for the most sportsmanlike award, though? And we do have a top two-way forward award that rewards heavy hitters.

Well not really, but presuming one wants to keep the award around I mean.

1 hour ago, der meister said:

I wanted Naomi Young to win it :(. Making your skater bigger allegedly increases his likelihood to hit people, so I made her tiny and put no points into Checking. But I was too cheap to spend points on Discipline, and wasn't a great player besides, so it never worked out...

10 hours ago, Beketov said:

Yes to both. Replace Leadership with Offensive Defenseman and replace Sportsmanlike with Lowest GAA. That's my opinion on the matter anyway.

GAA sucks. I am just here to spread the Anti-GAA gospel.

Also, i voted in lieu of my associate.