I'm Old

image.jpeg.979567a3d19e91cd574f884fad74271f.jpeg

From Advantage's latest media on why he returned:

3 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

MSFL for lyfe

but seriously, this league is the tits

It got me thinking once again back to what was my first sim league, which I figured was about a decade ago. And I was nearly exactly right - the final MSFL game was simmed on May 8, 2008, which is almost exactly one decade ago. And it made me feel very old, but also nostalgic.

The MSFL probably isn't something that a lot of people around here know about, especially given how long ago it was and the long line of mostly failed football leagues that followed it. But in its day, it, along with the RSFL (which I believe YEAH was heavily involved in but not totally sure), were the only two sim leagues that had any sort of longevity. It was the MSFL that added a bunch of player sim concepts that have continued to this day - I recognize probably half the VHL Rule Book because the original one was based heavily off the still-running MSFL's at the time (largely with @Knight having high-up roles in both leagues). It also taught me a lot about refining my personal writing style and engaging in leadership roles, stemming from my then-high school self somehow being trusted with Head Grader and Commissioner roles in the league. The MSFL only lasted five seasons, but that spans more than two calendar years - only having one sim a week and 14 weeks in a season will do that to you. Having been there from beginning to end though, it felt much longer.

But most importantly, it taught me that there are communities where you can have fun online without taking things too seriously or getting too angry. That's a big reason why people like myself, @Jonessee27 and @frescoelmo and others are still kicking around from the MSFL a decade later, because the power of an engaged community is just as fun as the actual games themselves. I turned 28 last week, but as long as I'm still having fun, I see no reason not to still be engaged. It's a getaway. It's also why you see old VHL people popping in and out, even after years away. It's also why, frankly, I'm in support of having a quick trigger on guys like Boubabi who primarily exist to argue - the point is to foster a communal and fun atmosphere, everything else be damned. I'm a whole lot busier now in life than I was in high school, and yes, I'm a hell of a lot older. But I hope to stick around here in some form because this place, just like the MSFL before it, has brought me a lot of joy.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

1 minute ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

But in its day, it, along with the RSFL (which I believe YEAH was heavily involved in but not totally sure), were the only two sim leagues that had any sort of longevity.

Nah, I didn't have any involvement with the RSFL. I didn't join player sim leagues till December 07 (which was the ISL, which was a league that was running at the same time as the MSFL and had some crossover guys from the MSFL like @Doomsday and Diop (presume that was his MSFL name as well), and the first league I helped run wasn't open till January 09 (which was GFA which was ran by @street, I say I helped run it but I wasn't that much of a help, Street did pretty much all the work).

I think the first league I was in with you was The MFA, @ADV and Bookman's league. 

1 minute ago, Tagger said:

Nah, I didn't have any involvement with the RSFL. I didn't join player sim leagues till December 07 (which was the ISL, which was a league that was running at the same time as the MSFL and had some crossover guys from the MSFL like @Doomsday and Diop (presume that was his MSFL name as well), and the first league I helped run wasn't open till January 09 (which was GFA which was ran by @street, I say I helped run it but I wasn't that much of a help, Street did pretty much all the work).

I think the first league I was in with you was The MFA, @ADV and Bookman's league. 

Ah ok,  it all kind of jumbles together once you go back a certain ways. I said I wouldn't run another league post-MSFL and I haven't, respect to people like the current commissioners because it's a hell of a lot of work.

Just now, CowboyinAmerica said:

Ah ok,  it all kind of jumbles together once you go back a certain ways. I said I wouldn't run another league post-MSFL and I haven't, respect to people like the current commissioners because it's a hell of a lot of work.

Too true.

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure someone else has said the same thing about me being involved in the RSFL, so I dunno if I have a similar username/player name as the guy or maybe I said I'd been in RSFL in a post elsewhere, but the league I would have meant then would have been Redzone Supremacy Football League which was another league ran by @ADV, but that was way after the MSFL and was less than a season long.

• Head Moderator

I think I had a slight obsession with the MSFL when I first joined...  dare I say...  2004?  Christ.  I think I got recruited from ABL, which was a GM league.

But yeah, to your point, refining my writing skills went a long way doing the weekly task.  Grading, while monotonous, was equally as important in reading and comprehension (which I still suck ass at).

Edited by frescoelmo

• Commissioner

I’ve akways said he community is what has kept me coming back all these years. I’ve been in the VHL now going on 12 years and was doing sim leagues in some regard at least a year or two before that. If it was just “post x, get y, repeat” it would have gotten very boring very quickly. The community is what keeps things interesting.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, frescoelmo said:

I think I had a slight obsession with the MSFL when I first joined...  dare I say...  2004?  Christ.  I think I got recruited from ABL, which was a GM league.

But yeah, to your point, refining my writing skills went a long way doing the weekly task.  Grading, while monotonous, was equally as important in reading and comprehension (which I still suck ass at).

And you’re the one who got me to MSFL....from where though, I have no idea. 

Or you were just my first GM. I don’t remember. I’m old. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 6:58 PM, omgitshim said:

Most Rushing Yards
2786, Pikachu Jones - Shanghai Scorpions/Roman Legionaries/Portugal Mobsters/Madrid Stampede/Russian Devils 

My legacy will always live on!

I totally missed this until Knight liked my original post, but yoooooooo. Did not realize you were here also, what's up?

7 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I totally missed this until Knight liked my original post, but yoooooooo. Did not realize you were here also, what's up?

Was out of the sim game for a long while until I caught an email from Advantage about the EFL and got sucked back in a few months ago. I slid over here once the full affiliation opened up. 

I remember the original MSFL had an inactive WR named Percy Harvin who was always a monster player, and it was right around the time that the actual Percy Harvin would have been in high school...I always wondered if that was actually him, or at least someone who knew him.

Somewhat linked to the talk of the football sim leagues, I actually just found out today that Madden is finally returning to PC this year after eleven years, that's pretty exciting to me. 

5 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Somewhat linked to the talk of the football sim leagues, I actually just found out today that Madden is finally returning to PC this year after eleven years, that's pretty exciting to me. 

Wat :celtpraise: