Post-Expansion TPE Leader for Each Draft Position

Kendrick

mainpage2.gif

(Pictured Above: The VHL Historical section at the VHLHOF)

As inspired by a recent mock draft by @Salt, I have conducted a Post-Expansion related article that may interest some people. Of course I started with the first round for this issue but in the coming weeks I'm sure I will expand to the second and third round of TPE numbers. Keep in mind these statistics are as per the Retired Rosters section as well as some current Rosters that we see today. I have tagged each member who currently holds the record for most TPE by a draft position in the Post-Expansion era. Some greats weren't included as they may hold certain TPE records but were given to the a franchise as way of the "GM Rule" like Lord Karnage (@boubabi) or Jakub Kjellberg (@Sandro).

1st Overall: Phil Hamilton (@Phil) ~ Defensemen [S45] ~ 1459 TPE

Phil Hamilton was a stud in every sense of the word. Hamilton ranks among the top three in TPE all-time and is the first overall selection with the most TPE earned since the start of his career.

2nd Overall: Mason Richardson (@Kendrick) ~ Defensemen [S40] ~ 1307 TPE

Richardson was the second player selected in his draft year, but he turned out to also be second in TPE earning for his draft year. Thomas O'Malley went first overall and also had more TPE, but O'Malley was beaten by the previously mentioned Phil Hamilton.

3rd Overall: Tom Slaughter (@sterling) ~ Center [S37] ~ 1326 TPE

Slaughter was a beast offensively and surprisingly no third overall selection has surpassed Slaughter's career total of 1307 since he came into the league. Slaughter was a franchise centerman and one that saw many awards in his illustrious career in the VHL.

4th Overall: Tyson Kohler (@Kendrick) ~ Right Wing [S48] ~ 989 TPE

Kohler's career is the only one that is still active on this list and surprisingly it is the first entry we see that hasn't hit the grand plateau yet. Of course Kohler will pass it soon but it's interesting considering he is the third best player TPE-wise in his draft year.

5th Overall: Biggu Kyanon (@tfong) ~ Defensemen [S45] ~ 853 TPE

Remember when TFong said that he would claim welfare the entire career of Kyanon, well never believe TFong when he says that. He always does it to lower his draft stock. Kyanon didn't get to the 900 TPE mark but it doesn't matter as we think this one will be the easiest to surpass in the coming years.

6th Overall: Remy LeBeau (@Green) ~ Goaltender [S31] ~ 1301 TPE

Green does show up on our list eventually but it's one that dates back to the first year of expansion with the Legion grabbed the TPE-whore. It's the first goaltender entry on our list and we don't see this record being passed anytime soon.

7th Overall: Brennan McQueen (@Jamie) ~ Right Wing [S35] ~ 1051 TPE

Jamie is gone now (which sucks) but she created a damn good two-way forward after she had created a goaltender that didn't pan out. McQueen is a HOF and is also the best player ever selected in the seventh position.

8th Overall: Travis Boychuk (@DollarAndADream) ~ Centermen [S37] ~ 926 TPE

Boychuk was a godsend for the Wranglers because at eighth overall you aren't expecting much. However this first generation superstar went on to help the Wranglers and eventually some other teams have successful seasons with him down the middle.

9th Overall: Jarkko Olsen (@Molholt) ~ Right Wing [S33] ~ 762 TPE

The lowest of the TPE levels on this list, but great value at the ninth selection for the Riga Reign. Olsen went on to score many clutch playoff goals  capture the Continental Cup. Davos ended up praising this player in his final seasons.

10th Overall: Jody 3 Moons ( @gorlab) ~ Centerman [S40] ~ 931 TPE

Easy to overshadow someone like 3 Moons if you look at his draft year, but hard to to overshadow him when you see what type of value he was at the tenth spot. 3 Moons was a catalyst for many successful offensives in his career and also spurred more outrageous names in the VHL.

Edited by Kendrick

Woo, I'm an inspiration! 

From my research I did on this back in the day (think it was S44 I compiled it. I can confirm that Hamilton, Richardson and Slaughter are also the all-time TPE leaders of their draft position. Kyanon is fourth highest in TPE of fifth overalls behind Oliver Scarlett (1047), Miles Larsson (1041) and David Smalling (969). I think I did up to seventh overall and also did all GM rule players but unfortunately those are on an old computer, Picks 1-5 I have saved on the internet though so maybe I'll update them sometime. 

2 hours ago, Ahma said:

Valmount could've been up there instead of Molholt's player.

Not sure how that works since Valmount went fourth overall. 

On 23.3.2017 at 6:40 PM, Salt said:

Woo, I'm an inspiration! 

From my research I did on this back in the day (think it was S44 I compiled it. I can confirm that Hamilton, Richardson and Slaughter are also the all-time TPE leaders of their draft position. Kyanon is fourth highest in TPE of fifth overalls behind Oliver Scarlett (1047), Miles Larsson (1041) and David Smalling (969). I think I did up to seventh overall and also did all GM rule players but unfortunately those are on an old computer, Picks 1-5 I have saved on the internet though so maybe I'll update them sometime. 

Not sure how that works since Valmount went fourth overall. 

oh. I didn't bother reading that much into it haha

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Where's your buddy Brandon Best

Livin' life. He graduated from SFU back in December and is relaxing, hanging with his GF, looking for a job. Getting back into the YouTube game too. I'm done in a couple of weeks and think I've got a job locked down.

Edited by Sandro

2 hours ago, Sandro said:

Livin' life. He graduated from SFU back in December and is relaxing, hanging with his GF, looking for a job. Getting back into the YouTube game too. I'm done in a couple of weeks and think I've got a job locked down.

Congrats I guess. Didn't know you two were that much younger than me. I was high school class of 2010.

2 hours ago, Sandro said:

Did you want to share with the VHL world about your movie stuff?

Slaughter was a beast offensively and surprisingly no third overall selection has surpassed Slaughter's career total of 1307 since he came into the league. Slaughter was a franchise centerman and one that saw many awards in his illustrious career in the VHL.

This says 1307 but he's listed as 1326?

OT had 1311 so I'm probably just jealous.

18 hours ago, punkhippie said:

Congrats I guess. Didn't know you two were that much younger than me. I was high school class of 2010.

We graduated 2012. He went SFU for nearly five years and I fucked around for three before going to BCIT.

18 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Did you want to share with the VHL world about your movie stuff?

I totally whored myself out in the movie thread already, but I worked on the new documentary, I Am Heath Ledger. :)

4 minutes ago, Sandro said:

We graduated 2012. He went SFU for nearly five years and I fucked around for three before going to BCIT.

I totally whored myself out in the movie thread already, but I worked on the new documentary, I Am Heath Ledger. :)

It's alright. I fucked around at Kwantlen, BCIT, Langara, UBC, and other places and still don't have any post-secondary :cheers:

30 minutes ago, Sandro said:

YEAHHHHH THATS THE ONE. START IT'S OWN THREAD MY MAN