Game of Thrones

Victor

You know work is depressing when it's preventing me from gushing about Thrones!

I feel like this season so far is kind of punctuating how A. They maybe shouldn't have strayed TOO far from the books, and B. They probably could have used more than 13 episodes to end the series. There's lots of action and shit happening, which is cool, but there is details that just get glossed over, especially when it comes to travel and such, and how a woman who is aggressively practicing domestic terrorism and alienated every single person on Planetos still has any support at all, and how she gets a navy and a scorpion and suddenly she's just steamrolling Dany with her own larger navy made up of her own Ironborn, plus three full-sized armies. There's a fair amount more I could nitpick at, but I don't want to be too negative. Game of Thrones was always a show that was even more enjoyable if you thought about it, but sadly it is straying away from that.

That said, it has been a very enjoyable season thus far. Like I said, the plot is moving forward very rapidly, which is very entertaining. The Brotherhood scenes were awesome, carried by the Hound, I'm looking forward to getting some White Walker action going again, Bran is a creepy fuck I don't like it, Littlefinger is a creepy fuck I'm neutral to it, Euron is a scary fuck I mostly love it (but give the man a damn eyepatch!), Jaime and Theon's arcs have been stalled for a bit, but hopefully Olenna's mic drop kicks Jaime's into full gear. Which speaking of which, she is always a pleasure to watch. As is Jon Snow and co. Looking forward to Arya reuniting with her fam jam, and I'd be severely disappointed if that's the last we saw of Nymeria and the wolfpack!

I thought last episode was pretty good. Initially I was kind of upset because I really wanted to see a good battle for Casterly Rock, because I'm that guy that's like "OMG AWESOME BAttle" 

But a few things I really liked:

Varys speech to Dany about supporting the realm, and also him threatening Fire Lady

Every scene with Olenna Tyrell is a great scene. Love that actress.

Clever move by the Lannisters to give up the rock and leave it with no food. I think the show has done a good job of evening the odds without anything ridiculous happening. It's feasible that the Greyjob fleet could destroy Dany's, and also the Lannisters have some great generals in Randal Tarly and Jaime and Bronn. 

Thing I didn't like:

Why is Cersei and Euron suddenly so loved by the peasants? Cersei blew up the sept and most of the peasants loved that religion. Also, they were already starving before the Tyrell's brought food, now that the Tyrells aren't bringing in food shouldn't the peasants be starving again? 

• Admin
On 8/4/2017 at 5:21 AM, eaglesfan036 said:

Cersei blew up the sept and most of the peasants loved that religion.

Do they know it was Cersei? Do they care? Sounds like Tarly support and whatever else is left in the Reach is enough to keep King's Landing fed.

The love of Euron was overkill, as is Euron's speed of travel but I've started ignoring that since Varys' little teleport to Dorne and back. Although to be fair no one said an episode is 1-2 days, some chronological differences are allowable. That doesn't explain all the plot holes but I give the show a bit of leeway since it's still fucking good entertainment.

And that episode was vintage GoT really. The tactics behind all the moves, from Tyrion devising a plan into Casterly Rock to then Jaime/Cersei handing his ass to him and his plan takes me back to peak Stark v Lannister strategy. That said, it does feel like the classic villain-on-top-before-downfall arc. Yeah, GoT goes against many customs but you think how High Sparrow seemed untouchable midway through S6 and here we are. Tis a cruel series but no way Cersei comes out on top in the end.

Whole ep was rather strong in my opinion. We got some real good Stark scenes, I think really with the exception of Jon their big thing is being together helps sell them a lot more. When the focus is apart I don't know with the exception of Arya there has been a lot of "meh". Although Bran is basically fucking Charles Xaiver right? He can basically read peoples minds because he has seen everything that has happened and will happen. Conversations with him have that same type of "i'll wait for you to lecture me" tone that Xaiver has. Plus he's crippled, and now he has a chair to wheel around in despite it never have been invented before. What's next we going to take him to an ancient tree that has a magical device that he puts over his head that amplifies his powers? Treerebro! 

Anyway. That whole ep was strong and that ending fight scene was tense, dramatic, and did exactly what they wanted it to do. They want to make it hard for you to root for Dany because even though the people she was murdering was Lannisters and enemies, the way in which the Dragon is so effective and how that looks in battle is horrifying. It's nightmare, and it makes you wonder if possibly her story isn't be the hero but for (much like everything in Thrones btw) go Mad and become the Mad Queen. The whole "circular nature" of Thrones is something they keep hinting at more and more heavily. i think it's pretty evident that things just repeating again and again are possible. I have a feeling Bran is going to be the most pivotal character in the final episode of this show. ANYWAY. Strong ep, great stuff all around, was a nice quiet ep for the most part until the big battle scene which I think gave that moment so much more oomph. 

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

hot take: dragons suck

Like, aren't interesting to you in any way? Or like, man they burn shit everywhere so they'd really "suck" to have to deal with?

Or you trying to throw random shade hipster style? Which I mean cool if you are, your clearly wrong and all of that since the "OMG Thrones has jumped the shark" talk is pretty much just hyperbole at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Devise said:

Like, aren't interesting to you in any way? Or like, man they burn shit everywhere so they'd really "suck" to have to deal with?

Or you trying to throw random shade hipster style? Which I mean cool if you are, your clearly wrong and all of that since the "OMG Thrones has jumped the shark" talk is pretty much just hyperbole at this point. 

What? I just think they take away from the suspense. The last battle, to me, was overrated as hell by people because there was literally no other outcome except for slaughter of the Lannisters. The show would be better off without the dragons.

24 minutes ago, Tyler said:

What? I just think they take away from the suspense. The last battle, to me, was overrated as hell by people because there was literally no other outcome except for slaughter of the Lannisters. The show would be better off without the dragons.

But that isn't the point? The battles between Dany and Cersei and hell the entire "Game of Thrones" has all been pointless and was from the start. It's never been about who wins what where, it's been about dragons vs zombies. Everyone else just happens to be there.