Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

5 hours ago, fonziGG said:

1.) How do you think Halifax did in the draft? Any hits or misses?

2.) How was the draft experience for you?

3.) What do you think of our current roster?

4.) How do you predict us doing this season?

5.) What are your goals for the season?

6.) Can you describe the type of player you are?

7.) Any questions about how the league is run?

8.) Tell me something the GM and AGM should know about you?

1) Really happy with the draft class. Some of them are doing insanely well already so keeps me motivated to not fall too far behind

2) Draft started minutes after me signing up, so was surprised to get drafted at all. Both GMs reached out to me right away though so it everything felt smooth from my end. Was happy to get picked

3) Roster looks deep. Look to have that nice mix of scoring, D and a goalie

4) I will predict a conference finals appearance. At that point anything can happen :)

5) Contribute to some wins any way I can. Would be nice if I can squeeze my way up into the top 6 at some point this year

6) A big scoring, physical winger. Hoping to get lots of hits and pot a few goals but not take too many penalties

Edited by studentized

• Quik unpinned this topic

1.) What do you think of our quik turnaround from the harsh start from the season?

2.) Did you have nerves coming into the season? If yes, have you shaken them off yet?

3.) How has the city of Halifax treated you so far?

4.) How has the adjustment been coming into a new league like the VHLM?

5.) Has anyone mentored you so far?

6.) What are your thoughts on the captains that were announced?

7.) Is there something Halifax needs to improve on?

8.) If you could play against anyone in the VHL, who would it be?

6 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

1.) What do you think of our quik turnaround from the harsh start from the season?

2.) Did you have nerves coming into the season? If yes, have you shaken them off yet?

1. It feels great i knew we could do it it feels really good to have played a part in it

2. Of course i had some nerves but those were gone right when i got that first goal

3. I love this city such a great place to end up plus it helps my boys at the trailer park arent too far away

4. Pretty hard to understand at first but i think ive gotten the hang of things

5. The entire locker room has helped me couldnt ask for better teamates

6. Those guys deserve it man i was really happy for them

7. Naw i think were good

8. I dont really know much about the vhl so a team full of halifax alumni would be nice

I'm thrilled! I think this group of vets and news guys like me are just starting to click so don't count us out yet!

Of course, I'm playing at a professional level for the first time in my career but I'm thankful to be surrounded by great players, coaches, and staff to help me adjust.

Halifax is great! Reminds me of the coastal towns back in my home country but the people here are much friendlier and the fans are great.

The adjustment has been a little rocky at the start in trying to figure out where I fit but I'm starting to really figure out the plays and team chemistry.

The coaching staff, the locker room, especially the vets on this team in past seasons are great people to look up to. There are too many to name.

I couldn't be more honored to wear this A on my jersey and proud of the others selected. I hope I can be a role model in the locker room one day.

I think it's hard to tell cause it's so early in the season but I think whatever kinks we have left will be polished and perfected in no time.

Give me some time, I think I could shut down almost any VHL out there in the future. ;)

1 hour ago, fonziGG said:

1) never in doubt. We are going to compete this year

2) nerves subsided after that first game (and first goal). It's still the same game of hockey I've been playing forever

5) everyone in the locker room and active in the forums have been A+ mentors

6) didn't know them well at first, but looking like they were the right choices. All great players and people

7) getting our chemistry and special teams going will be huge. Just a matter of time

8 ) might be nice to score against this Michael Johnson guy ;)

Edited by studentized

It just shows how strong this team is, like I said during the pre-season.

I'm sure everyone had high expectations on me going into this season, but I think I've shown everyone how good I really am.

I love it here in Halifax, everyone has been treating me well and the city is beautiful.

I'm very honored to carry the A this season and I think Kenji, Luciano and Thorvald have shown with their leadership that they were the right choices.

Just some more depth in general, perhaps a few more on defense and a center.

I'm going to Moscow next season and will be playing against my two old buddies from the Marlins. Tate and Marleau who are both playing in Europe. It will be a blast.

1. How did you come up with your name?

2. Do you have any long term VHL goals, HOF, championship, well known player?

3. Why did you pick the position you play?

4. We recently have gone 50/50 on our games, how do you feel about this?

5. We currently have Thorvald Gunnarsson 2nd in shutouts at 4, do you predict our defence/goalie is going to continue playing this hot?

6. Has anybody stood out to you so far, if so who?

32 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

5. We currently have Thorvald Gunnarsson 2nd in shutouts at 4, do you predict our defence/goalie is going to continue playing this hot?

1) Owen Nolan was first sharks captain I remember and scored some insane goals in that time. Had a cool hockey card of his growing up, so he became my favourite player from that era.

2) A championship. Would love to win at both levels, VHLM and VHL. I think we have a fair shot this year. 

