POLL: SBA<->EFL welfare system to VHL

hedgehog337

so?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Except we'e not fighting for the same users. Our user base has very little overlap with theirs. To become a clone of them fills a niche in the market that is already filled. Supply and demand, simple economics. The demand for their type of league is satisfied by them as a league. It doesn't need a second.

Could take the good and add VHL´s twist to it,  make fan590 be worth 2 points, every week there is some league related topic that you need to write about, make it 100 word min for example. Remove the welfare and add activity check that is worth 3 points,  remove the media spot and graphic PT for 6 TPE, add in a mini media spot worth 3 TPE where you write 300 words about topic of your choice or do some kind of graphical piece of similar level etc etc, sky is the limit.  Those alone are better options if you want to bring new users in and have them stay active even if they are busy with other stuff and cant write 500 words each week.  Why go straight to the deep end with this new idea where you give the option to claim 6 TPE from work you did in some other league?

7 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

It's weird, but he became more quiet in both SBA and EFL.

hmmmm yea idk I just hate seeing his dumb fucking avatar and username

just retired my efl player (no tpe) and might remake if there's a way to block him

22 hours ago, Beketov said:

If it helps the way I have been proposing it continuously is that it wouldn’t be the same amount of points. People claiming from another league would be capped at the 6 they earn from it (maybe a tad more) while the others get the full 9 or even an increased 12 cap. There’s still benefit to being more active here. I don’t care for the idea of it means people can get the same amount of points without doing anything in the VHL but I’m fine with it if it means that members can be brought in but not trump loyal VHL members.

Well that's good, but the way I see it either way is that this is being pitched to bring in members with active players and maybe some discussion, which would all indeed be nice.

But let's say I'm a highly active EFL-first fellow who likes the idea of having a solid player here in the VHL too. I can do my EFL PTs, link them over here, update my dude, get 6 TPE a week, comment on games, chat in the locker rooms, talk about hockey on the forums, etc. Those are all good things, but that's also the MAXIMUM I'd expect any non-VHL member to do, i.e. that's the very best case scenario. Because if VHL isn't their main league, why would they discuss most off-topic things on our forum? And if they can't earn more than that 6 TPE/week, then why would get a job? GMs would be just as difficult to come by, as would graders and updaters.

- And even if it is popular with the kids, I feel like it could eventually lead to those people saying "boy it sure is bullshit I can only earn 6 TPE a week when I like this league and am willing and able to all these jobs for you but I just don't want to do 2+ point tasks in a week because I have a life." So then letting them get jobs makes sense.

- But then the members who are VHL-first are saying, "how the shit is this guy earning more TPE than me when he doesn't even do a PT on this league?" So then it makes sense to increase VHL PT-doers weekly cap to 12 or whatever.

- But then we remember that even with the new scale a person doesn't even need 9 TPE/week to be pretty much topped out for the last few seasons of their career, and increasing the weekly cap is just getting them there faster, maybe even leading to some unfair VHLM re-creates. So then maybe it makes sense that the update scale needs tweaking again, or another VHLM overhaul or something.

- But then at this point that change brings about another issue, which this far down is impossible to predict. Or maybe it doesn't and everything is perfect.

I'm not saying this idea isn't feasible. It very well could be, if you chase down the above rabbit hole as long you can. I just want to point out that it's not as simple as originally presented, which you obviously realize. If everyone is ready and willing to change a whole boatload of things to bring in welfare players from other leagues, then that's great, and I'll support it.

But I can't help but point out that that's literally the same reason we implemented welfare in the first place. We wanted to appeal to the SHL members, who at the time (and maybe now), didn't have to do PTs at all really. And I'm of the opinion that put us in a spiral of dumbing down the VHL to continue doing that (non-graded PTs, etc.), to the point that I feel like it's been counterproductive. I'm not saying the exact same thing will happen now that we're doing a very similar thing for two other leagues, but I'd keep that in mind.

Also finally, if there is a lot of motivation to make all the changes I feel like will eventually be necessary as a result of this idea, I'll also re-throw out the idea of a SSN-style merge, as I feel like something like that (while perhaps not possible) may be an easier, more efficient, and perhaps sensible way to achieve the exact same thing this idea is going for. It would remove the need to majorly fuck with the TPE cap, the VHLM, maybe career lengths, etc. But on the other hand, I think it would warrant a new website, which doesn't sound a lot cleaner, haha. My vision would be something like your average sporting website (TSN, Sportnets, etc.) with a collective homepage with some highlights from around the leagues, and then tabs to bring you to each league's forum. Again, that may not be any cleaner than re-writing a shit ton of rules, but I think it's worth bringing up if this idea is being taken seriously.

• 4 weeks later...