3) RW for historical accuracy. Also thought there would be less depth at RW vs LW for some reason but that is definitely not the case on Halifax

4) I think that's normal. Just have to avoid big slumps and maintain at least this level from here on out to make it to the playoffs

5) Very reliable. Even when we get outshot a ton he keeps us in games and we sometimes squeak out a point or two

6) Luciano Valentino for rising up that S68 draft board really fast. Boheem Bismark for putting up what feels like 2 pts per game

My grandmother's favorite opera singer was Luciano Pavorotti and couldn't resist my mother to not carry on her love for him in naming me.

A championship, of course! Besides that, I'd love to make a name for myself as a reliable, intelligent and well-rounded defenseman with legendary status.

There's no better feeling in the world than to match your opponent's speed and anticipating his movements and shutting him down... all skating backwards.

It's rough but everyone goes through a rough patch and tastes dirt before being able to wash that taste out with a sip from the championship cup haha We'll snap out of it.

Of course! Gunnarsson is a monster between the pipes, seeing his play out there makes me as a defenseman want to play my guts out for him to help support him on the defensive zone.

Owen Nolan is really killing it with the number of goals he has in the first season! The guy has 10 right now and that's second on our team, that dude is worth keeping an eye on for sure. 

Pierre Persson is a hitting machine out there that makes a significant difference out there, encourages me to work on my hits for sure!

9 hours ago, fonziGG said:

1. I lack originality lol

2. Want to create a high scoring, career point per game center

3. Center is the most important position on the team

4. Meh

5. Didn’t know this. That’s awesome! Dudes a beast.

6. No one really.

Mix between my real name and one of my favorite players of a local hockey team.

I want to help my team win as many championships as possible, hopefully getting my first with Halifax this season!

I always played defense in all sports when I was young, so it'd feel strange picking another position for my first player in VHL. :)

Not sure, we just need to work even harder than we already do to get that win streak going.

Tied top 2 together with Philly says it all really. Only team with a stronger D is Minnesota. Our only real weakness is our offense, we need to work on it.

I had high hopes on Luciano going into this season and boy has he been playing well for his first year in the VHLM.

It's been my nickname, I just threw a GG at the end of the sake of it.

I just wanna be an all star goalie. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've always played goalie!

I think we could be doing better honestly, but I think thats down to how I'm setting the lines.

He's been incredible. I'm very happy for him and I know he's been working hard to get here.

Outside of Halifax, Hugh Chan (the former Halifax defender). On the Halifax team, Valentino has been an absolute rock at the defence. Super proud of all our first years though!

On 7/22/2019 at 4:27 PM, fonziGG said:

1. Came up with a random name on be a pro and i liked it

2. Just wanna help wanna be a contributor to points and score goals

3. Its the position i play in eashl and be a pro

4. Its a start still early we got time

5. Of course

6. Definitely our Assistant captain Luciano guys name is all over the score sheet

Started with a region then kinda went with some random names in that area.  Mixed and matched until I found a name that flowed well enough.

I want championships.  I will do what I have to to help my teams compete for that.  Individual accolades are all secondary.

I usually play goalie for various sports so it seemed like a good place to start.

I think we should be doing better than that.  It's kinda the reverse of last year where I felt that the team was winning despite my play, this year I feel like I am having a greater impact even when the team isn't all playing as well.

I am having a pretty good year.  I think I found my mojo.  I could see us putting up a few more shutouts.

Luciano has really been seen in all aspects of the game.  Dude plays hard in all three zones.

1) Favourite NHL team and why?

2) Have you ever considered joining a sister league? (SBA, EFL)

3) What are your thoughts on signing Jerry Wang?

4) Are there any sports you like to watch/play outside of hockey?

5) What is your favourite music artist?

6) Who is your favourite NHL player, currently?

Huge Sharks fan thanks to going to games when I was young. I grew up in Maine but was born in California.

I'm a big Lakers fan too (Moreso Kobe than Lebron) so I've been considering SBA!

Solid guy, great skater! Good to have a new face in the locker room and can't wait to see him on ice.

I enjoy Basketball, Tennis, Ultimate and mainly Swimming!

My all-time favorite has always been Tiësto

As said earlier, I'm a big Joe Thornton fan but having played Defense in my younger days I'm also huge fans of Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson (Go figure haha). 

1) Favourite NHL team and why?

San Jose. Started following because I didn't want to cheer for the team my brother liked (leafs) and they had that combination of being new, having a cool logo, and some sweet colours. 

Briefly when I heard about them. Hockey is life though, so don't think I will.

3) What are your thoughts on signing Jerry Wang?

I have none. Cool name I guess.

I watch all of the big 4. Baseball most enjoyable to play

Lots. Franz Ferdinand was the most recent favourite artist I got to see live so i'll go with them 

Jumbo Joe of course but honourable mentions to Cooch and EK65

1) Favourite NHL team and why?

Washington.  Grew up in the area and now live in the same area as their AHL team.

Doubtful for me.  I don't have the time right now and really enjoy my time here so I would rather focus on just one league.

3) What are your thoughts on signing Jerry Wang?

Always good to get new talent.  This is my last season in the minors so I hope he can help us reach our goal.

Baseball, Football, F1, Lacrosse, Boxing.  I like sports.

I enjoy quite a few but we will go with Psychostick for this answer.  Mostly because of how enjoyable they are as a band and the music they play is awesome.

Ovechkin.  Gotta give mad respect to the man who finally brought a cup to DC.  Plus he's a human highlight reel, always entertaining.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, fonziGG said:

1) Detroit, I grew up in MI around the end of the Russian Five era, I can't not like my hometown team, especially the direction they're heading. Only other team I really consider myself a fan of  is Vegas because they're the first expansion in my memory, and their playstyle the first year was really cool to watch.

2) Nah, no real interests in the sports or communities.

3) I mean personally I think it was a smart move on the front office's part.

4) Play Lax and Roller, watch Football, kind of play Rocket League somewhat competitively but esports don't really count.

5) Oliver Tree currently.

6) Tyler Bertuzzi, #CalvertDeservedIt

1.) With the WJC coming up, who do you predict to win?

2.) Would you like to participate in future international competitions?

3.) How do you rate our performances so far?

4.) Who is your favourite team in the VHL?

5.) How do you anticipate the 2nd half of the season so far?

6.) Has there been anyone who has caught your eye on a different team? Why?

6 hours ago, fonziGG said:

1) I want to say team world. I feel like there are a bunch of good VHLM prospects from less common countries

2) Absolutely. It would be cool to be a part of team Western Europe at any level. To medal, even just bronze, would be huge.

3) I've done ok. Moved up the lines quickly and have been given plenty of chances to succeed. Have become the goal scorer for the line, which was my goal, but want to be a force throughout the league and still a ways away from that

4) I'm liking what Moscow is doing this year the most. I pretty much like all so far though, except Toronto. Too dominant already

5) I hope it bodes well for Halifax, and we really show that we can compete for the cup

6) Z. Miniti on Ottawa. Its almost unfair how easily that guy scores

Having been selected on Team Europe, I'd like to predict that we'll go all the way! I think the team has great talent across the board and looking forward to seeing what we can do.

Having this is my first ever WJC, I'd love to gain more experience in the international arena and rep my home country again!

Seeing how we drop a spot, I think that there's a lot of hidden game that we've yet to unleash on our opponents. I don't think our recent splits have done us justice on what kind of team we are and we know it!

I've been following the VHL a bit and mainly watching players who I enjoy watching playing and I think Jerry Garcia of Malmo is a monster on Defense with shot blocks and hits. So I've found myself catering towards their matches recently.

Of course, I hope that we can gain that #4 spot back in the standings, I think we've gathered enough time in getting our feet wet as a new bunch and now strap down and crush the remainder of the season with a strong finish going into the playoffs.

Condor Adrienne on PHI Reapers, that guy can not only play a stellar defensive game but he'll make you pay in the O-zone with his great skating and effortless scoring. 

My bet is on World, even though I hope Europe will make it all the way. Team World seems to have a good and strong team overall.

This is my second international tournament, so heck yeah! The more hockey I get to play the better.

I'd say we are doing okay, but not as good as I first thought we would at the start of the season. Hopefully we can start climbing again.

Can I say any other team than Moscow? Looking forward to playing there next season.

Hopefully we can get some consistency going, right now we destroy one game, only to get killed the next.

I wouldn't say so, no. But I've been keeping my eyes on my former team mates in San Diego, Dalton Wilcox and Alex Pearson and the've really grown this season.

1.) What do you think of how we’re currently doing?

2.) How are you enjoying the VHLM this season? Any suggestions for improvement?

3.) What stats are you focusing on for your player?

4.) What is your favourite thing about Halifax?

5.) What are your thoughts on the GM, Thranduil, stepping down?

6.) Do you have any suggestions for the new GM?

1.) What do you think of how we’re currently doing?

I think we're doing great given the 5 game win-streak we're on! I hope is for us to keep the momentum going forward.

2.) How are you enjoying the VHLM this season? Any suggestions for improvement?

It's my first VHLM season so my input is pretty limited but given the opportunities, the league has given its players in getting more experience and the great leadership here in HFX, I honestly don't have any gripes at all and look forward to where my career takes me.

3.) What stats are you focusing on for your player?

Currently, I'm trying to bank as many points I can to help bolster my defense as high as I can before tuning up the rest of my stats like skating, puck handling, passing, etc.

4.) What is your favourite thing about Halifax?

The locker room and the staff that takes great care and attention of its players.

5.) What are your thoughts on the GM, Thranduil, stepping down?

I know I'll definitely miss him cause if it were not for him reaching out and taking a chance on me on Draft day then I don't know where I would have ended up so I thank him greatly for allowing me to be a part of a great club!

6.) Do you have any suggestions for the new GM?

He has been helping me out since day one giving me great advice and mentorship throughout my rookie year and genuinely cares about the players. I think that kind of approach is one of a kind and I wouldn't want him to change a thing cause it definitely worked for me!